Maro's,Stangs and Birds...

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maro\'s,Stangs and Birds...

Attention all you Camaro,Mustang and Firebird owners,

Here's the deal:
I finally made it to 50 and decided that just in case I entered a mid-life crisis I would go ahead and put something in the garage that would help me in dealing with same. So I bought a yellow/black stripe 2001 GTS. Yes, I know, not a typical Viper color but my neighbors love the bumblebee effect...
Anyway, it seems that no matter where and how I drive every Camaro,Mustang and Firebird owner does all he/she can do to pull up beside me and then "race" their engine while coming off the clutch so that their tires spin and their engine revs with as much sound as their money can buy.
Question is "what are they trying to say to me?". Are they challenging me to race? Just showing off their car? Hoping I will do the same?
What's the solution? Here in Dallas street racing is getting a lot of publicity both locally and nationally and law enforcement is constantly on the lookout (you can imaging how far away they can see a yellow viper w/black stripes while not even noticing a silver,white or black version of the aforementioned cars). All I need to know from you Viper/Mustang/Camaro/Firebird owners is how I can react that will let them know I appreciate their cars but do not want to attempt to do 130 in a 35 mile-per-hour zone. I realize that just continuing to drive is always a solution,however,it seems that some of these drivers are really "committed" to making me race. Help me guys...no,help all us 50+ guys that enjoy the Viper for more than just 0-60 times.

Thanks,
Clark Stegall

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Maro\'s,Stangs and Birds...

Comes with the territory Clark. Don't ignore them, just smile and wave them off (use all five fingers).

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:

Not in a 35MPH zone, and it won't win me big popularity here, but I say race 'em, even if it's no contest. ... You only live once, and you can't take it with you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Street racing is just plain stupid. Your driving skills and experience may allow you to survive, but your adversary may not. He was only a kid .

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I usually just give them a little tire spin or something but don't all out race them. They know they won't win but like ViperHopeful said, they are satisfied that you acknowledged them and gave them a little show. That avoids the race but makes everyone happy.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RACE 'EM!

Bury them in a spirited 0-70 run or so and shut 'er down.

Be sure to be safe though..

Gerald

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Question is "what are they trying to say to me?". Are they challenging me to race? Just showing off their car? Hoping I will do the same?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the answer to your question is all of the above. If you get revved on and don't want to race just give a nod and a thumbs up. Most other divers would just like to have you acknowledge there ride, and are giving you the "I like your Viper" rev. If you rev back or start punching the gas you will most likely be seen as accepting a challenge to a race. The only ones I ignore are the ricemobiles which are all over the place down here.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mustang owners are genraly just jerks anyway, so don't even look at then
smile.gif

Most F-bodies are just saying hello... just be careful if you decide to take all of them on. Streatracing kills.
Of course... you always run the risk of picking a fight with your not-so-ordinary F-body ;) There are a lot of sub-10 second street driven F-bodies out there, so be careful (I know, I used to own one)

Have fun, be safe... humor the lay-people every once in a while
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte