Looking for viper mate

bdherh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been on the fence on buying another exotic to go with my 08 coupe for about 6 months. I've bounced back and forth between a Gallardo (09-10), F430, R8 or FGT. My biggest problem is if I go with one of those, I would probably sell the viper, because I dont want to have that much money in my garage not being driven. I've looked at depreciation, maintenance, etc and out of those the Ford wins. But the question remains, do I want to sell the Viper? Mine is VVO and I bought it new and keep it that way and everyone comments because that color is rare. So I've been looking at a ZR1, 911 GT3 or GT-R. I really like the ZR1, but it is not anything special looks wise. Any opinions on any of the above from people that actually own any of the ones mentioned?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounded like you were looking for a companion here. and no doubt, you would find it...lol

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it was me I'd be between the Gallardo and Ford GT. We had a similiar debate a few months ago on VA and the Ford GT won hands down.

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford GT and there value is on the rise also keep the viper.

OP
OP
B

bdherh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is what I wish I could do. But if the FGT, then Viper is gone. That was my original thought but I cant afford a $170k FGT and a $65k Viper. If I bought the ZR1, I could have both. Nice problem to have but as good as the FGT, still not sure it is what a Viper + ZR1 is.

OP
OP
B

bdherh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT3 RS is really a coin toss between that and the ZR1. Besides the lighter weight and 20 more HP and better looks, is the RS worth the extra 20k? I really like the looks of them

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could never part with the snake.

FGT is a great performing car but im on of the very few who dislike the look

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is so easy, dump the Viper and get the Ford GT. Why would you compromise? The Vipers are currently losing value and your 1 of 1 or what ever color deal you have is not a big deal yet. If you plan on keeping the car for 40 yrs, well maybe it will show it's value. The GT is the real deal and everyone knows it. Think about this, when the newest Z06 came out and beat the Viper, it started the slow fall of Viper pricing. It took some of the allure of the snake being unbeatable and many of the Viper owners who were posers started to sell off their cars.

The GT has come and gone and it's certainly not the fastest car or the fastest at the Ring, but everyone still wants that car. Think about it. Get the GT! Don't take this the wrong way, but when you get tired of the GT and have the urge to get the latest new toy, you can sell the GT for close to what you paid and buy a new Gen V Viper. Either way it's smarter money to own the GT.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is so easy, dump the Viper and get the Ford GT. Why would you compromise? The Vipers are currently losing value and your 1 of 1 or what ever color deal you have is not a big deal yet. If you plan on keeping the car for 40 yrs, well maybe it will show it's value. The GT is the real deal and everyone knows it. Think about this, when the newest Z06 came out and beat the Viper, it started the slow fall of Viper pricing. It took some of the allure of the snake being unbeatable and many of the Viper owners who were posers started to sell off their cars.

The GT has come and gone and it's certainly not the fastest car or the fastest at the Ring, but everyone still wants that car. Think about it. Get the GT! Don't take this the wrong way, but when you get tired of the GT and have the urge to get the latest new toy, you can sell the GT for close to what you paid and buy a new Gen V Viper. Either way it's smarter money to own the GT.

Wrong on a few levels, there. First of all, not all Vipers are losing value. If you have a Gen. 1 or 2, prices have hit bottom and are climbing back up (IMHO). And any other so-called "decline" in Viper prices are not due to the "newest Z06 beating the Viper", or this "beating" that, by any means. I am venturing to guess that most people don't own a Viper directly because one car has beaten the other car in any given "race of the month", or whatever.

Agreed that the FGT probably makes more sense for the OP, but for you to propose "dumping" a Viper supercar because "prices are going down" really doesn't sound very logical or...umm....Viper "friendly"...

:nono::nono::nono:

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The FGT is great if your going to look at it in your garage. If you drive it, the value will start to go way down. Get a used Gallardo for the exotic wow your looking for and keep the Viper for driving on the weekends.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You may want to move carefully with the Ford GT. There have been some issues cropping up with the gauges failing which run big bucks to fix if you can find parts. Suggest you explore the Ford GT site and carefully read all the posts regarding problems. They are not as bullet proof as our Vipers are. Also, a Ford Gt with many miles really drops in price. Most are garage queens for this reason.---Dave

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper and ZR1 would be one badass garage to open the door too. On the hand, the Ford GT is a safe bet if you only wanted 1 car.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew I'm just speaking the truth, and not from an emotional stand point. Gen I, II, III, and IV are steadily losing value, nothings bottomed out, just like the real estate market. Rich guys buy new cars, average Joe's like myself buy used Vipers. Most average Joe's are headed toward the poor house in this market. Untill that changes, The poor mans Viper Gen I and slightly less poor mans Viper Gen II will just keep falling in price. I love my Gen II, but I'm not going to bury my head in sand and pretend that I have not taken a huge hit on the car in the last 7 yrs.

Though most Viper owners will never acknowledge the truth, The Z06 is 100% the reason why prices started falling on the Vipers in '06. Anyway, I still think the Ford GT is the best automotive invest out there currently, bar none.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven the ZR1 but not the Lamborghini . I have had 9 Vipers and 3 GTs. I currently have 3 Vipers and 2 GTs. IMO, there is nothing out there that looks and drives like a GT. Then again my latest purchase was another 2010 Viper vert--can't stay away.

The ZR1 is a wonderful car. My only complaint is they made too many and did not distinguish the appearance enough from the 40k coupe. I love Vettes, however.

My GTs have been as bullet proof as my Vipers and even high mileage GTs and salvage GTs bring stupid money. I get calls all the time from folks wanting my Heritage GT up to 230 or more. Some folks have had gauge failures but I have had none with 3 cars and none of my GT friends have had such failures. I continue to blame it on weak batteries . I have friends with more than 70,000 miles on GTs and no issues.

If you can swing it, I would say keep the snake and buy a GT but don't wait. Non Heritage GTs have gone up 10-15k in recent weeks which sadly may have something to do with the car and the dollar.

OP
OP
B

bdherh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT was my original first pick. I was going to sell the Viper and buy one. Already had a buyer for the Viper. But a buddy of mine and both wifes went on a weekend road trip over the summer. He took his GT and I took my Viper. We stayed at 3 different hotels in 3 different parts of Austin. Starting off, he had to put some of his luggage in my Viper. Imagine a Viper being a SUV! But mine had more room in the hatch. The GT has NO room for anything. His wife had to put the other bag under her feet the whole way. Also, he had to make sure and tell the valet each place not to let anyone park next to him or else they could not get in the car because of those stupid doors. I will say, that my Orange viper got as many if not more looks that his white GT. That "kinda" soured me on the GT and left me to not wanting to get rid of the Viper for the huge price difference. So that is when I started looking and came down to a ZR1 or GT3 RS.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew I'm just speaking the truth, and not from an emotional stand point. Gen I, II, III, and IV are steadily losing value, nothings bottomed out, just like the real estate market.

Respectfully disagree with you. Gen I and II have bottomed out in my opinion, whereas you may have a point with Gen III's and newer....

OP
OP
B

bdherh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Andrew. I paid $68k for my 08 coupe (the week before the bankrupcy) which was a leftover. I have a buyer for it now for $65. Not bad for having it almost 3 years.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew, I hope your right and I'm wrong, I guess only time will tell.

Bdherh, wow timing is everything. How did you buy a new car for such a discount?

OP
OP
B

bdherh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said, it was a leftover that was sitting for about 5 months. If you remember gas prices were through the roof the previous summer and killed the Viper market. Also the market meltdown had already started and Chrysler was about to go down, plus the dealer had another 2009 sitting next to it. They pretty much gave me all of their holdback, incentives, etc just to get it sold.

That being said, I took a bath on my 06 coupe when I bought it, but the 06 market was already bad since the 08's came out.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bdherh

I would not buy a Viper or GT based on luggage space. The head engineer on the GT once told me that the Viper could hold a golf bag and their goal was for the GT to hold a sleeve of balls. If you really really try you can fit clothes etc in the GT behind the seats and in the front compartment.

As to the "stupid" doors I assume you know the GT is based on the GT40 of the sixties and those doors served a very important design criteria of the racing of the times ( namely jumping in the cockpit)

OP
OP
B

bdherh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt say I was buying it for luggage space. But I will say if I want to take a 3 day road trip with my wife, I dont want to have to buy my clothes/etc when I get there. At least my Viper has enough room for that. The front compartment will fit an Ipad and that is about it. Like I said, my buddy had to put one of his bags in my car.

As for the doors, I understand the history, but if you go to somewhere that does not have a valet and some idiot parks next to you, you cannot get in the car. Not a bad thing from historical perspective but it is if you have to wait in the parking lot until they come back to their car.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the GT was never really meant for you. Different priorities for different folks.

Viperdrummer, you've got a dream list there, love the CTS-V and the GT, the Vipers go without saying.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a symbolic time piece with little or no depreciable impact go with the FGT....as mentioned earlier the GTs are increasing in value......I highly recommend the GT....you can always buy another Viper when your personal conditions permit. Over 6 thousand mile GTs are going in the 155 - 160 thousand range while under 2 thousand miles ones from 170 to 180 thousand.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe no one has said this yet, get another viper and keep both! The GTS is the only one that I see climbing in price right now! I've been looking for a decent gts for the last few months and I can't find one under low to mid forties. What's a better viper mate than another viper:dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery