Lug nut size???

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone know what size lug wrench I need to use on my rims? I've got a set of HRE 546s from Jon B. with the chrome lug nuts he supplies. I called him to inquire, but he indicated that he gets them from HRE and they would know. I called HRE, but they're busy with SEMA this weekend. I'd really like to get the info prior to next week, so I thought someone else here with a set could pipe up. Thanks in advance. :2tu:

OP
OP
C

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, I tried a 3/4" socket and it felt a little off, but close. It's tough to get the socket in there, though, because of the small diameter of the openings on the rim. I need to buy a thin-wall socket to get in there, but need to know the size first to buy the right one!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to use a thin wall socket to overcome the lack of clearance.

OP
OP
C

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is that they are already mounted. That's why it's tough. I don't want to buy several different thin-wall sockets and then have to return all but one. I'm just thinking someone has to have come across this issue already and knows the size...Thanks again for any input guys.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As JimT noted, "They should be 13/16"

I have a set of HRE lugnuts that JonB supplied to me that require a 13/16" socket...and, the same is true with the HRE lugnuts taht JonB supplied to a friend who occasionally brings his Viper to my house. I generally use a Griot's Garage coated socket set for our Vipers that have the exposed lugnuts...19mm or 3/4" for stock lugnuts, and the 13/16" for the HRE acron style.

Hope this helps you, CSTER

OP
OP
C

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I even sat on hold with HRE today for about 15 minutes only to hear them tell me they ONLY stock/sell 19mm lugnuts! I'll get a 13/16" socket then. Thanks again guys!

Christian

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Funny ??? The only thing that I can tell you relates to the "HRE" lugnuts supplied to a friend and to me...we COULD NOT get the 19mm or 3/4" socket to fit...21mm was loose, and 13/16" worked ! I suppose that raises the questions : were they HRE??? and were they "one-off's "??We have seen MANY of the OEM acorn style lugnuts "fatten up" as they get used...ESPECIALLY if an impact wrench is used as the thin foil starts to come off. The HRE's described had gone on by hand only.

BEFORE you buy the socket, would borrow a one as a test to avoid getting wrong one (or more)...and, please let know so we can all get the record straight.

OP
OP
C

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is kind of weird Steve. I think you and Jim are correct, but just so I don't order another incorrect socket, I'll try to see if I can borrow one from a buddy to make sure. I'll report back. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4