MattDillon (Gerry) and Shane's recovery

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, You may or may not have been following our fairly local Viper owner that is dealing with his son, Shane, going through DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation) here at Cook Children's in Ft Worth. The thread is a little long, but it shows the compassion that our other VCA members have shown towards Shane's situation.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/649424-My-Son-Shane-to-have-DBS-(Deep-Brain-Stimulation)-Surgery

My wife and I went to see Shane in December when he was released from the hospital after having the electronics embedded in his brain. Sounds like fun, huh? They saw some minor immediate reactions from it, but that was just the beginning. In the last couple of days, the doctors 'powered up' his super charging and the results were very promising. Shane still has a LONG way to go, but he's upbeat and a great kid that tries to see the 'silver lining'. Now, why the post?

I gave Shane the NTxVCA cooler that I snagged at the Christmas party as a little something to make him smile. You WOULD NOT BELIEVE the smile that was returned! There have been some VCA members that have sent things to him and based on what I've heard from his Dad, he just lights up every time something shows up. Shane LOVES Vipers and everything about them, even knowing that he will never be able to drive one. The family will be back in about 3 months for a tweak on the electronics and I'd like to take them a gift bag from NTxVCA just to show Shane and his family that Viper owners really do care about their extended families. We have the Planning meeting coming up in a few weeks and I'm sure that I'll be at a few gatherings between now and March. If you have any Viper paraphenalia laying around that you would like to donate towards making Shane smile so much that his jaws hurt, pitch in and I'll volunteer to come gather things up. If the weather is nice, maybe we can make a showing when he comes to visit in March and make a young man's day.

If nothing else, please include Shane and his family in your prayers and thoughts. What they are dealing with is really tough on the whole family, but Shane's attitude pays them back. He really IS one special kid and I know I'll be there when he returns.

Mike

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike-

Thanks so much for doing that in December. That sounds like a great idea for March, and I have a few giveaways we can bring along as well, so it doesn't need to come from your personal "stash".

Greg

flatblack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, if I'm not at work in March when Shane returns then I'll be happy to drive over and spend some time with them. I'll keep watching these posts and I'd be happy to join in. I'm in Alaska for 3 weeks right now, but when I get home, I have a 1:18 GTS-R I can send your way for him too. :headbang:

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in it for Shane and his family, so anybody that can come greet them and brighten the day is welcome. I've already warned my wife that there will be 'a few' packages showing up so she doesn't think it's just MORE VIPER STUFF as she has become accustomed to.:D

This is going to take a little planning and scrambling at the last minute, but I'm in it for the long haul! Thanks to everyone that has offered up things for Shane!

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live only about 30 minutes from Cook Children's and would love to meet Shane and his family.

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been in touch with Gerry and as of a couple of weeks ago, they didn't know when they were coming over yet. He promised to let me know as soon as they had a date. February kind of flew by and I still need to gather up the 'stuff' from the others in the region. For SURE, if not before, bring your stuff to the March meeting and I'll get it for Shane's visit.

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current timing is looking like the end of this month (April). I have the stuff from the last gathering and will make sure that Share gets it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth