Loud Cracking Noise?

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gave a little gas at a stop light, and right after my shift from first to second (good shift, no mistakes), I gave more gas in second and about 1 second after applying the gas, I hear this loud crack kind of like a bone breaking. The car still drove fine, and nothing appeared to be wrong. Any ideas what it was?

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be an exhaust manifold, this happened to me before but not on a viper.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it was really the manifold, lift the hood and you should be able to hear it (with that loud of a crack) and locate it. The dealer should be able to spot it easily.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you broke an exhaust manifold, you would most likely have an exhaust leak. The SRT's manifold exhaust is well protected from this by the flex joint coming off the colector.

Has the car done this again, or is there anything different about it. Could it be possibe you experianced some wheel hop, if you were getting on it.

Take notice, if your shifting handle is torqueing over more than it did, you may have broke the very weak trans mount.

Hard to tell what happened. I've never experianced this before.

Skip White

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to me once in my GTS while moving from a stop light. I checked high and low and couldn't find what caused it. That was around 4 years and many miles ago. Hope that comforts you.

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly06 is right, you would have to hear it. But mind you with me the noise didn't start until 4 days after I heard the crack noise. The rough idle noise was only there when it was cold and then it went away as it warmed up and the metal expanded and the crack closed. It turned out to be a 1.5 inch crack and we welded it. However because your is not old, I am beginning to doubt that it is the manifold. Don't let it ride to long and have it checked out as Kelly06 recommended above.

Ramman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be one of the plastic pulleys failing. I had one go on my 96 GTS power steering pump and had the crank pulley let go on my 04 Ram SRT-10. They make a funny noise when they start to let go. Mine started as a snapping sound and quickly went to sort of a squeaky rattle.

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allblack,

Such a coincidence, I had the same thing happened to my SRT. I think it happened twice now. It happened to me when I was just getting out of my garage. As soon as I step on the gas, then a huge crack noise appeared!! It sounds really scary. :eek: Sounds like something serious had just cracked. But afterward that noise, everything seems fine. Then, the second time...still can't figure out what is it. :confused: :confused:

OP
OP
A

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil - sounds just like what happened to me. After the incident, I've had no other unusual sounds. Its been in my dealer's shop since that for recalls and they found nothin else wrong, so I don't know what exactly it was :confused:

Everything seems to be working fine and I got my corsa installed since so I have no complaints... hopefully it was nothing serious.

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allblack,

I sure hope so too. The bad thing was, it only had one crack noise everytime when it happened and that's it. It's so hard to really find out where it's from. And absolutely no noise afterward....weird!!! :confused:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an exhaust manifold crack and was repaired it was sooo loud when it cracked. could also be the exhaust crossover hitting the frame/body underneath the car.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gap between the crossover and the frame is VERY tight right behing the tip. The sidepipes actually expand (a lot) when the car warms up and the gap gets wider. Still, it's hard to say that the noise it makes under accel is a 'cracking' noise. More like a thunk?

VTen555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I did notice that before the noise I had what I would call unsprung pressure while idling around parking lots with some slapping sounds. Afterwards it seemed to go away.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it is the crossover. I have it hitting the frame on occasion (after modifying the exhaust) when it gets real hot. It is more of a rattle typenoise.

I have not heard the cracking. I have rear end clunking during torque reversals, but that has lessened with time or I am becoming immune to it.

mnsilversrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago....got on it in first and then when I was shifting to 2nd Kaboom! Same cracking noise you guys are describing. I haven't noticed anything wrong since?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not just an SRT problem, I had it happen to my 02 the day I test drove it and once about a week later, haven't heard it since, and that was 6000 miles ago. The sound is quite scary, I expected to see parts laying behind me, I even drove back around the same spot to see.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960