Meguiar's Scratch-X

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked about this in a thread a few weeks ago and no one had tried it. SO, I did. It came highly recommended by my Venture Shield installer and another detailer. It's for use on clear coat to remove swirl marks and small scratches. Supposedly, it will work on more significant scratches that reach into the paint. Luckily, I haven't managed any deep scratches, but I do have several areas where I have already accidentally scratched my clear coat (mostly by leaning against the car working with the convert top and a few from harsh finger and hand prints around the door tops).

Anyway, I have been able to virtually remove all of the swirl marks and slight (but noticeable) scratches with any where from 1-3 applications of this product with a small terry cloth hand pad. I then wax over the area and it looks perfect. I have a new black car and I was petrified that it would look like crap in no time. With Scratch-X at the ready, I am far less anxious. It's cheap at $11 a tube (although I found it at a car show for $8) and does not require an orbital for small areas. Hopes this helps some of you.

Meguiar's Direct ScratchX®

Oh yea.....I have no ownership interest in Meguiar's ;).

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I will go out and get some, was waiting for some one to test drive the product before I purchased. Beautiful car in the avatar by the way.

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I will go out and get some, was waiting for some one to test drive the product before I purchased. Beautiful car in the avatar by the way.

Thanks!

Trust me, I'm far more into driving than cleaning and polishing. This was EASY.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Mike at Meguiars Scratch X has a special compound that breaks down as you rub it in. It starts with a harder polishing compound that breaks down to a finer grit as you use it. This allows one product to both be effective enough to reduce the scratch, and yet fine enough to finish with a high polish.

Bit of wax after using it should do the trick.

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have experienced nothing but excellent results. Very light scratches will literally disappear and deeper scratches can be filled with touch-up paint (using a dab of paint and a toothpick) and then cut down using it. I've used the edge of a buffer and Scratch-X to remove several scratches out of my black Jeep without the need of using rubbing/polishing compound. It may take a little longer doing it this way, but you don't have to worry about burning the paint or swirls.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if it's good enough for City then it's good enough for me. I'm heading down to my local PepBoy's and buying a case! :2tu:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must've missed your original thread, sorry:omg:. I get significant results removing exhaust "stain" from rear bumper with Scratch-X.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're only posting that because you know what a LAZY owner I am! :rolaugh:

Lazy loves company! :D Actually, I need to perform the wash, claybar, polish, wax ritual on my Viper. I haven't waxed it in over two years. When I first got my Viper, I followed someone's polish ritual here and while it produced wonders I am not looking forward to doing it again. I actually put down 20 coats of wax last time. Yes, its true. Looking back I don't know what I was thinking but I can say that the final coat of wax has worn off after 2 years. This time around, I'm looking for a simple swirl remover instead of performing a 3 step process. So whatever makes the job easier and produces good resilts will work. Fortunately, I don't have many swirls except for the ones my daughters created last week when they washed the car for me. :)

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whatever makes the job easier :)

OK Tony....I'm going to let you in one the Lazy Man's Car Detailing Club's, get back on the sofa and the ball game, Sunday 45 minute program......

1. Wash car.

2. Use: Spray-On Wax - Waxes & Sealants - Waxing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

3. Then: Speed Shine® - Griot's Garage

4. If you've got time, hit any scratches with Scratch-X

5. Reward yourself: V-10 Business Card/Pen Holder - Garage Sale - Griot's Garage

6. Then pay a local detailer $200 to fix all your mistakes in the Spring :rolaugh:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Tony....I'm going to let you in one the Lazy Man's Car Detailing Club's, get back on the sofa and the ball game, Sunday 45 minute program......

1. Wash car.

2. Use: Spray-On Wax - Waxes & Sealants - Waxing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

3. Then: Speed Shine® - Griot's Garage

4. If you've got time, hit any scratches with Scratch-X

5. Reward yourself: V-10 Business Card/Pen Holder - Garage Sale - Griot's Garage

6. Then pay a local detailer $200 to fix all your mistakes in the Spring :rolaugh:

Better yet...pay a mobile detailer to come over and fix it for you...no need to drive to the dealer. ultimate laziness!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you do an 50/50 Alcohol and water wipe down after you used the Scratch X to verify it actually removed the scratch? I would bet my last dollar it is still there. Scratch X is a super mild swirl remover with hardly any abrasives at all in it but it is LOADED with oils which will temporarily hide scratches and swirls.

They will be back after a few washes.

Pick up some Menzerna (they are all good), Zaino Fusion or some Poorboys 2.5 and 1 and give any one of them a try. I think you will find that they work a little better and will actually remove your scratch instead of just hiding it.

I did find that Scratch X is good for removing water spots (deposits) as I think the oils loosen the deposits and make it easy for them to be removed. Note, if they are etched you will need something with a little more bit like the products mentioned above.

Scratch X really is designed for the novist and is made to be safe and hide things vs products that are designed for professional detailers that actualy work. JMHO

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I have a black DD and have been using 3M scratch remover and it was THE WORST it made the scratch more obvious. I cant wait to try this, Thanks again.

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you do an 50/50 Alcohol and water wipe down after you used the Scratch X to verify it actually removed the scratch? I would bet my last dollar it is still there. Scratch X is a super mild swirl remover with hardly any abrasives at all in it but it is LOADED with oils which will temporarily hide scratches and swirls.

They will be back after a few washes.

Pick up some Menzerna (they are all good), Zaino Fusion or some Poorboys 2.5 and 1 and give any one of them a try. I think you will find that they work a little better and will actually remove your scratch instead of just hiding it.

I did find that Scratch X is good for removing water spots (deposits) as I think the oils loosen the deposits and make it easy for them to be removed. Note, if they are etched you will need something with a little more bit like the products mentioned above.

Scratch X really is designed for the novist and is made to be safe and hide things vs products that are designed for professional detailers that actualy work. JMHO

SCROOGE!!! :mad: :D

You could be completely correct. I certainly have not done a 50/50 Alcohol and water (unless you mean beer :D) wipe down. If it "really is designed for the novice", then I am the PERFECT user! :D But based on your comments, I'll keep checking and see if the swirls re-appear.

I just KNEW it was too good to be true. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCROOGE!!! :mad: :D

You could be completely correct. I certainly have not done a 50/50 Alcohol and water (unless you mean beer :D) wipe down. If it "really is designed for the novice", then I am the PERFECT user! :D But based on your comments, I'll keep checking and see if the swirls re-appear.

I just KNEW it was too good to be true. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I am sorry, I hate being the bearer of bad news.:( Pick up one of those foam german applicators (if doing by hand) and one of the more aggressive polishes mentioned above when they reappear and try to remove them again. I have a Brinkman Dual Xenon light I usually use to check my work, my garage is also full of flourescent and halogen lights so I see every scratch when I pull my car in the garage. I do some detailing on the side so I do not want peole coming back after a few washes complaining. I have also tried just about every compound, polish and LSP out there. :2tu:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But for the average car person, isn't using a mild product, that makes the scratches disapear without injuring the paint a good thing.

Even if it is just covering them up without taking off a lot of paint, it only takes a minute, and requires no electric buffer.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But for the average car person, isn't using a mild product, that makes the scratches disapear without injuring the paint a good thing.

Even if it is just covering them up without taking off a lot of paint, it only takes a minute, and requires no electric buffer.

Yes and no, if you are totally clueless as to what you are doing and would do more damage than good with a product that is designed to do what it is made for (repair paint), then yes, you are better off just hiding the scratches and swirls the best you can and repeatedly having them reappear.

If you are a car guy and know a little about detailing you are better off removing them and being done with it.

My wife would always laugh at her attorney boss when it came to his car he knew NOTHING. He couldn't even add a qt of oil if needed. He had his MB repaired by a terrible body shop and it was basically 2 different colors when he got it back, worst job I ever seen in my life. When he questioned it they told him it would change color over the course of time and would eventually match. He believed it. :lmao: These are the types of people that Scratch X is made for. :dunno:

No offense intended to those like my wife's boss, they are smart at some things, just not automotive related things. Me, I have had oil flowing through my veins since I was a little tike.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang