Michelin is and has been a friend!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt someone needed to say this and I apologize if it offends anyone.

Since the first days of Viper, Michelin has been there. They committed to develop a tire to make the Viper experience as great as it could be. Whenever the VCA would request tires for events, Michelin would oblige with no hesitation. When Viper Days needed sponsors it was Michelin that came to the table as the largest sponsor. In short, this company has gone way beyond what a traditional company would do for a very limited sales opportunity.

As a former Vett owner I can tell you that Goodyear never provided 1/10th of the support that Michelin does, and that market is 25 times larger.

The AMERICAN employees of Michelin have gone out and even represented ALL Viper owners by winning the One Lap of America a couple of times. These are good people who have done nothing but treat ALL Viper Owners as someone special. I would hate to think that we don't appreciate all that this company has done for us? They have supported every VCA event, VOI, and Viper Days since the beginning. I would hate to see that relationship demolished because the government where their headquarters is based has basically acted like a bunch of morons.

If you have any questions as to Michelins loyalty to you or this country all you have to do is look around and see all the good they have provided just in our little community. There is no bigger friend to the Viper than this company, and it is a friendship that promises only to grow. Hell, Michelin was the FIRST company to get behind EACH VCA Rendezvous' that we are holding this year, and all that took was one phone call. No one or no other company has been that helping to us.

So I ask that before you bash friends that you at least look at the whole picture. I highly doubt that all the good people who work for Michelin have the same beliefs as the French Government. Please keep that in mind and have a little respect for a brand that has done nothing but help all of us.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said. My stance on this has always been that the government of a certain country should not be the cause of how a company is judged.

Michelin is a very good company and their support in what we all love should be what we judge them on.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said, but too [******] bad they're still owned by the spineless French.. No matter which way you look at it, every tire you buy it puts money in the hands of the French. oh well...

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald said it best. i agree many americans do damnn good work and hard work and its not their fault they are doing so for the benefits of the Frogs. unfortunately that doesnt change the overall outlook. does that mean if AlQueda was in Frances position regarding michellin we shoudl say the same thing? tough call and i for one am glad im not in a political position to do anything noticable, im just a peeon citizen who now is looking at GoodYear tires, LOL

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does that mean if AlQueda was in Frances position regarding michellin we shoudl say the same thing?

Of course not. France is just a bunch of chicken$hits. So we don't ever have to worry about them attacking anybody. We just need to decide how long we should wait before we liberate them when it's their turn...again.

Middle East? Well they're too dumb to ever figure out how to build a tire.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would put patriotism first.
Buy some other tires if you have to buy tires right now. If we can hurt the French manufacturers, they will raise their voices to the French government. Believe me, their government will think twice next time they have a chance to treat the United States like a door mat.
Right now we need to show the French government that their actions come at a cost.
I'm just a little surprised that there are some of you out there that have to be told this. Think about all those young guys over there doing the shooting. What are they giving up in order to show that the United States is not a country to be taken lightly? You guys can't even give up French tires for awhile. All that special care from Michelin bought you. Shame on you.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would put patriotism first.
Buy some other tires if you have to buy tires right now. If we can hurt the French manufacturers, they will raise their voices to the French government. Believe me, their government will think twice next time they have a chance to treat the United States like a door mat.
Right now we need to show the French government that their actions come at a cost.
I'm just a little surprised that there are some of you out there that have to be told this.

:rolleyes:

I really doubt that Michelin whining to their government is going to make them jump on board at this stage. It's practically over, too late. It's the same as protesting against the war at this point, would yo not agree that the hippies in the streets should give it up?

Doing this is not going to change a [******] thing. Why don't you call DC up and see if they will change OEM tire manufacturers, that would send a stronger message. Fact is Michelin will sell millions of tires in the USA this year. Do you think the average soccer mom even knows michelin comes from france? Nope.

At least the tires are made here, if you must boycott french products, don't by direct imports like wine etc...

Like I've said before, there are more important things to worry about.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig,
What would France have to do before you would consider taking part in an effort to hurt their economy?
Believe me, the French manufacturers had no opinion on the war. If they get burned because of their government's opinion on the war, heads will roll.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me they've already done enough. So what will I do to back that up? Not travel there. That is where they are going to make the most $$ for their economy. The majority of people don't even know that michelin is french. Why is that? Michelin doesn't flaunt it. To your average person they're just another tire. Where do their raw materials come from? Michelin probably has very little to no influence on their government the same way comparable companies do here.

If you choose to go ahead and not buy michelins, more power to ya! in this case I think it's pointless except for the sense of personal gratification you'd receive. IT's about as pointless as people here protesting against the war. Lost cause, whose gonna listen?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although your intentions are good, they would be ill placed. As Steve has alluded to, large global companies such as Michelin are deeply embedded in our own economy.

In North America Michelin "employs about 23,000 people in 18 plants, 25 distribution centers, a state-of-the-art research and development center, a newly-expanded headquarters facility and sales offices across the country."

By boycotting Michelin you not only hurt France's economy, you hurt your own.

Quite the conundrum.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me they've already done enough. So what will I do to back that up? Not travel there. That is where they are going to make the most $$ for their economy. The majority of people don't even know that michelin is french. Why is that? Michelin doesn't flaunt it. To your average person they're just another tire. Where do their raw materials come from? Michelin probably has very little to no influence on their government the same way comparable companies do here.

If you choose to go ahead and not buy michelins, more power to ya! in this case I think it's pointless except for the sense of personal gratification you'd receive. IT's about as pointless as people here protesting against the war. Lost cause, whose gonna listen?

I guess someone forgot to explain your doctrine to JFK....... :crazy: :crazy:

Although I have to admit.... Castro survived JFK's embargo? :mad:

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Michelin is and has been a friend!

I wasn't consulted by the French when they chose their position in the Security Council. So I guess the only pull I have with them is to avoid French products. Do they give a crap if one guy in MN doesn't buy Michelin tires, probably not. Do they give a crap if enough of us choose to express out dissatisfaction with our $, probably yes. Screw the French.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think that, for now, all French products must be boycotted, including not vacationing in France. It's the only way to send out a message powerful enough to hurt France for what it has done. When you're between a rock and a hard place, home comes first. USA is our home. France has sided against us. It's time for France to pay the price for their disloyalty and lack of gratitude for all that the U.S. has done for them.

If the U.S. at large is boycotting French products, then no matter how you cut it, if you purchase French products, your actions state that you have chosen France. If you stop purchasing French products, your actions state that you have chosen the USA. Argue this all you like, in as many complex ways as you like, but this is the simple truth, and that is how it will be seen.

You must be registered for see images

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmmmm this is interesting. Normally I would say screw the French product. Buncha spineless wussies.

HOWEVER, considering all that Michelin has done for VIPER owners, I would certainly buy Michelin. If all it takes is one phone call for Michelin to be the FIRST inline to help sponsor the upcoming zone rendezvous as well as other events, they have my loyalty.

Is rendezvous a French word? :p

A big thank you to Michelin!!!!!

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just a note, Germany wasn't exactly running to support us either... they were mostly standing with France. keep that in mind when you buy your next DAIMLER Chrysler item or product! :shocked: Hee hee

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just a note, Germany wasn't exactly running to support us either... they were mostly standing with France. keep that in mind when you buy your next DAIMLER Chrysler item or product! :shocked: Hee hee

True, but this is a France-related Michelin issue here, not a Germany issue. Start a rat-ba$**** Germany thread, if you like. *chuckle*

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let me start by saying that I'm both French and American,having come here,by choice,over 20 years ago and that I feel that I'm as much an American than peoples born here.

That said,all my family still live in France and they are not morons,weasels,assholes or whatever name-calling some of you seems to enjoy calling them.

Don't confuse a government with the peoples in general.
I agree that you have some french morons or weasels but every country,including this one,have some of them.

I believe that France position was not only wrong but more like stabbing a friend in the back (and a lot of french peoples feel the same way).

We need to send a VERY strong signal to the French government,and especilly to this [******] of Chirac,that it is NOT businnes as usual.
I don't believe that a boycott is the right wat to do it for the following reasons:
Beside hurting some Americans workers and some French peoples that may be feel the same way than us,it will not be effective due to the very small number of peoples that will do it.

What can be done is writting to our Elected Officials,Congresman for example and telling them that we want the US govenment to limit all contact with the french govenment to the minimun needed and that we don/t want them being part of Iraq rebuilding and that it will stay this way until either the french governement apologize or is voted out of office.
I havn't voted in a french election for over 20 years,but you can be sure that I will use this power to "help" Chirac out.

luc.
00GTS
03SRT

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

chirac had and still has the support of the arrogant, spineless, in bed with the Devil saddam french people. Did you know that a third of the people in france did not want us to win the war? I'll bet some of those people work for michelin. Further more, if big business in france was not supporting chirac's position he would not be taking that position. So screw the french and the michelin tires they rode in on. Pirellis for me! BTW, I had a trip planned to go to Le Mans this year which is something I always wanted to do...I cancelled it....kiss about $10K U.S. gone french a$$holes! The Daytona 24 gets my $$$s next year.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When you say this,

"HOWEVER, considering all that Michelin has done for VIPER owners, I would certainly buy Michelin. If all it takes is one phone call for Michelin to be the FIRST inline to help sponsor the upcoming zone rendezvous as well as other events, they have my loyalty."

It makes you look like the BOUGHT DOG that you are.

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well this is a tough one. Don't be fooled by where I live (Quebec City). I am about as French as you guys. Here is how I see it.

Objective: Hurt France's economy.

How: Reduce/stop consumption of their products/services that affect directly back to the country. As posted above wine and cheese etc...

Result: It is measureable. You know that by not buying that particular product you are hurting their economy. Now if Michelin employees 25000 people in the states...well that for me is a good reason to continue to support the Americans. Isn't it ironic that the guy working in the Michelin plant as we speak is boycotting french products just like we are...yet we are boycotting him and hurting his family? Nobody wins, loose loose.

This indeed is a tough one. I have taken a stance to stop drinking french wines etc... that come directly from France. The Aussie's make a great wine called YELLOW LABEL, WOW! So this is how I will contribute.

Americans (as well as many pi$$ed off Canadians) have to change their consumption habits. We will have to bite our tongue once and a while; i.e. buying Michelins. But I think it is a price to pay to help the local folks.

I would not put 2nd rate tires on my VIPER, for which I have worked VERY hard for just because the French politicians are ignorant! My Viper means more to me than a country full of Frenchmen. I will however take a personnal stance to do my part and hurt the economy over the long run. This is how the war is won...like a slow death.

I think people would have more success by e-mailing Walmart and Sears etc...to have french perfume removed from their shelves. This would be a direct impact I would think.

Many variables in this one...it will intersting to see how it is played out.

Michael

ryan 94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER FRENCH PRODUCT.... I BOUGHT DANNON WATER YESTERDAY BY MISTAKE... IT WILL GO BACK TODAY... THIS IS MY WAY OF SAYING I DONT LIKE YOUR STANCE AND I WONT BUY ANY AND I MEAN ANY FRENCH PRODUCT( THAT GOES FOR MICHELINS).

TIME TO TAKE A STAND

RYAN

Reaction score
First my position is screw the politics and I am glad the coalition did not have any more members.

But, Interesting to watch the anti-French comments.

In reality they(including the (Rusians and Germans) did us a favor. Now that it is time to rebuild and help start a new government we have fewer cooks in the kitchen. This situation is much better than trying to set-up a new Iraq with the UN. The Russians French and Germans would have their hands in every ***!

Bush seems to care less so why would you?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Bush seems to care less so why would you?"
I think President Bush canceled a planned visit to Canada this month due to the Canadian stand on the war and it's aftermath. I'm sure the French will receive much the same treatment.

"I would not put 2nd rate tires on my VIPER"
Spoken like a true patriot. Give me liberty or give me death, but please, I must have the proper tires.

"By boycotting Michelin you not only hurt France's economy, you hurt your own."
The Michelin workers in the USA will have to be hurt if that's what it takes. What would you like to see? Would you like to see the policy of the United States, paralyzed because of foreign investments? When Michelin Corp. starts to hurt, The French economy will hurt and the French elected government will be in deep trouble.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My stance still holds, Michelin makes the best tire for the Viper and have done nothing wrong as a company to warrent my boycott. Bridgestone is the only other company I have dealt with that has given better service.

I really don't see what people are looking to accomplish by boycotting "french" products other than showing Partiotism (which I find funny because I see Partiotic = helping the fellow american, not putting him out of a job.) because even if you happen to topple the governemtn over there who will replace it? - more French.

Maybe you can convince Bushy that they are producing Dijon Mustard Gas in Mass quanties and invoke a war there too...

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Five surgeons are discussing who makes the best patients to operate on. The first surgeon says, "I like to see accountants on my operating table, because when you open them up, everything inside is numbered,"The second responds, "Yeah, but you should try electricians. Everything inside them is color-coded," The third surgeon says, "No, I really think librarians are the best; everything inside them is in alphabetical order." The fourth surgeon chimes in: "You know, I like construction workers. They always understand when you have a few parts left over at the end and when the job takes longer than you said it would." But the fifth surgeon, Dr. Morris Fishbein,shuts them all up when he observes: "The French are the easiest to operate on. There's no guts, no heart, no balls and no spine. Plus the head and ass are interchangeable."

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe 117,

Don't get me wrong. ;) My point is this. I think we should reflect on what we boycott first. If you have mutaul funds, and I am sure you do...you are certainly investing in french companies. That is unless you know where every red cent of your money has been placed. Joe 117, if you have ever eaten a NESTLÉ Crunch chocolate bar, you are still supporting the french (NESTLÉ when I last read was still french; that is an accent on the last "e"). :( And from what I know they make more than 1 bar. :eek:

So what I am saying is it becomes futile to boycott "french" products because like CRAIG 201 MPH pointed out, half the soccer moms don't know where Michelin comes from. Unless you have an annual report in your hands about every product you are going to buy, then it becomes endless, you will and probably are still consuming French products as we speak. And the way the board is divided there is no middle of the road. You either are or aren't a patriot.

As for the Michelin boys in the states; well no. I will not boycott them and put them and their families before my idioligies while I chew on my KIT KAT (another fine NESTLÉ product I think) during my lunch hour. :rolleyes:

I will choose my battles and hurt the french the way I can. I do respect your patriatism, I wish Canada was more like the U.S., but I will not deprive hard working people and their families because I cannot differentiate what is French and what isn't.

No flame intended, just my viewpoint. :) But I think you understand my goodwill through my post (I hope).

Michael

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MHQC,
Your logic is flawed. Just because someone buys a French product without knowing it is French, doesn't mean that a boycott will not work. Just because everyone doesn't participate doesn't mean that the boycott won't cause big trouble for the French economy and thus the French elected officials.

When the French economy goes down, the French public will say, "why did you bring this to us". And then the French president will be gone and the next one will learn from the mistakes of the past administration.

This demonstration of economic power will not take very long to have the desired effect. If you must buy your Michelins, just put it off for six months or so.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456