MGW gear shift too short?

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a ripper shifter installed. My original gear shift knob was hideously worn after 69K miles, so I bought one of the MGW shifters. The problem is that the MGW shift knob is so short that I can't get the leverage that I need to shift gears reliably, and reverse is now a TWO handed operation (And I don't need any crap about not being strong enough...) And yes, I've already unscrewed the MGW knob as high at it will go.

So anyone had a similar problem? Also does anyone want to sell or trade a original black gearshift for the MGW one that I don't like?

Wimpy Shifter,
Dallas Texas

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an old worn out stock shifter knob and a good MoMo shifter knob that is much like the stock on only a little shorter. Want either of them?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The B&M shifter shortens the throw and will increase the effort required to shift. I had an MGW on, now I have an earlier Viper leather know with the Rich Detert short throw piece. Works great. Anyhow...you need the leverage of the longer handle.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Paul, sorry to hear your shifter is too short
laugh.gif

As a side note, my experience has been that shifting into reverse is generally more difficult than it should be in the viper, esp. if you were moving forward, then stopped and went to shift into reverse (i.e., not as much an issue when sitting still, like starting the car, then shifting into reverse). This didn't seem like a strength issue so much so as trying to find the hole
wink.gif

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slaughterj:
Hey Paul, sorry to hear your shifter is too short
laugh.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW!

I have a stock shift knob that I will trade! Perfect condition! I already have the MGW Gripper, but I could use a spare!

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Paul,

I installed this shift knob last spring. I was bummed by how low the shifter was, I mean the bottom on the knob was below the console, but I didn't have a problem shifting it.

I fixed it with a coupling nut, a bolt with the head cut off and some locktight for like $3 in parts. I think the shifter thread size is 1/2"-20. I basically added 1-1.5" and that was perfect -- I wouldn't consider going back to the stock shifter, yuk.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Ron at SVSI they have a shifter and extensions. The extension sell for $15.00 might fit. I used the short one and switched to the med. and it works fine. Good luck