LOUD popping noise>>>

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving my viper this morning and as i'm pulling to the parking lot at work i hear this LOUD pop coming like from the passenger footwell, i even got scared lt sounded like something blew, i stepped out and checked the car and nothing. Went inside and came back out and took it for a spin, now it's HARD to shift the car at least to 2nd and 3rd, anybody might now what could have happened?? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
N

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW 180 views and .. not a word!!! that must be a record!! lol, anyway i drove the car some more(flogged it) and it's working fine and accelerating fine !!!??!!, i still do not know what could have happened, i'll be installing the exhaust i bough this w-end so if i find anything out of the ordinary i'll let you guys know.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW 180 views and .. not a word!!! that must be a record!! lol, anyway i drove the car some more(flogged it) and it's working fine and accelerating fine !!!??!!, i still do not know what could have happened, i'll be installing the exhaust i bough this w-end so if i find anything out of the ordinary i'll let you guys know.
Is it shifting ok now?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does your shifter rise up higher than normal when you punch the throttle?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, maybe a motor mount or trans mount finally snapped open/broke, shifting the drivetrain a little off axis for a while so that the shifter would not properly go over to third. After driving it a bit, the drivetrain is back sitting in the right place.....for now. All this is assuming OEM mounts still in place. They don't last forever.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As already suggested, check the mounts and shifter height if it is shifting ok now.

SERPNT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard a loud popping noise too the other day pulling out of the garage. I put it in first, pulled forward a bit and POP! I stopped and both the wife and looked at each other and said what the hell was that? I thought I had ran over something but that couldn't be because I keep the garage clutter free. After getting out and looking around the car I shrugged it off and went for a ride. No further problems.

OP
OP
N

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AZTVR i'll check the engine mounts, when I change the exhaust on sunday,also it has a POLY trans. mount that I put in about 2 months ago.

Reaction score
AZTVR I'll check the engine mounts, when I change the exhaust on sunday,also it has a POLY trans. mount that I put in about 2 months ago.

If the motor mounts are bad and you just do the trans mount it and its mount take all the rotational pressure when the engine moves, not a good thing that is why I always tell customers to do all 3 mounts or the engine ones first. Make sure you check the trans mount again if the motor mounts are failing as the mount or the brace could be cracked.

F

FrgMstr

If the motor mounts are bad and you just do the trans mount it and its mount take all the rotational pressure when the engine moves, not a good thing that is why I always tell customers to do all 3 mounts or the engine ones first. Make sure you check the trans mount again if the motor mounts are failing as the mount or the brace could be cracked.

Big vote here for Woodhouse motor mounts. Worth every penny. Not a long install.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang