May be leaving the Viper Family, for a while...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO, how much should a NSX go for with 60K miles? Looking on autotrader, high seems to be around $60K for a 2002 and low is a 2002 for $42K.

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ask yourself this...Why does the guy with the NSX "for sale" desire to trade for a Viper??? People sell stuff for reasons (good and bad). IMO, he must feel there is something indelible about a Viper that his NSX cannot achieve. Also, is he the original owner for all 60K miles?? If so, probably ready for a change...If not, that may be an indication of less than satisfactory ownership experience. Great to have choices though..so go for it!!

The guy owns 6 other exotics. He's never had a Viper so he thought the situation might be right for both of us :) .

Bat™

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask yourself this...Why does the guy with the NSX "for sale" desire to trade for a Viper??? People sell stuff for reasons (good and bad). IMO, he must feel there is something indelible about a Viper that his NSX cannot achieve. Also, is he the original owner for all 60K miles?? If so, probably ready for a change...If not, that may be an indication of less than satisfactory ownership experience. Great to have choices though..so go for it!!

The guy owns 6 other exotics. He's never had a Viper so he thought the situation might be right for both of us :) .

Bat™
Sounds like your mind is made up. Go enjoy it. We'll expect you back soon. :D

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
He's never had a Viper so he thought the situation might be right for both of us :) .

Obviously. That man is no fool. If you want to trade up the NSX for a 540 let me know. I've never had an NSX but the situation might be right for us as well.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

The only car(s) I would buy now if I had Lance's kind of money would be a Ford GT or a 360 Modena, other then that I am happy with my b/w.

[/QUOTE]

:crazy: My kind of money??? You are too funny! Mr. Time For An Oil Change, Guess I'll Get ANOTHER Viper :D

Ag's'95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Sounds like your mind is made up. Go enjoy it. We'll expect you back soon. :D

[/QUOTE]

Bat it really sounds like you want to do the deal despite not much support from this group. Financially I think it is a marginal deal for you at best. Emotionally you sound excited to make the change.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taking his asking price of $48,900 and adding $2000 makes out to be about $51,000 for my car. I'll thinking seriously about doing this. Your thoughts?

Bat™

My first thought was, its your money, do what makes you happy. But since you asked for our opinion ..... Are you nuts? Dude, put the crack pipe down. That's got to be the craziest deal I've ever heard of. If that transaction goes through, congratulations to the former Acura / new Viper owner! He got a great deal!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NSX is a great car, but like others have said it seems you are getting the low end of the totem pole (financially speaking). It appears to me he is getting top dollar for his NSX, and you are getting average to low for you Viper. I would think there would be a lot more than $2,000 difference in these cars. Especially when you consider future value. Consider this: You drive the NSX for 2-3 years, and go to sell. At this point, the car has 80,000 miles on the clock. The new model is out, 450-500 HP high-tech V10. Other Japanese cars have continued to increase in power, making your +/- 275 seem really weak. The styling is already at the end of its life-cycle, and really is not timeless like the Viper. So styling is really not a selling point. Also, consider in 2008/09 a used 1994-96 NSX will be had really cheap (under $20,000 same miles as yours). So where does this leave you if you want to sell? Up sh**ts creek IMO. I'm guessing 25K. Now if you kept the Viper, you will get double that. Of course I am speculating, but this seems like a no brainer financially speaking. If you REALLY want an NSX, I would sell the Viper and pick up a moderate mileage '94. Basically the same car as the '00, and you could get if for half (low-mid twenties). And come 2-3 years when you decide to sell, you will only take a small hit. And like the Viper, you will not have a hard time finding a '94 in excellent condition with low-moderate miles.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do what makes you happy, I would test drive 1 first, for the weekend, to make sure thats what you want. What exactly are you expecting out of the NSX. More HP NO, better handling,Maybe. More gagets and creature comfort yes. Styling NO. If anything wait intil the 08 NSX comes out, then that give you time to sell your viper and get top dollar for it.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have an itch for a new car go for it. The itch will not go away. I have driven a NSX and they are great cars. The only problem with them is they are so unbelivably slow. After owning the Viper it will make driving the NSX very hard.

