Low Coolant In Overflow??

Viper1722

VCA Member
Reaction score
So I just got my first viper (02 RT/10) a few weeks ago and have been told to check the fluid level in the hidden overflow tank behind the passenger side front wheel. I took my phone and snapped a photo of the current level and there is only about 3/4" of fluid in there. assuming this is NOT good. the seller just had ALL the fluids in the car changed this past April. if this is low now I'm thinking i need to look at everything this guy touched because he didn't know what he was doing...

Any help on the short list of below items would be extremely helpful! Thanks guys!
1. where should the fluid level be in this tank located in the front bumper area? half way up the tank?
2. What is the best process to fill this overflow container? I read somewhere that you can just take the hose off the tank in the engine bay and just funnel some in with a turkey baster. thoughts?
3. what type of fluid should I be using?
4. anything else i should double check that the guy changing all the fluids in April could have missed? ive checked the oil level and the break fluid looks to be at the correct level.

You must be registered for see images attach

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new Viper !!

1. You check the fluid level in the overflow bottle by illuminating the bottle with a LED flashlight held up against the bottle while looking st the vertical slit viewport located in the wheel well just in front of the inner edge of the right front tire. The fluid level with the engine COLD should be kept about halfway up the viewport.

2. Yes, you remove the small hose from the neck of the pressure bottle under the hood and fill it slowly with a turkey baster or very small funnel to the level discussed above.

3. The factory fill was Mopar Coolant/Antifreeze 3 Year Formula...50/50 mix with distilled water. This is a silicate based coolant. Some go to the 5 year formula HOAT.

4. Clutch fluid if often neglected. It is same fluid as brake...needs to be changed regularly...if not serviced/bled willl lead to clutch slave cylinder failure...maybe clutch master cylinder faIlure as well.

5. Get a Service Manual

6. ENJOY your new Beast !!

OP
OP
Viper1722

Viper1722

VCA Member
Reaction score
This is a huge help thank you!! I just order a Service manual earlier tonight lol. good call! Thanks again

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta chime in here. Why not just fill the overflow bottle thru the pressure bottle as instructed in the owner's manual? Seems much more simple than the turkey baster method. Curious, SS

kssssnake

Enthusiast
Venom Member
Reaction score
I guess because it doesn't work? Pull the line, get a tiny funnel and fill it. Done.

OP
OP
Viper1722

Viper1722

VCA Member
Reaction score
it works with just a funnel. i just did it yesterday. thanks for the help guys!

Anyone know of a good viper mechanic in chicago land area?

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm here to make amends. Dusted off my shop manual and whadya know, "remove hose from pressure tank to add coolant to reserve tank" My turkey baster is standing by.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now you know why Vipers come with turkey basters behind the front seat. This clears up a long standing question I had with Dodge, since I received my Viper near Thanks Giving , I just assumed it was a Thanks Giving present from Dodge.

InTheZoneAC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he changed all the fluids he's probably telling you to check the coolant reservoir because there's a chance he never 100% bled/topped off the system. Once you top it off go for a couple of drives and check again after the engine is completely cold. The reservoir should eventually maintain it's cold level.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. buy race ramps (you'll use them again)
2. drive up on said race ramps
3. pop off the front bumper (5-10 min)
4. fill front overflow with distilled water (I used to fill until the dump tube started to drip)
5. top off the upper coolant tank with distilled water

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. buy race ramps (you'll use them again)
2. drive up on said race ramps
3. pop off the front bumper (5-10 min)
4. fill front overflow with distilled water (I used to fill until the dump tube started to drip)
5. top off the upper coolant tank with distilled water
A few of questions come to mind; "pop off the front bumper", do you mean the facia? That takes only 5-10 mins? And why "top off" the tanks with just distilled water? Wouldn't you want to keep the overflow tank at the 1/2 way mark? Curious, GS

WHY U TRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a how to video on how to remove the bumper? You said 5-10 mins but sounds scary to me but I would like to do this and check out my coolant tank/clean up the area under there as well. I haven't found a good video showing just this yet and seems like a good idea for someone that knows it well to make a video :)

Bill W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Pop off the front bumper"? Add distilled water? Wouldn't it be easier to replace a leaking fill hose? And you might want to fill the overflow with a proper mix of distilled water and coolant, or coolant in itself if you're using the premixed type.

Thorz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old post but my questions is related to the OP's question.
When the engine is cold, how much coolant should be present in the pressure tank above the passenger front wheel on the '95 RT/10 (not the overflow tank in front of the passenger wheel)? The owners manual states that when the engine is warm, it should be between the min and max lines but I cant find anything related to when the engine is cold.

Thanks for any help!