low fuel light

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there an adjustment for the low fuel light? I think mine is off. When my light comes on, I still have 4 gallons in the tank. And it comes on often with the new Paxton installed!

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think most cars are set up to were you should be able to get about 50 miles when light comes on. I thought it was some federal thing just like the size of the tank matters so that cars can get a certain distance before re-fueling. For some cars that means 2 gallons, others like our car mean you need about 4, before empty.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Cobra,

I wouldn't run it down that low with a Paxton. You may have some fuel issues under heavy throttle with a low fuel level.

I don't let mine go much below 1/2 but it's modded a bunch. If you lean it out, you can detonate and cause some pretty expensive repairs.

Just my .02 cents.

Dan :headbang:

OP
OP
C

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan:
I don't run it hard when it gets low but I also don't want a full tank and the extra weight if I'm going to "get it on". When I get near a quarter tank, I am hunting for a gas station very easily and sometimes the light comes on before I get there. It seems as if the last half of the tank goes faster.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Per the owners manual you have 4 gallons of fuel left when the light stays on steady. The last half does seem to go down faster on my 2003 also but I tested the 4 gallon light and it is right on.

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am kind of like Viper X,I never worried about the low fuel light because I too never let the gauge get below a half so I don't know if my works or not probably will never know .2003 srt

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran my tank low a couple of times, no light went on and it was well below the empty line.I think mine doesn't work?????????????

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Cobrapilot,

Glad to hear that.

I think the second "half tank" goes faster too. Many times I've filled up at just below the 1/2 tank mark and I've put 11 or 12 gallons in, so our gages may not be too terribly accurate.

Dan