Where I think most of the posts on this thread are off is on the pricing of NSX's. I don't think many people here realize how rare the cars are and how the price does hold up well. There is no way mid-90's NSX's will ever fall bellow 20k. It still costs 35k+ to get a nice targa car (95-96) and almost 45k to get a targa 6-speed car (97+). On the flip side the value of a 2000 GTS with stock wheels would be hard pressed to hit above 50k.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bat, you never stated your mileage on your GTS. Either way, IMO, having a short attention span for cars gets unnessarily expensive over time. The money you waste on taxes at the DMV buying the NSX could be spent on bolt ons for the Viper.

In the end, the NSX is outdated and will be quickly obsolete by the new model in 2008. Are you sure you want an exotic with 60k miles for $48,900 without a warranty?

Best of luck Bat. :2tu:

kpham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The NSX is a great car, but like others have said it seems you are getting the low end of the totem pole (financially speaking). It appears to me he is getting top dollar for his NSX, and you are getting average to low for you Viper. I would think there would be a lot more than $2,000 difference in these cars. Especially when you consider future value. Consider this: You drive the NSX for 2-3 years, and go to sell. At this point, the car has 80,000 miles on the clock. The new model is out, 450-500 HP high-tech V10. Other Japanese cars have continued to increase in power, making your +/- 275 seem really weak. The styling is already at the end of its life-cycle, and really is not timeless like the Viper. So styling is really not a selling point. Also, consider in 2008/09 a used 1994-96 NSX will be had really cheap (under $20,000 same miles as yours). So where does this leave you if you want to sell? Up sh**ts creek IMO. I'm guessing 25K. Now if you kept the Viper, you will get double that. Of course I am speculating, but this seems like a no brainer financially speaking. If you REALLY want an NSX, I would sell the Viper and pick up a moderate mileage '94. Basically the same car as the '00, and you could get if for half (low-mid twenties). And come 2-3 years when you decide to sell, you will only take a small hit. And like the Viper, you will not have a hard time finding a '94 in excellent condition with low-moderate miles.

I second this.
Or you could save up a bit and buy and old NSX; then do cosmetic mods -- you're really good at it. Your viper is heck beautiful with all the recent mods.

It seems you've already made up your mind on this, so go for it! It'll never go wrong if you want it enough.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Think you shoulod put down your crack pipe and give your head a serious shake!!!!

NSX= Girlie car

Viper = Man Car

Maybe you should trade.....

LMAO - i totally agree. :bonker: that nsx has about the same amount of torque in its engine that the lug nuts on my viper are torqued too. the nsx is a BIG $$$$$$ definition of a poser car too me. just an overpriced ricer with rear wheel drive. yeah it has the engine in the back like a ford GT but unlike a ford GT it has no balls to back it up. :buttkick:

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all a big adventure isn't it?

If you decide you don't like it and want to buy another Viper, they'll still be here. ;) Worse case you'll have to start with a stock viper and do your mods again. Hard life.

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have an itch for a new car go for it. The itch will not go away. I have driven a NSX and they are great cars. The only problem with them is they are so unbelivably slow. After owning the Viper it will make driving the NSX very hard.

Where I think most of the posts on this thread are off is on the pricing of NSX's. I don't think many people here realize how rare the cars are and how the price does hold up well. There is no way mid-90's NSX's will ever fall bellow 20k. It still costs 35k+ to get a nice targa car (95-96) and almost 45k to get a targa 6-speed car (97+). On the flip side the value of a 2000 GTS with stock wheels would be hard pressed to hit above 50k.

Exactly. You'd be surprised how much some of them are going for, even with $100,000 miles on them, they are going for the mid 20's.

Anyhow, what dop you guys think I can actually get for my Viper if I were to sell it now?

It's got 22,000 miles on it. Eibach Pro Springs, and ofcourse 19/20 iforged Trial wheels on it.

Bat™

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see the want for that NSX...I have always loved that car. The key here is, have you ever driven one? I would suggest going to a dealer that has a used one for sale...and just test drive it....See if it meets your expectations.....If you can truly say to yourself you like it better than your REALLY nice Viper, then by all means do the deal.....Or see if the guy you are looking to do the deal with will let you drive his car...

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bat:

If it is something that you want to do then go for it. I was debating between the Viper and NSX as well and I went with the Viper because I could not see spending $90K for a Honda with 300 HP. Now buying a used on is a different story.

The Viper is raw power but the NSX has power at high RPM's and there are very few cars that handle like it. Great car for the corners and drive feel. In the end, it is all personal choice. Again, if it is something that you want to experience, you might as well. It is a great car and I think you will like it. Just try not not to compare it to the Viper as they are totally different cars. Comparing a Viper to an NSX is like comparing a FERRARI ENZO to a Porsche 911. No where near the same but both are still very fun to drive.

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Andrew,

Bad move on your part to do this particular trade/deal. If you stand back a little and give yourself time to see the forest through the trees, you will see the logic.

Mike

:usa:

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've drieven the NSX on several occassions. I Love the ride, and handling. But I can also say the same for the Viper. Two totally different cars, both on the opposite ends of the spectrum. I just happen to like both.

Bat™

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly. You'd be surprised how much some of them are going for, even with $100,000 miles on them, they are going for the mid 20's.

Anyhow, what dop you guys think I can actually get for my Viper if I were to sell it now?

It's got 22,000 miles on it. Eibach Pro Springs, and ofcourse 19/20 iforged Trial wheels on it.

Bat™

100,000 miles and there asking mid 20's. More than likely there getting low 20's or even high teens. And that's exactly my point. In 2-3 years, your NSX is going to be a high-miles NSX and a few years older. And IMHO it will only be worth mid 20's. That's a big hit to take. Your Viper on the other hand, will have around 40,000 miles and still be worth a nice penny.

I was looking at the NSX's in 2001, and 94's could be had for $35,000. The ones I looked at had about 40K miles at the time. My guess is a moderate miles '94 (60,000 miles) can be had for mid 20's right now from a motivated seller. Why not go that route? The differences between a '94 and '00 are minimal, and you won't loss your **** in 2-3 years when you sell.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Bat™

100,000 miles and there asking mid 20's. More than likely there getting low 20's or even high teens. And that's exactly my point. In 2-3 years, your NSX is going to be a high-miles NSX and a few years older. And IMHO it will only be worth mid 20's. That's a big hit to take. Your Viper on the other hand, will have around 40,000 miles and still be worth a nice penny.

I was looking at the NSX's in 2001, and 94's could be had for $35,000. The ones I looked at had about 40K miles at the time. My guess is a moderate miles '94 (60,000 miles) can be had for mid 20's right now from a motivated seller. Why not go that route? The differences between a '94 and '00 are minimal, and you won't loss your **** in 2-3 years when you sell.

You way off on NSX pricing and the differences between the cars. The difference between the 94 and 00 is pretty substantial. 3.2L engine, bigger brakes, targa top, 6-speed tranny. The 97 and up cars actually trap 6mph more in the quarter than the earlier cars. As for the price, there is no way in 3 years a 00 NSX will be 25k, not a chance in hell. I would say it will be worth 39k and 00 Viper will be maybe 42k in 3 years. You also have to remember that the Monaco Blue is the most sought after NSX color.

Would I personally trade my car for an NSX? No way! But would I like to have an NSX along with the Viper, sure would as they are great cars.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the flip side the value of a 2000 GTS with stock wheels would be hard pressed to hit above 50k.

You haven't shopped the market lately, have you? ;)

I would like to think I keep up with current Viper pricing. What do you think a 00 with 22k miles is worth if he put the stock wheels back on? I think 50k is damn close.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the flip side the value of a 2000 GTS with stock wheels would be hard pressed to hit above 50k.

You haven't shopped the market lately, have you? ;)

I would like to think I keep up with current Viper pricing. What do you think a 00 with 22k miles is worth if he put the stock wheels back on? I think 50k is damn close.

If it's a really clean car, at least 5K more than that wouldn't strike me as odd.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one will miss all the important posts about "What color calipers should I get?" "What color stripes should I get?" "Can't decide on what rims look the best" .......

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've drieven the NSX on several occassions. I Love the ride, and handling. But I can also say the same for the Viper. Two totally different cars, both on the opposite ends of the spectrum. I just happen to like both.

Bat™

Save up some cash and find a used one with 100K on the odo for 20K and you have your 2 favorite cars in your garage :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960