Lowest Mileage GTS's??

1996VIPERGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lowest Mileage GTS\'s??

I purchased a 96 GTS about 9 months ago, and spent a few months looking for a super low mileage Blue/White GTS. I couldn't afford the car back in 96 and wanted to get one as close to "new" condition as possible. The car had 748 miles when I picked it up and currently has 860 miles.

I'm sure this has been asked on here in the past, but just curious about some of the other low mileage GTS's that are out there?

I'm sure someone will rip me a new one for not driving it, etc... and "these cars should be driven",etc, etc but all you low mileage GTS owners post your mileage.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Lowest Mileage GTS\'s??

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you what you should be doing with your car that you worked hard to pay for.

I'm sure there are MANY 96 GTS's up on blocks in heated storage somewhere, but if that makes their owners happy then go them same goes for owners with 100,000 miles.

What car # is yours?(last 3 digits of the VIN) I'm looking for either 369 or 371. My dad has #370 and has about 8,000 miles on it as it sits now tucked away for the winter.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just curious why someone would keep one with low milage? As an investment? Bragging rights? Is that fun? I don't mean to sound offensive, just wondering why or what reason someone would do this? Just no time to drive the thing?

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My ACR has 252 miles on it (it's an 01') I sold my 00 GTS with
130 miles on it after having it for a year.

I have seen several 96's and 97's with very low mileage for sale
some with less than 300 miles on them. They are getting harder to find and the price has firmed up on the Blue/White cars with low mileage.

I enjoy just tinkering around with my ACR, taking it out only now and then.

I do drive my Z06 much more, I don't mind putting the miles on it. (an 01 with 3,500 miles on it)

Don't let anyone "rag on you" too much for having a low mileage car. It may someday be worth something? Who knows.

Good luck,

2Charmed

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Several months ago (late summer '02), I think someone from Greddy Performance posted an ad for a '97 GTS Blue/white with only 189 miles. Car was sold quick for I believe $60K.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got nothing against guys who buy and store these cars. We all appreciate our cars in different ways. For some, that means tracking the car. For others, ghetto-fying the car. And for these guys, they derive their enjoyment out of owning a pristine and perfect tool.

For me, I enjoy driving my cars. I don't street race, at least not in an organized fashion. I might hit a drag strip to quantify the car's performance and my ability or lack thereof to drive the car. The rest of the time, I enjoy spirited country drives down backroads.

A lot of guys don't understand the point of buying a car like this and not driving it. I, for one, don't fully understand it either. To me, that would be like buying a house and not living in it. Or paying for car insurance when you never have to use it.... oh, wait! LOL

But what I DO understand is that its their car, their money, their hobby, and their business. And when they are done with it, the next guy will own a gem of a car. I want to be that next guy!

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Come on guys my 97 Blue/white has 48,000 on it but it still looks like it has 5000 miles on it so drive that thing like it was meant so maybe we will have more people to get together with and also more show at the VCA events.......

No flame but that is 1 thing about these cars that it seems like nobody ever wants to drive them. Over the summer several of us posted that we wanted to get a cruise together and nobody responded. The Vette guys get together almost on a monthly basis so this year lets all try to work this out.....

OP
OP

1996VIPERGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Somebody with a 96-97 GTS must have less mileage out there than me?

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There was just one on ebay with 300 miles. It was in a dealer's showroom and has never been sold. They wanted $60,000 + for the car if I remember correctly.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There are a few blue/white garage queens in my area that I keep hearing about but have yet to see personally, so therefore doubt there existence!

I am sure there are hundreds of mothballed cars all over North America and beyond but for the most part would not frequent this site as they have little interest in the car in my opinion.

When I bought mine used the original owner bought my car at the same time as one other identical car, and that owner put the car in a heated garage, pulled the rims, and mothballed it.
As of this spring I think the car had single digit miles if I recall correctly, delivery miles only.

True Viper enthusiast? not sure about that......
To each his own I guess, the grin factor banging gears with other Vipers on a full day road trip exceeds any satisfaction derived from waxing the curves in the garage. God knows I spend too much time doing that already, yet managed to put on 6000 miles this year. Less than hoping for, next year will improve!

take care, enjoy your ride, in whatever form you enjoy it!

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have a club member in Illinois who is an avid Pontiac Firebird collector and he has a 93 RT and 96 GTS which have been mothballed since day one.

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There will always be a Viper with less miles than yours...
The problem comes on those picture perfect days when your snake is just sitting there...begging you to take it out for a spin.
Besides, I'd rather buy a Viper with some miles on it over a garage queen that has been sitting still for umpteen years...a lot can rot in that time. And who's to say 10 or 20 years from now a Viper with a thousand miles will be worth just that much more than a snake with say only 5 or 10 thousand miles? I bought my Viper to drive, enjoy and HOPE that one day it might be worth something to somebody. Just my .02...

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

There are much better investments to make money on versus collector car speculation. DRIVE 'EM!

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is a guy in our club the NEW Mexico area that has a '96 GTS that I think only has 8 or ten miles it is in a bubble. He also has an F40 and several other cars. My '96 GTS has 7000 miles. Kenric

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PAUL HAYES...I know you lurk on this forum all the time! How many miles are on that awesome '96 Blue/White of yours??? Speak up!

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got the 96 GTS car with the lowest miles. I've got someone storing it for me. I don't remember their name, but all I have to do is post here that I have their $100K check for storing it for me, and it just shows up at my door delivered in a covered trailer in less than a week.

Meanwhile I am enjoying driving my other 97 GTS that has over 70K miles on it. The best part about this deal is that I'm also getting interest on my $100K while that guy stores my other 0 miles GTS for me. It's an awesome deal for me. It must **** having to store your own car and not get interest on the money while you have to store it. Bummer dude... I'd write more, but I have to go drive my GTS now.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dang man - 100 miles in 9 months? DRIVE YOUR CAR AND ENJOY THE WAY IT DRIVES!!!!!!!

My '96 has just under 22k on it, but with a very healthy percentage of those on track. I've come home from great track weekends and haven't felt the urge to ruin the "high" for over a month.
supergrin.gif

A Viper stuck in slow traffic is a terrible thing.
shake.gif
A Viper stuck in the garage is worse. I don't care how nice your garage cathedral is or how much Zaino you rub on it.
nono.gif

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have to be careful with extremely low mileage. There were some posts a while back with 94's with less than 1k miles being stored, then driven many years later....MOTOR FAILURE.

Seals can dry out and no longer hold oil. Metal parts will rust. Oil will hold moisture.

If your Viper sets for more than a month, you need to roll it or the rear differential gears will go dry.

If the car is started and brought up to operating temperature, then driven down the street and back....no problem. But how do you know this is being done when buying a low mileage car? I would rather spend the money on a car with a few miles on it and be assured that I can take it to redline without blowing up.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mopar4ever:
To each his own.
As for the "moth-balled" Vipers, what would be the value of a hemi-cuda someone chose to do the same with in 1970?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's put things into perspective...Dodge made 1166 1996 GTS Coupes, all Blue/White...how many Hemi-Cuda's were made in 1970...or better yet...1971??? The 96 Blue/White will be collectable, but a Hemi-Cuda it is not...

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Snake,
In 1970 they produced 652 Hemi Cuda Hardtops / 14 convertibles. Our Vipers would have to be selling for about 3 Mil per car in 30years to equal the current Hemi appreciation. It is not likely any of us will see that kind of appreciation largely due to the high number of garage queens that will still be around. Also the cars back then were raced. Very few were put up on blocks never to see the road. That is what is making the old Mopars so valuable you just cant find them all original.

EDIT:
115 in 71 including 7 convertibles

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

426Hemi...How many 1971 Cuda Convertibles??? Here's two local '71 440/6 Convertibles...the purple with white interior may be up for sale soon...maybe...

And just for grins...here's a Lemon Twist Superbird with just under 6000 orginal, unmolested miles that IS for sale locally...$99K...

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Snake,
They just dont make them like that one anymore. Have a look at this months cover of MoparAction magazine. The feature car is a 2800 original mile 71' Hemi Challenger. Its my brothers car. The thing is unreal, it is like stepping back in time! They gave him a pretty good write up as well. If anyone needs a great mechanic/restorer in New Jersey for their muscle car he is the man. The Challenger though, is definitely not for sale.

7 HEMI Cuda Convertibles in 71. 5=Auto's and 2=4 Speeds.
17 440-6 Cuda Convertibles in 71. 12=Auto's and 5=4 Speeds.