Lowering Springs vs Coil Overs

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. Everyone just buys them because they like throwing away money. :lmao:

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some are 20x!!!!!! Coilovers are for so much more then lowering your car. All depends on your needs and experience.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all you care about is the look, lowering springs are certainly worth a try. Those that switch over to the more expensive options usually do so because they either couldn't get the look they wanted, didn't like how it rode, or didn't like how it handled.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all you care about is the look, lowering springs are certainly worth a try. Those that switch over to the more expensive options usually do so because they either couldn't get the look they wanted, didn't like how it rode, or didn't like how it handled.

Steve is exactly right Nick. Basically, as with any mod, the less you spend, the more compromising you have to do. IMO, if you are only looking to go lower, just do Eibach and caps.

OP
OP
S

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course I'm looking to lower the car but also looking to improve my ride compared to the Eibach springs in my last Viper.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course I'm looking to lower the car but also looking to improve my ride compared to the Eibach springs in my last Viper.

My gts rode like **** with eibachs. I have eibachs and lowering caps on my 06coupe and the ride is actually not bad at all. I did however just
pick up a set of Penske coilovers so I'm looking torwards the major improvement in ride and handling. :)

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gts rode like **** with eibachs. I have eibachs and lowering caps on my 06coupe and the ride is actually not bad at all. I did however just
pick up a set of Penske coilovers so I'm looking torwards the major improvement in ride and handling. :)

I like the ride with eibachs on my GTS. Handles a lot better but It depends on what you are looking for. I do not think it is justified to spent thousands because you are not entering your car in formula one racing.

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys is the ride really that bad? I have read where some people say there car ride like Hell, and some say they ride better that stock? what gives?

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you still have the old run flats expect the ride to be really bad, with some newer tires like the SS or nittos the ride will be better but still bumpy as hell. I have the Penske 8300 and they are a work of art love them.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy if you are just a poser and looking for a cheap way to lower the car without much concern over ride and compromising factory setup, eibachs and spring caps all the way. All other reasons do it right.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Easy if you are just a poser and looking for a cheap way to lower the car without much concern over ride and compromising factory setup, eibachs and spring caps all the way. All other reasons do it right.

Ditto. The OEM shocks were never intended to run lower. If you have glass roads or don't mind the lack of suspension after the fact, then by all means. Otherwise, do it right.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost every set of coilovers I sell is to someone that literally cannot stand their ride with the Eibach street kit springs and caps

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part of the problem with installing stiffer lower springs in conjunction with OEM shocks(dampers) is that the shocks will not be strong enough to absorb(dampen) the energy of the spring compressing & rebounding resulting in a ride that could be described as jarring, bouncy, or boat-like, due to the fact that the spring is oscillating out of controll.
Like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

In the case of a stiff underdampened spring the fealing would me more jarring to bouncy and the case of a softer spring would be more bouncy to boat-like.

Without shocks controlling your springs you would hit a dip in the road and the car would bounce up & down & up & down & up & down and so on until the energy eventually dissipates. The shock's job is to control the energy of the spring so that it just allows your suspension to go up & down as necessary.

Installing stiffer shorter springs on a used vehicle who's shocks are wore out to some degree (less compressing & rebounding dampening abilities than stock) magnifies the problem.

Luckily in the case of the Gen2 Viper we have stock adjustable shocks, so if you do install stiffer springs then it is wise to increase the rebound dampening to maintain ride quality&performance. I'm pretty sure the Gen3's do not have adjustable shocks, so for a budget lowering solution your better off replacing the caps only and leaving the springs alone.(gen3 guys correct me if i'm wrong)

In summery:
The stiffer the spring, The more energy it has, that needs to be controlled by a stronger damper.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There you have it Nick. To translate either do it right or just don't do it at all.

Part of the problem with installing stiffer lower springs in conjunction with OEM shocks(dampers) is that the shocks will not be strong enough to absorb(dampen) the energy of the spring compressing & rebounding resulting in a ride that could be described as jarring, bouncy, or boat-like, due to the fact that the spring is oscillating out of controll.
Like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

In the case of a stiff underdampened spring the fealing would me more jarring to bouncy and the case of a softer spring would be more bouncy to boat-like.

Without shocks controlling your springs you would hit a dip in the road and the car would bounce up & down & up & down & up & down and so on until the energy eventually dissipates. The shock's job is to control the energy of the spring so that it just allows your suspension to go up & down as necessary.

Installing stiffer shorter springs on a used vehicle who's shocks are wore out to some degree (less compressing & rebounding dampening abilities than stock) magnifies the problem.

Luckily in the case of the Gen2 Viper we have stock adjustable shocks, so if you do install stiffer springs then it is wise to increase the rebound dampening to maintain ride quality&performance. I'm pretty sure the Gen3's do not have adjustable shocks, so for a budget lowering solution your better off replacing the caps only and leaving the springs alone.(gen3 guys correct me if i'm wrong)

In summery:
The stiffer the spring, The more energy it has, that needs to be controlled by a stronger damper.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So with all that considered, what is the best option price wise for someone who wants coilovers on a recreational summer cruising car? It just doesn't make sense to spend 5k on coil overs for me just to lower my car a little. But I don't want to deal with the poor ride quality of lowering springs. And isn't there a heavy duty shock out there for the Viper to accomodate lowering springs properly??

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic, the moton & penski setups are likely what you are looking at for 5K. These are great options for a performance oriented track setup.

In the midrange you have a couple options as well:
About 3300 for a set of KW Variant 2's
And about 1500 for a set of vipairs latest setup which you can get info on from the thread titled "New Coilovers Hitting the Streets" in the Gen1/2 section.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So with all that considered, what is the best option price wise for someone who wants coilovers on a recreational summer cruising car? It just doesn't make sense to spend 5k on coil overs for me just to lower my car a little. But I don't want to deal with the poor ride quality of lowering springs. And isn't there a heavy duty shock out there for the Viper to accomodate lowering springs properly??

I just ordered the Vipair shocks a week ago. They are around 1500 shipped and the shock is made for a lowered ride height.

See thread here ---> http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/656510-New-coilovers-hitting-the-streets

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic, the moton & penski setups are likely what you are looking at for 5K. These are great options for a performance oriented track setup.

In the midrange you have a couple options as well:
About 3300 for a set of KW Variant 2's
And about 1500 for a set of vipairs latest setup which you can get info on from the thread titled "New Coilovers Hitting the Streets" in the Gen1/2 section.

The vipairs would probably be your best bang for the buck. There's a thread from not to long ago where a guy on here purchased and installed a set. Seemed very happy with it.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gen4 and will be done installing the rear Vipair coilovers this weekend. I'll report back soon.

Murray

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine are due in a week so I'll install them and post some pics as well.

I'm in Illinois so it may be awhile before a driving review! Gonna get down to -2 tonight!