Lower shift boot

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been getting annoyed with how hot my shifter and shifter ring have been getting when the car is up to temp. I pulled my shift boot off and sure enough, the lower boot has a couple large slits in it.

Anyone know why these crack and develope large slits?

What is the easiest way to drill the rivets to install a new one? Can I access them by pulling the upper portion of the center console? I really don't want to do it from under the car.

Thanks.

Also something to keep in mind. There are times where I will darn near miss a 2-3 shift and I think it is because my shifter doesn't like to center that well. I have gone into first gear by accident and had to let off the gas and re-shift. Many times when making the 2-3 shift I will hit the gate between 1 and 3. Very annoying. My theory is the cracked lower boot somehow restricts the shifter centering. The slits in it are probably 2 inches long each.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
many times they cut the boot to install a skip shift, you can change your shifter for a mgw that will fix the problem with the shifting also changing the motor and tranny mounts will help. to fix the boot you can used a bike tire repair kit works great or replace the boot by drilling them out.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've had so many issues with the rubber boot tearing that I now simply pull the console and tape the slits together with black Gorilla tape, which works pretty well.

You can pull the console, drill out the rivets from inside the passenger compartment, install a new boot and re-install the rivets. I think these rivets are 1/4 inch thick, so you might need to buy a larger riveting tool, I did. Some of the "boot replacment" kits even came with new "drywall type" expanding fasteners with screws.

On the "missing the 2 to 3 shift", it is very common within our group and is mostly (you might not want to hear this) driver error. Before buying another shifter, try this:

Before you attempt the 2 to 3 shift, pull your right elbow close to your side, touching it. Then PUSH, don't grab, the shifter towards 3rd gear. If you do this correctly, the shifter will slip right into 3rd gear every time. Many of our guys grab the shifter ball, then try to muscle the shifter into 3rd gear while holding it. This doesn't work very well. They don't realize that as their body moves a bit, the shifter ball, when grabbed, moves with their body, making shifts inconsistent.

You'd be surprised how many guys in our local club complain about the shifter mechanism in the Gen III cars. While they do wear and don't "center" very well, a careful, correct technique will eliminate this issue......or you can switch to the new TR6060 trans which centers much better.

Finally, I've been told by a couple of manual trans "rebuilders" that the "centering problem" is within the trans itself, so no shifter change will improve that condition.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
J

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Dan, I will have to go get some tape now, much cheaper than a new boot!

To clarify my shifter centering problem, sometimes when I move the shifter to the left to align with 1st and 2nd gear, I can let the shifter go completely and it won't return to center. It will move, it isnt frozen in place, but it is like the springs are not strong enought to recenter the shifter. No doubt a miss shift is driver error, but I would feel better knowing if my shifter centered itself properly, I wouldn't miss the 2-3 shift nearly as much.

Next time I see you I will have to get you to sit in my car.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're running the OEM style shift handle with the exposed steel shaft, it will get hot to the touch whether or not the inner boot is in place. Heat eventually transmits from the tranny right up the linkage into the shaft handle. The metal trim ring on the console will benefit from an intact inner boot, however. A lot of guys run short shifters such as the MGW race knob, and this eliminates any contact of your hand to the metal part of the shift lever, insulating the driver from the heat source.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hi Jon,

My 2006 coupe does the same thing you describe, i.e. the shifter does not center without some help. One thing that I've found that helps is putting the shifter in 3rd gear while the car is parked in the garage. For years I and likely most others put the car in 1st gear when parked out of habit, not realizing that the centering "spring force" is compressed for long periods of time which weakens it.

My 2004 does not have this problem as I have had the trans rebuilt.

See you soon.

Dan

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most places I looked at don't carry 1/4" rivets, but Harbor Freight has the tool + it comes with a box of rivets, FYI.

Bryan

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Most places I looked at don't carry 1/4" rivets, but Harbor Freight has the tool + it comes with a box of rivets, FYI.

Bryan

I had to go to a specialty hardware store to get a 14/ rivet tool and rivets.....

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i went to service the shifter in my GTS the inner boot had a crack in it. I replaced with a fresh one from Tators and noticed that the shifter shaft stretched it a bit when pulling forward or backward to select a gear. Was annoyed as it felt like it was slghtly working against me with every shift. Figured that after going through a few heat cycles and stretching back and fourth with normal driving that it would break in after a bit.

a few months later i started to notice the shifter getting hotter than usual and looked from underneath to see the boot cracked again.
Waste of my $$$ :curse:

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the "missing the 2 to 3 shift", it is very common within our group and is mostly (you might not want to hear this) driver error. Before buying another shifter, try this:

Before you attempt the 2 to 3 shift, pull your right elbow close to your side, touching it. Then PUSH, don't grab, the shifter towards 3rd gear. If you do this correctly, the shifter will slip right into 3rd gear every time.

Dan -- this one of the best pieces of advice I've picked up so far about these cars. This works -- amazingly well! -- and I had a blast this weekend sticking 3rd gear every time. Thank you!!!
Bryan

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan -- this one of the best pieces of advice I've picked up so far about these cars. This works -- amazingly well! -- and I had a blast this weekend sticking 3rd gear every time. Thank you!!!
Bryan

Welcome and glad to hear.

I sometimes have to remind myself to do this, espeically if I haven't driven a Viper in a while.

This technique becomes even more important on the track or at the drags.

Dan

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bryan

Yeah!

Thanks Dan for the info!
Ur full of viper knowledge, tips, and tricks!