loud banging in rear (sounds funny eh)

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, the other day, I was out in my 06 coupe, it was about 40 degrees, so ground was pretty cool, car was run easy for about 15 minutes, and I did a moderate roll on in first up to about 4grand, maybe a little higher, but not too much more. As the tires broke loose, I heard a sound like a pinion snubber banging. Actually fairly violently. I am not even sure a viper has a pinion snubber. Anyway, something was banging hard, as soon as I let out of it, it stopped. I have owned previous vipers, including an early 06 coupe, and never had this before. I drove all similarly. Anything to worry about here, or just super bad hook up with cool tires and ground? Thanks, Rich.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snubber?..not on an independent rear suspension. The diff. housing is bolted to the chassis. Some stiffer bushings might help with the hopping but I'm not aware that any exist.

Poly engine and transmission mounts along with motons and non runflats eliminated most of my wheel hop issues. I would like to see some stiffer suspention bushings become available.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep - I'm getting wheel hop on my '06 Coupe as well, and not liking it very much.

I'm considering going to non-runflats, as I've heard regular tires will lessen the hop. Hopefully that will do the trick.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tires will help...wont do the trick . Suspension upgrades are needed to really make a difference.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snubber?..not on an independent rear suspension. The diff. housing is bolted to the chassis. Some stiffer bushings might help with the hopping but I'm not aware that any exist.

Poly engine and transmission mounts along with motons and non run flats eliminated most of my wheel hop issues. I would like to see some stiffer suspension bushings become available.

You have hit the nail on the head. I installed Poly engine mounts, the comp coupe tranny mount, and solid steering rack bushings, along with Michelin Non Run Flats and I no longer have any wheel hop. The car shifts much easier too as the tranny is not moving around. The tires no longer break loose like they did before. But beware, changing the motor mounts is not an easy job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang