manifold and valve cover paint

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I want to paint my intake manifold and valve covers. I know a bunch of people have done this. My question is will everyday automotive paint hold up to the heat or is something special required?

thanks,
Dave.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, they have to be stripped and powder coated. If you blast them make sure the media is not stuck in any crannys or it will come out later in your motor! Do some searchs, lots on info on this as well as a motor that was ruined becasue of sand let in the intake manifold.

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people have used automotive paint (with varied results). Strip and powdercoat is probably (IMO)the best method.
There are a number of people that post on this site that offer powdercoat. Search will be your friend!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
POWDERCOAT them....DONT paint them it looks like a kid did them.

if ya wanna do it....do it right.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is to hot for std. automotive paint, to get the paint to stick to the magnesium valve covers, a special primer is needed as well.

I just had my intake and valve covers powder coated by Aesthetic Finishers (www.afipowder.com) and was very happy with their service. They plastic media blasted and then media blasted the parts proir to coating, and to ensure no media got in the intake, all openings were masked. I'd recommend taking the oil baffles ou of the valve covers to allow for complete cleaning after blasting..... as there is no good way to mask the open side of the vavle cover. VenomBlue is also doing powder coating as well.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to go against the grain, but, the the high temp engine/header paint can be put on over the the factory power-coat and you cannot tell the difference. It is not off a shade. If you have a nick or scratch merely feather sand it and apply the aersol paint.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the high temp engine/header paint can be put on over the the factory power-coat and you cannot tell the difference.

Yup, I can confirm that the stuff works. Of course, I have only used it to cover up nicks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas