Michelin is and has been a friend!

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you say. My point was 99% of the people who want to boycott don't even know what they are boycotting. How can someone boycott i.e. Michelin, but chew on a NESTLÉ chocolate bar (pretty sure they are french). It defeats the whole exercise. I am not saying that a boycott doesn't work. I know it does, I just would think that a strategic approach works better than the shotgun approach. ;)

Where I live gas went up to 4,20$ a gallon last year. So a "general" boycott was launched on the gas companies. Let's just say it just didn't work. The effect was too spread out, and the impact was eroded in the price. So they changed their idea to choosing 1 company only, Shell was the target. It took 3 weeks and the prices came back to the regular 3$ per gallon (yup...3$ per gallon). Shell claimed to have lost 1.5 million dollars a day in Quebec. Result was Shell put pressure on the cartel and voilà!

As for the tires...well mine have 200 miles. I'm picking up the Viper tomorrow. Will I last 6 months since this is my first viper? :laugh: :D I'll have to wait and see. :cool:

Michael

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Five surgeons are discussing who makes the best patients to operate on. The first surgeon says, "I like to see accountants on my operating table, because when you open them up, everything inside is numbered,"The second responds, "Yeah, but you should try electricians. Everything inside them is color-coded," The third surgeon says, "No, I really think librarians are the best; everything inside them is in alphabetical order." The fourth surgeon chimes in: "You know, I like construction workers. They always understand when you have a few parts left over at the end and when the job takes longer than you said it would." But the fifth surgeon, Dr. Morris Fishbein,shuts them all up when he observes: "The French are the easiest to operate on. There's no guts, no heart, no balls and no spine. Plus the head and ass are interchangeable."
WELL PUT! I'd laugh, however, this truth is not funny. Worth reading again.

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny coincidence today

My suburban needed new tires today, coincidental to this thread. Guess what, its now riding on Goodyears. Three months ago there wouldn't have been any discussion and it would have remained on Michelins. Feels good to vote in the next French election.

Wellons1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe we should stop buying cars with french company parts like Valeo who is major car part manufacturer. They make Transmissions, Climate Control, Engine Cooling Systems, Lighting Systems, Wiper Systems, Motors&Acutiators, Security Systems, Swithces & Detection Systems and Electronic & Connective Systems for OEM and Aftermarket.
They currently provide parts for BMW, Daewoo, DCX, Fiat, Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundia, Nissan, Porsche, Peugeot, Renault, Rover MG, Toyota, and Volkswagen. We could really make a statement by not buying these manufacturers cars.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My point was 99% of the people who want to boycott don't even know what they are boycotting. How can someone boycott i.e. Michelin, but chew on a NESTLÉ chocolate bar (pretty sure they are french).

99%??? Where'd you get that number?

Boycotting French wine where the grapes are grown in France and the wine is made in France, sounds like a good idea. I saw on the news today that they lost millions from US boycotting wine.

Tires are quite different. Much more global. I'm betting the materials aren't acquired and/or processed in France and they probably aren't made in France either.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought 6 bottles of wine today. All US made. I quit buying French, even skipped Dijon mustard at grocery store, since all cans I found were French made. Screw the mustard....French too....
And I do feel bad about getting Michelins on my Viper, just a short time ago... Next time I get Kumho's!

Lauri

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Michelin is and has been a friend!

When you say this,

"HOWEVER, considering all that Michelin has done for VIPER owners, I would certainly buy Michelin. If all it takes is one phone call for Michelin to be the FIRST inline to help sponsor the upcoming zone rendezvous as well as other events, they have my loyalty."

It makes you look like the BOUGHT DOG that you are.

Real nice. :rolleyes:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Birvini,
I thought it was "real nice" when I wrote it. Anyone who would be loyal to this French company because Michelin would "sponsor the upcoming zone rendezvous", is simply a bought dog.

Their sponsorship of Viper events is not based on friendship or any genuine desire to help anyone. It is simply advertising. When someone takes their side in this, because of company money spent on advertising, they have been bought. Just like a ********** is bought.

We now know that a little car club event money will buy some of you. Who's holding out for thirty pieces of silver?

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Unfortunately, in any war there are bound to be civilian casualties. Make no mistake we are at war and the cowardly french (they no longer deserve an upper case f) hung us out to dry in favor of their former (and potentially future) occupiers and adversaries. Never mind the fact that we repeatedly saved and liberated their latte-sipping, wussie-a$$ butts . In my view, Michelin and any other french owned company should be squarely in every American's economic cross haires. I read Steve's memo (violins in the background) but do not share his empathy. 9/11, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, No. Korea ..... Sorry but America first. french and french interests can KMA.

Reaction score

It is a leap to connect Michelin with French politics. Forget the politics, Michelin is a company that makes the best tires in the world. Do you think as a company They support IRAQ - how many tires did Saddam buy? It is a business.

Now if you can not let it go you have to add Canada, Germany and Russia to your list as they are with the French in this matter. What about Japan? Remember Pearl Harbor? So boycott all products or products containing components made by companies from Canada, Germany, Japan, and Russia. If you stick to your guns your saving account will grow quickly, as it would be pretty difficult to find a car, TV or any consumer electronics product without components from one of these companies; Canada, Germany, Japan, and Russia. Good Luck!

If you do not like the politics of a country let their politicians know. Write them letters send e-mails, carry signs in front of the UN or the specific embassy. Many ways to let the politicians know how you feel.

And a reminder none of these countries supported IRAQ, they wanted more time to resolve the UN Resolutions before using force.

I feel they did us a favor my not getting involved in IRAQ. This allowed the US and England to do it their way.

And a Fantastic Job They Did!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Usually I don't agree with Fred,but this time I do.

Let's get real,Here we have a bunch of rich (mostly) peoples,having too much time on their hands,showing their patriotism by not buying Dijon mustard,french wines or french tires for their expensive toys.

In the real world,we have some brave,underpaid,some of them not even US citizen,soldiers,willing to give their life for our country freedom and our right not to but french mustard.

Don't you think that those soldiers will appreciate a lot more if we helped them get better pay,better housing and for some of them,their citizenship,instead of arguing if you are a "bought dog" because you buy Michelin tires?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fred, you say,
"It is a leap to connect Michelin with French politics. Forget the politics, Michelin is a company that makes the best tires in the world. Do you think as a company They support IRAQ - how many tires did Saddam buy? It is a business."

It's not that any French corp. supported Iraq. It is all about the French elected government. The only way the you and I can hurt the French elected government, is to put economic pressure on the French public.

As far as Michelin selling tires to Saddam, I would be surprised if they didn't. That isn't the point here. The point is to show the French that they can't do what they did and then continue business as usual with the United States. If there is no business as usual, it will hurt the french people. The French people will then get rid of the elected government. The next French government may not respect the United States any more that the present government but they will fear us.

As far as getting the UN to support the actions of the United States, I'm betting that it will be a long time before we look for that again.

I know for sure that the people of the United States are the good guys. I support our present elected government. We did the right thing for the right reasons and we did it the right way. We are the ones who gave away the Panama canal. We are the ones who fought to save the world at least twice, three times if you count the cold war. We rebuilt Europe and Japan and then turned them back to their people. We are the most selfless and honest people the world has ever seen. If the United States had it's way world wide, would things be better for mankind? You bet.

If the French stand in our way, they deserve anything we can do to them.

Reaction score

joe117,

If Bush/present Gov. had the same feeling as you they would embargo products from France. But that would be pretty stupid as the French would do the same for US products. It is a lose, lose proposition.

You are conveniently singling out the French and ignoring the other countries who took the same position? Stick to you bias but that is your reality not mine!

I agree with BUSH and his actions in IRAQ

But not all of the people in the US agreed, there were plenty of protest against the WAR!

Today 1/3 of the French agreed with the US action.

You solution is pretty archaic!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

joe117,

If Bush/present Gov. had the same feeling as you they would embargo products from France. But that would be pretty stupid as the French would do the same for US products. It is a lose, lose proposition.

You are conveniently singling out the French and ignoring the other countries who took the same position? Stick to you bias but that is your reality not mine!

I agree with BUSH and his actions in IRAQ

But not all of the people in the US agreed, there were plenty of protest against the WAR! [/qoute]

Fred,
Do what you want. Those of us that want to hurt france by boycotting their products will do so and feel great about it. As far as france goes they are the biggest A$$holes in this issue compared to the germans, russians and chinese. Personally, I am boycotting all these country's products as best I can. I realize some American products I buy may have components from these countries, however, I will do my best to avoid products I know are from these countries. The best way to fight back is by witholding American $$$s. Forget letters and other such ********. Please don't excuse the french and the others above by saying some Americans were against the war. As far as I'm concerned those sour grape anti-Bush, liberal dems don't count either. And yes, as an American it is my right to think that way and express it! BTW, support the Aussies ( Foster's beer, Black Opal wine..excellent ), British ( Tangueray gin, fish and chips ), Italians ( Pirelli's ) and the Polish ( Polish sausage )! :usa:

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AMERICAN employees of Michelin have gone out and even represented ALL Viper owners by winning the One Lap of America a couple of times. These are good people who have done nothing but treat ALL Viper Owners as someone special. I would hate to think that we don't appreciate all that this company has done for us? They have supported every VCA event, VOI, and Viper Days since the beginning. I would hate to see that relationship demolished because the government where their headquarters is based has basically acted like a bunch of morons.

If you have any questions as to Michelins loyalty to you or this country all you have to do is look around and see all the good they have provided just in our little community. There is no bigger friend to the Viper than this company, and it is a friendship that promises only to grow. Hell, Michelin was the FIRST company to get behind EACH VCA Rendezvous' that we are holding this year, and all that took was one phone call. No one or no other company has been that helping to us.

So I ask that before you bash friends that you at least look at the whole picture. I highly doubt that all the good people who work for Michelin have the same beliefs as the French Government. Please keep that in mind and have a little respect for a brand that has done nothing but help all of us.

Steve Ferguson

Thanks Birvini,
I thought it was "real nice" when I wrote it. Anyone who would be loyal to this French company because Michelin would "sponsor the upcoming zone rendezvous", is simply a bought dog.

Their sponsorship of Viper events is not based on friendship or any genuine desire to help anyone. It is simply advertising. When someone takes their side in this, because of company money spent on advertising, they have been bought. Just like a ********** is bought.

We now know that a little car club event money will buy some of you. Who's holding out for thirty pieces of silver?

joe117

Joe, I am not a "bought dog."

Nor am I a "**********."

I am a female who happens to like Michelin tires for my Vipers. I am also appreciative of companies that give back to their customers. As Steve originally posted, look at the whole picture.

Have a nice day.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nor am I a "**********."

I am a female

Dammit. I didn't know Birv was a female! There should be some kind of special avatar or something. Birv, I appologize for any rude comments I may have made...I won't stop making them, but I appologize for them.

I also won't hold it against you for not being a **********. LOL

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is the macro picture and then there is the micro picture. In the micro picture, I think that we can all agree that Michelin is a fine company that makes good tires and is nice enough to support the Viper Nation and Viper Racing (of course they do this to get the benefit of the tire contract from DC...not because they love Viper owners). No, we don't want to hurt the Americans who rely on the jobs provided by Michelin.
In the MACRO picture, the only way that the "everyday Joe" in this country can show displeasure with the French government is through our personal choices in economic areas. Michelin may be a bunch of great guys, but when their business suffers, they put pressure on their government to quit opposing the U.S. The French have acted so outrageously in the past year, that I personally have tried to stop buying anything French. Obviously, this is difficult for some of us who need Michelin tires, or read "Car and Driver" or "Road and Track," however, anything we can avoid from France makes us feel like we are helping this country. As far as them stopping buying our products "ooohhhh, I'm scared."
On a slightly different note (although related), the U.S. (and therefore our tax dollars) shoulder so much of the world burden in stopping famine, dictatorships, illegal wars, natural disasters, et. al. and we do it ALONE, I, for one, am sick and tired of other countries knocking us and calling us Imperialists. If we were Imperialists, we would have stayed in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and now Iraq, and helped ourselves to free oil. Frankly, I'm not so sure that it isn't a bad idea. When do we EVER get repaid any of the loans or military aid that we dish out to these helpless sad-sack countries which we bail out all the time (are you listening France, Germany, Mexico, etc.?)
Go ahead, call me a hawk or a conservative. I used to be a liberal. Then I grew up, ventured out, and found out what it is really like to make a living and be responsible in society. I think it would be great to live in peace. Unfortunately, there are millions of uneducated people in the world who don't feel that way and want to do harm to the peace loving people in the rest of the world. We have many of those people among us. In the real world, unfortunately it is necessary to use force to keep those people at bay.
With the recent revelation that it is possible that France might help or harbor those of the fallen regime of Saddam, I put the French on the list of those who need to be kept at bay with force if necessary. If ECONOMIC force works without military force....that would be my first choice. Which brings us back to the original point of boycotting French products, and Michelin is a French product.
By the way, do you know why Viper Racers like to ride on Michelin tires? Because they "run" faster.

Reaction score
FYI, The US exports more to France than we import. You may not care about the loss of our jobs but I do!

A boycott is a lose-lose deal with no likely change or benefit to the US in any way. individual's may get a feel good feeling but it is only a feeling and not of real benefit to the US.

As for the French politicians that is another topic which I feel certain our administration can handle.

If it makes you feel better run on GoodYear tires! That is your loss!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
There is the macro picture and then there is the micro picture. In the micro picture, I think that we can all agree that Michelin is a fine company that makes good tires and is nice enough to support the Viper Nation and Viper Racing (of course they do this to get the benefit of the tire contract from DC...not because they love Viper owners). No, we don't want to hurt the Americans who rely on the jobs provided by Michelin.
In the MACRO picture, the only way that the "everyday Joe" in this country can show displeasure with the French government is through our personal choices in economic areas. Michelin may be a bunch of great guys, but when their business suffers, they put pressure on their government to quit opposing the U.S. The French have acted so outrageously in the past year, that I personally have tried to stop buying anything French. Obviously, this is difficult for some of us who need Michelin tires, or read "Car and Driver" or "Road and Track," however, anything we can avoid from France makes us feel like we are helping this country. As far as them stopping buying our products "ooohhhh, I'm scared."
On a slightly different note (although related), the U.S. (and therefore our tax dollars) shoulder so much of the world burden in stopping famine, dictatorships, illegal wars, natural disasters, et. al. and we do it ALONE, I, for one, am sick and tired of other countries knocking us and calling us Imperialists. If we were Imperialists, we would have stayed in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and now Iraq, and helped ourselves to free oil. Frankly, I'm not so sure that it isn't a bad idea. When do we EVER get repaid any of the loans or military aid that we dish out to these helpless sad-sack countries which we bail out all the time (are you listening France, Germany, Mexico, etc.?)
Go ahead, call me a hawk or a conservative. I used to be a liberal. Then I grew up, ventured out, and found out what it is really like to make a living and be responsible in society. I think it would be great to live in peace. Unfortunately, there are millions of uneducated people in the world who don't feel that way and want to do harm to the peace loving people in the rest of the world. We have many of those people among us. In the real world, unfortunately it is necessary to use force to keep those people at bay.
With the recent revelation that it is possible that France might help or harbor those of the fallen regime of Saddam, I put the French on the list of those who need to be kept at bay with force if necessary. If ECONOMIC force works without military force....that would be my first choice. Which brings us back to the original point of boycotting French products, and Michelin is a French product.
By the way, do you know why Viper Racers like to ride on Michelin tires? Because they "run" faster.
Russ,
Well said and I totally agree. Those above that seem to think that michelin supporting the VIPER is the Macro picture sure do live in a small, simple world. Oh well you know what they say ignorance is bliss...must be a french saying! LOL! BTW, thanks for pointing out that road and track is also french owned. I cancelled my subscription today in addition to cancelling my car and driver two weeks ago. I guess I'll only be reading Motor Trend and AutoWeek from now on. F_CK la french! :usa:

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, The US exports more to France than we import. You may not care about the loss of our jobs but I do!

If the United States were to quiver each and every time an outlaw regime (and yes, at this point I consider the French to be an outlaw regime) were to threaten us with economic sanctions, we would be at the mercy of everyone. Also, while I am not equipped with the facts, it is hard to believe that a greater percentage of our economy is riding on the French than vice versa.

I guess the whole thing boils down to how offended you are about the actions and comments of the French toward our great country.

People who side with the French should be forced to drive Peugeots.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

A boycott is a lose-lose deal with no likely change or benefit to the US in any way. individual's may get a feel good feeling but it is only a feeling and not of real benefit to the US.

As for the French politicians that is another topic which I feel certain our administration can handle.

If it makes you feel better run on GoodYear tires! That is your loss!

Fred,
Give me a break. If you think we would lose in an economic battle with france you are at best not very well informed. As Russ stated " I'm so scared ". BTW, as far as I know GoodYear does not make a tire in Viper sizes so buy Pirellis. If I'm wrong about that please advise as I would like to have GoodYears as a choice. :usa:

Reaction score
Did I say we would lose? Please re-read my post. I said lose-lose. As in no win result. I see no need to have Americans unemployed because you do not like their UN vote.

Regarding percentages, Who mentioned percentages?

Some of you seem to read and comprehend what you want rather than what is said.

Simple value of goods imported and exported favor the US.
And this may not a big deal but is a data point.

I did not like the fact that some UN members Canada, Germany, France, and Russia did not go along with a vote for using force in IRAQ.

The fact that our neighbor Canada voted against us is more bothering to me than France or Russia.

But at the end of the day it seems to have made no difference in the result. And likely the war was simpler without France and Russia being involved. So who really cares the way the voted? I for one do not care and support doing what we have to do to keep our nation secure and fight terror. Screw the United Nations!

And I still but Michelins!

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred,
Your argument seemed to lose some steam. You can't say that "there is no need to have Americans lose their jobs because of the UN vote." How else can one make a point to a company that can lean on its government? I'm sure that some Americans lost their jobs [somehow] because we went to war with Iraq or Afghanistan, but does that mean that we shouldn't go? You can't be held hostage in the macro, by the micro. If we did, we'd never go to war under any circumstance because someone would get hurt, killed, or lose their job.
Regarding your "data point." So what if the U.S. exports more to France than they do to us? I believe that our purchases of their products are more important (as a percentage) to their economy than our exported products are (as a percentage) to our economy. I'm willing to take that chance to make my feelings known.
I too, am upset with Canada and Germany. No more BMW's for me and Canada doesn't have anything of value, so no loss there. France does make things that I prefer not to buy until they quit stabbing us in the back. How is it that everybody has forgotten about the Marshall plan already?

Reaction score
Regarding Canada, Germany, France, and Russia I just do not care as their position on IRAQ, it has Zero impact on our ability to deal with IRAQ. And I am not going to put the politics of France on the back of Michelin.

Russ I expect you will start to boycott Viper Days? If yes,when?(why did you go to PIR?) and until when?

You consider France an outlaw and the same as IRAQ? So perhaps you will do Viper Days after the US invades France?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred,
You said,
"Regarding Canada, Germany, France, and Russia I just do not care as their position on IRAQ, it has Zero impact on our ability to deal with IRAQ. And I am not going to put the politics of France on the back of Michelin."

It is a FACT that political support for Iraq by the countries in the paragraph above, caused Iraq to feel that they need not comply with the UN resolution.

It is a FACT that some of these countries provided more than just political support, before and during the war.

It is a FACT that this support was provided in a effort to kill American troops.

When you say that "I just do not care as their position on IRAQ", I hope your lack of care is based on ignorance. If you knew what these folks did, and you didn't care, that would be a bad thing.

Reaction score
Joe117,

Certainly anything they did that was connected to harming our troops is excluded from my comment. I said I did not care about their UN vote! Please do not take my comments out of context. Or is necessary for me to mention UN vote in every comment for you to comprehend or follow?

As for how IRAQ felt then? How do they feel now! I am glad GWB put an end to the soft handling with Middle East Terrorist. Weapons and training facilities are being destroyed. IRAQ's ability to support terrorist is all but gone. And I hope we stay there to secure that country and maintain bases to deal with Syria or Iran if necessary. As stated several times Canada, Germany, France, and Russia not being involved in the war made the task easier for the USA and UK. That is why I do not care about their UN vote.

Lets get back on track. Why blame Michelin for the Politics of France?

You do not like France, or its people that is your choice.

I do not blame their people or Michelin for their Politics.

What did Michelin do to put our troops in harms way?

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred,
Your logic escapes me completely. This has nothing to do with Michelin per se, but rather an overall boycott of companies that are owned by those who chose to harm the United States and its military.
You have truly gone out on an incredible tangent asking me why I support Viper Days, apparently because Michelin is one of their sponsors. I love Skip and the series....should I boycott them because Michelin supports them. Hey Fred, do you want me to stop going to my local grocery store? After all, they sell Perrier water.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" it is a FACT that this support was provided in an effort to kill american troops."

What have you been smoking lately?

That those countries had business deals with Iraq is a given,but from there to say that it was done (the support)with the goall of killing American troops is STUPID.
Were do you get your FACTS from? the Natinal Enquirer may be?
You loose all your credibility with such comment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth