Looks Like I have a Leak by the A/C Condenser

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The A/C on my 98 GTS was working great after having it charged up and a couple of O rings replaced last summer but it stopped blowing cold last week. I took it back to the guy that did the work last time and he used an ultraviolet light and found a leak on the Driver's side lower fitting into the condenser. I could see it through the grill. He said it was either the line or the seal or maybe something nicked the condenser and that the fascia may need to come off. So I have to drop it off next week and of course as I was pulling away 2 of his younger looking mechanics were gawking at my car all the way out.

Anybody else have anything like this ?

Last edited:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my evaporator replaced twice before they correctly identified the leak as being in the condensor. Had that replaced and have had cool air ever since... going on 7 years.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I ran over to walmart and grabbed an 18 ounce can of r134a with the gauge for $14.88. Just refilled it. It took about half a can to get the needle midway into blue and she's blowing cold as ice again. When i unhooked the line from the valve I noticed a little bubbling around the seat of the needle. The cap does appear to have an O ring and there wasn't any visible leakage but I'm going to keep an eye on it. If I have to charge it once a season I can probably live with. Worse comes to worse I'll bring it in sometime later in the fall.

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the condenser replaced on my '98 GTS last year. Leaking in lower driver's side corner. Viper Tech told me that the R134A corrodes the condenser. Did NOT have to remove the fascia.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a slow leak for years in my '01
Tried everything to fix it:(. Now I just charge it every spring and it lasts 'til fall.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just searched for the post I made when my a/c was charged and some other work was done and it was 8/23/2010. So exactly a year ago. I guess I'll see how long the charge lasts before I yank the front fascia off again.

I have had a slow leak for years in my '01
Tried everything to fix it:(. Now I just charge it every spring and it lasts 'til fall.

steelskeet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used NuCalgon EasySeal in my hunting jeep for an evaporator leak that was difficult to get to, the dash would have had to come out.
A friend who does HVAC repair swore by it. I typically thought most "stop leak" products were bogus. I figured what the hell and shot in
1.5oz and topped off with a can of 134a. That's been 2yrs ago and I started up the jeep this week to get it ready for Dove season and it
was still blowing nice and cold.

No I haven't used it in my Viper and if the leak in the Jeep was in a easily fixable area I would have just fixed the leak. But this stuff did work on the
jeep. Here is the website http://www.nucalgon.com/EasySeal/index.htm

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever try the Easy Seal stuff by Nucalgon mentioned above??
Is this the area all seem to have problem with? (i wiped up area, btw)

You must be registered for see images attach

I have very,very small drop from this area after driving. Didn't look like coolant, oil, or any other fluid. Kinda reddish/gold and oily.
Prolly not enough to replace hose/seal. Just wondering if any potential no-no's using leak sealant on A/C.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same issue and I used the EZ Chill with sealant to recharge the system and it seems to be holding now.

You must be registered for see images attach

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever try the Easy Seal stuff by Nucalgon mentioned above??.....

i have used a similar product on an old central a/c system and it worked like a charm

i have also used red angel with very good results (in a mercedes, not the viper) - looks like similar stuff and packaged for automotive use

You must be registered for see images

http://www.usasealants.com/products/red-angel-one-shot-ac-stop-leak-conditioner/

.... Just wondering if any potential no-no's using leak sealant on A/C.

some of the old tech stuff is bad (for other components & future repair work) but the new (more expensive) stuff like these CLAIM to be no problemo

(read the last few posts for the counterpoint: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/653579-Hmmm....A-C-Recharge-Am-I-on-the-Right-Track)

btw, i would not hesitate to use these again in the proper situation, ymmv

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery