May have found my Diamond in the rough / But is the price to high?

djemcee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K. guys.

You all know I am new to the board and learning the ropes around here. As you can read in my other story. But I need your help, since many have offered it.

I found Eric Lee "Viper Eric"'s #. Gave him a call. He has a 2002 rt/10 w/6900 miles on it. He says it is the diamond I have been looking for. One owner as he says and been verified through carfax. Also has Corsa headers and full Corsa Exhaust. Has smooth tubes and 3.55 gears. 3 tops, and he will throw in a car cover. Now the good part. I live in Souther Cali. He is going to be bringing a car to Vegas Monday, and told me that he would bring the enclosed 2 car trailer and come to my city in Anaheim on Tuesday. He is not charging me a thing. free delivery. And this before I sign anything. He says it is so clean that he will bring it to me at his expence for me to look over and if I don't want it, then he will drive it back to Idaho. Now that seems like a man of his word, and he really belives in the car. I already told him I am a freak at inspecting vehicles and he is very confident that this will pass my test. But he does want 59400.00 for the vehicle. This is about 4480.00 over Private party blue book value. But again on 6900 miles and a few extra goodies. I am not sure what those goodies would add up to if I had to put them on myself. I told him I want to see it. He is bringing it down. It's already loaded and on it's way. I usually never pay over blue book for a car, but what do you guys think? If it is clean as he says, is it worth it. I'm thinking so.

Please give me your opinions.

Chris

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like it has the potential to be a really nice car, I'd say it's worth it if everything checks out.

Bluebook values have very little to do with real market values of exotics.

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris...as I've mentioned in previous posts, I am also looking for a first and special Viper. For me, paying a little more to get something nice and that you really want is no problem at all.

This deal sounds sweet so far. As others have and will say, be careful and continue on with your close inspection and high standards. Seems you are already a stickler for detail, so I doubt much will get by you during the inspection. If it rings your bell, go for it! You will know when it is right and the price is not that bad.

Good luck with it. If it doesn't pan out, don't get discouraged. The right car is out there to be found. :headbang:

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As mentioned in an earlier post, Blue Book does not work for exotics such as the Viper (Accords and Camrys - yes). You'll have to check out the going market value for this car (year, mileage, color combo, accessories, etc.). The classifieds on this site as well as Autotrader.com are good places to start. If I'd paid Blue Book value for my Viper, I would have spent about $8K less.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a great looking sapphire/silver GTS on ebay last week with 5,000 babied miles for $60K. Throw a Corsa on it and there you are... If you are interested I can dig up the contact info, as I called about it.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Frankly, it's just an okay deal. 01's also have ABS.

Agree, maybe even a bit less than an OKAY deal, imo. You could get an 03 SRT-10 with the same mileage for about another 5-7K. If I was getting another Gen II, I'd look for a blue/white 96/97 or an 01 creampuff with ABS in a nice color, either of which would be far, far less investment.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whata ya mean by "3" tops? When you take possession here in Cali you will need to smog a used car, headers = potential problem, both visual and sniff, where in Cali are you, I may be able to help with smog!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing against Eric, but there are 4 dealers who are VERY well known here and who have NEVER had anything posted but positive information.
Bill Pemberton, Woodhouse Dodge Blair Nebraska
Chuck Tator, Tator Dodge, New Salem New York
Mike Ringold, Ringold Dodge, Atanta GA
Roanoke Dodge in Chicago
Do a search for all these names as well as Eric, look under vendors here, there are links to all their contact information, some advertise here, there is a link to Woodhouse at the top of the page. I've bought 3 cars from Bill at Woodhouse sight unseen. I'm sure others will chime in as to the reputation of these guys. You owe it to yourself to talk to these guys before you buy. They will ALL ship it to your front door.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, If the car checks out completely I don't think that price is out of line given the mods (if they are done correctly). A lot of these too good to be true low price deals are just that. As you know. I bought my car less than two months ago and was more than willing to pay a little more for the "right" car. Bought mine bone stock and am now about ready to do exhaust and the 3:55 rear end. All said and done with professional installation I'll have probably another $3k in those two mods (and that's without headers BTW, just cats and catback).

Personally, I'd rather pay a few grand more for a car I'm totally confident in than save a few on a car that I'm constantly questioning its past. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

djemcee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whata ya mean by "3" tops? When you take possession here in Cali you will need to smog a used car, headers = potential problem, both visual and sniff, where in Cali are you, I may be able to help with smog!

Corona, Ca

OP
OP
D

djemcee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whata ya mean by "3" tops?

Its an RT, with three tops....

Eric says it comes with a hard, soft, and some kinda tonoue (spelled wrong) cover for when you dont want to put the top on, but just want to park and keep dust out.

OP
OP
D

djemcee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a great looking sapphire/silver GTS on ebay last week with 5,000 babied miles for $60K. Throw a Corsa on it and there you are... If you are interested I can dig up the contact info, as I called about it.

Thanks for the offer, I want a rt/10 though.

Chris

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
If you like it , and it checks out solid and is easy to get it is worth more than just the extra bucks, you can always make money, you cannot make time, also make an offer, everything is negotiable to some extent. Thats just MHO, I will pay more for time savings and convience (right product) where as I have friends that will drive to the ends of the earth for a good deal. IN the meantime Im having fun.

Good Luck !

fisko40

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

If it makes you feel any better I just paid 62k for an 01 rt10 with under 3k miles on her. It is bone stock except for some mgw goodies and a 3k stereo upgrade. It has never seen rain and it looks showroom quality throughout. Did I pay too much? Of course, but I have peace of mind knowing that there are no nasty hidden suprises waiting to be discovered. Finding a deal is a good feeling but driving a viper blows that feeling out of the water. If that car is what you want then write the check and start having fun with your new toy. Life is far too short my friend.

Mark J.

dies

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me ask you something. If you looked at a house that was average for 500k and then saw a house that was just outstanding for 550k which would you buy?

You keep saying you want a perfect car, yet you aren't willing to pay for a perfect car. Chances are you will not find a perfect car for a "deal", because being perfect... it's worth top dollar. If this car is perfect then be prepared (and willing) to pay top dollar. A few extra thousand (and lets be honest, we are talking about a few extra thousand 50-55k vs. 57-59k) in the long run is very little to get something you are happy with.

Perfect cars and deals do not go hand in hand.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me ask you something. If you looked at a house that was average for 500k and then saw a house that was just outstanding for 550k which would you buy?

You keep saying you want a perfect car, yet you aren't willing to pay for a perfect car. Chances are you will not find a perfect car for a "deal", because being perfect... it's worth top dollar. If this car is perfect then be prepared (and willing) to pay top dollar. A few extra thousand (and lets be honest, we are talking about a few extra thousand 50-55k vs. 57-59k) in the long run is very little to get something you are happy with.

Perfect cars and deals do not go hand in hand.

I agree.

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got a 2002rt/10 last june. had 5000mi. i paid 56000.00 bone stock . i think i got a good buy. car was very clean

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whata ya mean by "3" tops?

Its an RT, with three tops....

Eric says it comes with a hard, soft, and some kinda tonoue (spelled wrong) cover for when you dont want to put the top on, but just want to park and keep dust out.

That third "top" is not a top, but rather a cockpit cover. Good to have, I use mine as much as any other "top".

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is worth it if you like it. Pay the amount that you are comfortable with. It doesn't matter what we think it's your car and you've worked hard to get it. Go with your heart and enjoy your new car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang