Looking to replace the Viper with a new one

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of you guys know that a year ago I debated the same exact thing, getting rid of my custom GEN1 and replacing with a GEN2. I really need real windows and that is the bottom line. I would use the car SO much more, probably my first choice would be a GTS, but would definitely go with a nice 99-01 RT/10. I wanted to ask the opinions of some of you guys that have traded your Viper's with dealers....Am I wasting my time with these Viper dealers, BJ, Dodgevipersforsale.com, premier cars, woodhouse, etc...? How fair are they when trading in a car? I just think that would be so much easier than selling outright, gettitng 100 phone calls. What do you guys think? Here is my VCA classified ad.....

http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showproduct.php?product=244

Thanks,

Dealmaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put up with the phone calls and sell it yourself. One of the dealers you mentioned told me my 2001 GTS/ACR Sapphire with Silver stripes and 2000 miles, still under bumper to bumper Dodge warranty was worth............$52,000 and that a 2000 ACR Red no stripes with 9ooo miles was worth $42,000 What would that make yours worth to them?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought mine from BJ Motors and the car was perfect and Bernie was a real pleasure to deal with, I highly recommend them. They have a garage FULL of beautiful GTS's too. They are right in Virginia and even if you are not local I actually bought mine sight unseen and the car was as expected when I picked it up. Not sure about trade-ins since I did not have one. :2tu:

jbrasco70

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No disrespect for dealers but they prettymuch are ripoff's .Youre car looks great! You should def get what you want for it especially after the money time and amore that went into it.GOOD LUCK.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call bill pemberton of woodhouse. he made me a great deal when i bought mine and is VERY easy to deal with. but i also hear a lot of good things about BJ motors...

go for it. but plan your mods. if ya really wanna do mods....keep it 97-99 for the forged internals

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ended up trading my 94 Gen1, highly modded, to a dealer in New York because I had it for sale for SO long and got a bunch of tire kickers I just got tired of trying to sell it! Had it for sale for a year. Everybody wanted my car but nobody had the money. Sure, I lost my ass but I have no regrets whatsoever. I too, was tired of having no windows. It got really old that is why I "traded up" to a GTS. Either way, if you find a dealer that will take your old car on trade, you will not get out of it what you want.

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight fellas I certainly appreciate it. I will try the 2 dealers mentioned here for the heck of it. Mods are hard to say, they will probably be more visual than performance, but you never know! Honestly my very first preference would be a 00' Steel Grey/cognac GTS, a close second for me would be an 01 Sapphire/Cognac. I know the 99's are the last year for the forged pistons, which I would much rather have, but they didtn' make the colors i am really hot over in 99 or before. On the other hand, I would totally go for a 96/97 Blue/white as well. I am not necessarily looking for a super low mileage car, just one that is as mint and cared for as mine. I would go for black as a 3rd choice if the deal was right. Too bad they didn't make an Emerald Green GTS:D .

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
throw it up on ebay or in the classifieds here. its certainly clean and cared for enough. someone might just jump on it. ya dont know if ya dont try.... :)

put a realistic price tag on it and go for it

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James,

You have a beautiful car. I'm sure it must be tough letting it go. Here's a '00 steel grey/cognac at Naples Motor Sports http://naplesmotorsports.com/00_gray_rt10_4k.htm . I bought my RT/10 from them last March. I'm very happy with them except for their prices which have historically been on the high side. It took a lot of negotiation but they came through. Good luck and enjoy hunting for your new beast.

- Tony

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No disrespect for dealers but they prettymuch are ripoff's .

What you call ripoffs other folks consider security. The market is tough for private sale these days. I'm selling for a friend a beautiful yellow 2001 RT/10 for a reasonable negotiable price and haven't had many real bites. People feel comfortable buying from a dealer like Woodhouse or Tator. I'm just some guy with 12,000 posts. :)

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i thought it was odd that he made near $100 million dollars and bought a viper.

sorry, but with that kind of coin, i would be buying enzos, gt-40s, lambos, saleens, etc.

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James,

You have a beautiful car. I'm sure it must be tough letting it go. Here's a '00 steel grey/cognac at Naples Motor Sports http://naplesmotorsports.com/00_gray_rt10_4k.htm . I bought my RT/10 from them last March. I'm very happy with them except for their prices which have historically been on the high side. It took a lot of negotiation but they came through. Good luck and enjoy hunting for your new beast.

- Tony

I have actually been to their place, all their cars are beautiful, i would totally have no issue buying there, my only problem would be Trade #'s, especially if their prices are high, which they pretty much are. But that car is AMAZING.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you call ripoffs other folks consider security. The market is tough for private sale these days. I'm selling for a friend a beautiful yellow 2001 RT/10 for a reasonable negotiable price and haven't had many real bites. People feel comfortable buying from a dealer like Woodhouse or Tator. I'm just some guy with 12,000 posts. :)

That Yellow RT/10 you're selling is a great deal. I'm surprised it hasn't sold.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have actually been to their place, all their cars are beautiful, i would totally have no issue buying there, my only problem would be Trade #'s, especially if their prices are high, which they pretty much are. But that car is AMAZING.

You never know until you try. The worst thing that could happen is that you can't come to an agreement. Go for it!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh gosh, James~~~I'm so SICK :omg: that you are wanting to sell/trade in your absolutely gorgeous car...BUT I do understand about the windows...we agree the '96-'97 blue/white GTS IS the epitome of Vipers...such a beautiful car. I really would hate to not see your vehicle around anymore, it's such a rare gem!!! I'm QUITE sure that Bill Pemberton possibly could help you out? Or of course, Chuck Tator...no doubts. I'd be really sorry to see your beautiful car go though--it's a TRUE classic, IMHO. **sigh** (would have to take it off my screensaver??? NOOOOOO, you can't take it away!!! :( :( ) Ah well, you gotta do what you gotta do, Good Luck in your search!!! :cool: :cool: All my best~~juli

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys thanks for the leads from the dealers. I am working on some stuff. Juli thanks for the comments....seriously the car is for sale you can buy it if you want.....:D ......I am sure one way or the other this will work out. I can't tell all of you guys how much i appreciate your tips/ help in this matter. This club is truly the greatest car club in the world. I am proud to be a member. :usa:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James--If I could buy your car, I would in a heartbeat, NO hesitation whatsoever...your car is the best set-up I've EVER seen--the color/the hardtop--it's just a very rare gem and a beautiful car. Hope you find what you are looking for, and I'll keep the screensaver!!
GOOD LUCK~~~juli

V

Venomiss

Only interested in a '99 or older? The reason I ask is that the VP of the KC Club has his '98 GTS for sale. It is a clean car-he takes it apart each winter to clean everything...
PM if you are interested in info.
Mary

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys thanks again for all of your advice. One thing specifically I wanted to point out is that Bernie from BJ motors really is a car buyers dream. He took the time to understand my wants and needs, my "unique" car to work with me. He made me a more than fair offer on a trade except his car was red, which is really the only color I did not want to pick. Otherwise I would have already made the deal. He has some feelers out on other cars, I have bought and sold many cars for over 14 years now, and I have to say I have never dealt with a more fair or honest person than Bernie, I really hope he can find me the right car because I want to buy from him. So thanks again to all those who recommened him. :2tu: Wish me luck in making the right deal!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJames--We certainly DO wish you good luck in your search for the car that suits YOU the way you want it. So far, looks good for June 30th, though we will be one of last to arrive (not tracking the Viper), held back by morning work....hope to be there around 11am or so. The incentives we just could not resist: YOU with your gorgeous emerald green Viper; Chuck Tator's offer to possibly 'ride along' with him; and seeing the other Vipers AND Aston Martins there. Like you, we are not as fond of red cars, just a personal preference! (Sorry Chuck~~hope that didn't disqualify us from riding along!! ;) :drive: :dig: )
Sounds like an AWESOME day...too bad no more 120mph trips on a highway though~~~!!! The VERY best of luck to you, and we'll see you soon! ~juli~

Last edited:

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same questions when I was buying my 06. Decided it was easier trading it in then selling on my own. Since you are close to New Jersey you may want to call Darren Buhler of Buhler Dodge , great guy, fair and honest and close to your home. By the way I love the 06 compared to my 96. Good Luck.

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan James. Good luck with the new car purchase.

Thanks...to be honest the more I have been thinking about this and researching, the more towards a 96/97 Blue/ White GTS is going to be the winner....However the stock rims i really DON'T like...It would need some HRE 545's 19/20 or some Stock 5 Spoke SRT's. Whatever i buy will be dolled up like the current ride...no worries!

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 2 months of this stuff I have dropped the price to $35k. I am really surprised I did not have more action so far. I would take $34k if it was a quick and painless trainsaction with no bs....I am being realistic? Or nuts?:dunno:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 2 months of this stuff I have dropped the price to $35k. I am really surprised I did not have more action so far. I would take $34k if it was a quick and painless trainsaction with no bs....I am being realistic? Or nuts?:dunno:

James--I'm so sorry that you have the frustration of selling the car...I also am VERY surprised....people need to really LOOK at your car in person....it's unbelievable, and a GREAT value. Wish I could help you out more. Our best to you, may you sell quickly AND then get the Viper of your dreams (though YOURS is the Viper of MY dreams!!)
~juli~

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James I am still looking, hopefully I can help! I am out of town and will try and work something out when I get back. Keep plugging away but don't be discouraged the market is a little soft.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang