Lotus Elise vs. Viper

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A year ago, before I bought the GTS, I left a deposit on a Lotus Elise. I have been a big fan of these cars for years. My plan was to sell the Viper when the Elise came in.

I just took delivery of it 3 weeks ago. Performance wise I is more then I expected. I handles like a go cart. It gets more attention then the Snake, which is saying alot. But it is extremely uncomfortable. just to get in and out requires practice. A friend of mine actually got stuck inside, had to pull him out with both hands. Another time when I went to a club, my girlfriend flashed everyone outside while getting out, wouldn't have been so bad if everyone wasn't staring our way because of the car.

As much as I like the Elise, I can't give up the Viper for it, it's not even close, so I sold the Elise yesterday.

Vipers rule!!!
Bill

7460DSC00435-thumb.JPG

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you stayed with the snake. :2tu: Do you think you could make that pic any smaller? :D Give us a bigger pic if you can.

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check my gallery, larger pics there.

I would have loved to keep both, but don't have enough garage space, and would have been a little tight on the budget.

Bill

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
which would you say performed better??

0 - 60 ?
est 1/4 mile ?

ect?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the new (for U.S.) Elise. It is the polar opposite of the Viper. Two vastly different approaches to going fast. :2tu:

I know that I'd never trade the Viper for and Elise, but the new Elise would be on my short list if I was looking at getting another fun car in addition to the Viper. :cool:

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the lotus is one ugly ass car i cant imagine it getting more "positive" attention than a viper
If that is true it's only because it's brand new and people have never seen one before. In no way is the Elise in the same universe as a Viper. It looks like a Toyota MR2...fugly!!!

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can truly understand People who are crazy about two opposite Cars...

Look at me; Viper GTS and 70 Challanger on one side, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6 TME and two early Lancers on the other...

They all make fun in one way.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperama, I know how you feel. Some people think if it didn't cost at least 70k and have the biggest motor on the planet then it *****. I've made believers out of allot of them when I hand them their a** with a 1.3 liter RX-7! Or out corner them with my Elise or one of the Mini's. They're just missing out on allot of fun.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a deposit on the Elise. My number came up, but I decided not to buy. I think it is a great car, but shouldn't cost over $40K.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperama, I know how you feel. Some people think if it didn't cost at least 70k and have the biggest motor on the planet then it *****. I've made believers out of allot of them when I hand them their a** with a 1.3 liter RX-7! Or out corner them with my Elise or one of the Mini's. They're just missing out on allot of fun.

Bill keep in mind your also an AWESOME tuner so of course they have no chance.

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like a Toyota MR2...fugly!!!

That's funny. I said the same exact thing when I first saw one in traffic. Thought it was some ricer punk with a blinged-out MR2. When I got closer and viewed the Lotus badging, I said :confused: , then
You must be registered for see images

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a nice car. If you do not mind me asking, did you make or loose money on the sale of the car?

I broke even. I sold it within a few hours of listing it. If I hadn't opted for a quick sale I could have made money.

gen2rt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a deposit down for an Elise since last March and finally got to drive one today. I was really trying to talk myself out of it by the way.
I was surprised by two things. First, I was expecting a little stronger pull on the top end. I have a '98 M3 (240 hp) and have test driven an 05 Subie STI. I was expecting something faster than the M3 and about equal to the STI. Instead, the Elise felt a little sluggish up to 6,000 and from there to 8,000 picked up nicely, but not nearly anything like the STI. The altitude here, 5,000 ft might have hurt it some though. Overall, I'd say acceleration is roughly equal to the M3, but slower than the STI. The STI by the way is the first car I've driven lately that comes close to giving the Viper a run for it's money - think 7/8 scale. Pretty good in other words.
The second surprise was the Elise was put together much nicer than I was expecting. I keep reading on the Lotus forum from new owners about things falling off, loosening up, not working. Maybe they do, but this test-driver with 2,000 miles (many of them track) felt tight, quiet, and seemed to be holding together well.
If I had to sum up in one word my impression of the Elise, it would be: tool. That car is a tool for the track, and was probably the mission the engineers had in mind when they designed it. On most courses I think the power of the Viper would blow it away, but it would be a blast to drive because you wear it more than drive it.
While the Viper does allot of things very well, I think the Elise is built for just one thing. Overall, I was impressed.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about adding the Elise to the stable but I don't think I could go back to a low torque car after the Viper.

There's nothing like getting on the throttle in a Viper coming out of a turn! :headbang:

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw one yesterday in a parking lot here in Indy. Looked like a kit car and never gave it a second glance. Never thought it to be an exotic car. Definitely would not be on any wish list of mine, but to each his own.

It looks like a Toyota MR2...fugly!!!

That's funny. I said the same exact thing when I first saw one in traffic. Thought it was some ricer punk with a blinged-out MR2. When I got closer and viewed the Lotus badging, I said :confused: , then
You must be registered for see images

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in Europe you see a lot off them on track days (road course). They are not faster on a track then a Viper and IMO they don't give you that much of a great deal of satisfaction going fast around a track. It's the car (like a go cart) that makes it go fast...not the driver.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth