Mintex or Hawk HP Plus pads for track day?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently run HP Plus pads front and rear on the car. I think it is great pads for street, not noisy almost no dust and they stop car good for an occasional aggressive driver. I also run those pads on the track and to be honest even though these supposedly a track day pads, I cannot say that my stopping power was great with these pads. I've read a good deal of posts on this forum about Mintex pads. Are they better for the track use than HP Plus?
This site sells them:
Stillen 03-08 Viper Mintex Xtreme Front Brake Pads [D810MX] - $129.35 : Performance Parts - Ford Mustang - Cobra - Dodge Viper - Chevy Corvette - C6 - LS1

Anybody else sells these pads for a good price?

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not buy the Extreme pads for the track, these are street pads. If you want Mintex track pads then buy the F2R pads. Performance Friction PFC-01 pads are also a great choice. You can run stock pads in the rear.

-David

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
As above, run the Race Mintex pads at the track - call JonB at Partsrack. The others are street pads.

I've run both Mintex Race and PFC-01's. IMHO, the PFC's bite just a bit harder but are also harder on your rotors (Stoptech Aero Rotors). The Mintex race pads stop almost as well, are easier to modulate and don't chew up rotors as fast as the PFC's. I now run the Mintex exclusively on the front.

On the rear, I prefer Porterfield R4's over stock pads. They stop better and last longer. Brakeman (#3 I think) also makes a decent rear pad.

Dan

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Mintex up front, stocks in rear. Love it. I think the Brakeman 3's modulated better, but the Mintex were cheaper for a while.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running Mintex race pads up front, stock rear.. knocked off .8 seconds from front pads alone (in a 1:25 min track) .. got mine from JonB.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In one of those name branding ironies 'extreme' is the Mintex street pad! We do have them cheap at $99/set........ we do not recommend these for track use.

Mintex or Brakeman are my favorites

thank you

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In one of those name branding ironies 'extreme' is the Mintex street pad! We do have them cheap at $99/set........ we do not recommend these for track use.

Mintex or Brakeman are my favorites

thank you

Will call you on Monday to place an order.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might as well order stoptech rotors from JonB too... they bite so much better than stock, keep cooler, and work great with the Mintex. I'm sure JonB will give you a great deal on them, he did for me!

Reaction score
The Carbotech XP8 and AX6 set up is better all around than anything I have driven. Great initial bite and no fade. Rotor wear on my Eurotek drilled and slotted rotors has been minimal and pad life is very good for this kind of stopping power. I have pretty much stopped carrying anything else but the Carbotechs because I believe you should only offer things that you find superior.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend runs Carbotech, and while he stops great his rotors are TOAST after a couple days. I'll have to find out what compound he runs.

Where do the xp8 and ax6 fall in the lineup in terms of stopping power and longevity? How many sessions do you think they would last?

I find I can get about 4-5 six-session track days out of a set of Mintex.

Reaction score
It always varies depending on the track and your technique. I have run 4 track weekends on the last set and have more than 1/2 pad left and the rotors look great. The 8/6 setup is the best "track day" setup that you can still drive on the street. I also autocross a lot and they work great there to.

If he is running the full race pads he will work the rotors more for sure because something has to wear and his rotors are it. I have not needed the endurance pads so cannot say, and like I said this all depends on your setup and braking strategy. The better any brake works the more wear it will experience. If nothing is showing wear then you are not stopping as well or as hard as the next guy.

At under $375 a set the Carbotechs are a very good value and hard to beat for performance that's all I'm saying.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do the 8/6 compare to the Mintex and Brakeman 3's in terms of stopping power?

I'd love to be able to run the same street and track pad, but haven't found anything yet. Currently, I keep my stock pads on the rear for both street and track. I switch between stock and Mintex for the fronts between events. At $200/axle, the Mintex are fairly good. Would love the longevity you are getting, though, without the work to boot.

Are you saying you ran 8 track days and you still have half pad left with great rotors? No fade? Wow, that's impressive. Are you sure you're driving hard enough ;)?

Reaction score
I tend to coast in more than trail brake so I may not be as ******* them, but I'm quite quick ;).

I have tried lots of pads and these stop harder than any that I have used before. I was paid contingency money to use the Hawk and Brakeman's and still this is the pad I chose because of the performance. They do squeak on the street but I use them everywhere and they are always ready.

The main local track I instruct at has a 90 degree right at the end of a 158 mph straight and 3 other hard braking zones 2.3 miles long. The other track is a little slower but has more braking areas.

How do the 8/6 compare to the Mintex and Brakeman 3's in terms of stopping power?

I'd love to be able to run the same street and track pad, but haven't found anything yet. Currently, I keep my stock pads on the rear for both street and track. I switch between stock and Mintex for the fronts between events. At $200/axle, the Mintex are fairly good. Would love the longevity you are getting, though, without the work to boot.

Are you saying you ran 8 track days and you still have half pad left with great rotors? No fade? Wow, that's impressive. Are you sure you're driving hard enough ;)?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty tough on brakes so that might explain the 4 track days I get per set lol. I don't trail brake, but I do brake before the turn hard. How do you coast into a turn and still turn fast laps?

Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty tough on brakes so that might explain the 4 track days I get per set lol. I don't trail brake, but I do brake before the turn hard. How do you coast into a turn and still turn fast laps?

Over slowing is slower and if you are carrying too much speed into the corner to begin with because of late braking you are chasing it rather than controlling it. I used to charge everything (learned that in autocross) but at the track I found it better to brake, set the chassis and it will go through the corner faster at a better attitude. This let's me control the attitude with throttle and is faster "for me" anyways.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, well that's what I do. I thought you were saying that you didn't use the brakes at all, and just "coasted" to the turn and used engine braking or something.

I only brake in a straight line, and still go through brakes like crazy. I don't drag them, I hit them hard for a few seconds and am going through the turn with constant throttle.

I started with autox back in the day, too, but got tired of waiting all day for 4 minutes of time.

If you drive like I do, I have no idea how you get so much wear out of your pads. I'll have to try them. If I don't like them, can I get a refund :)?

Seriously, if you have a used set I'd probably buy them up from you to try for a few sessions. If I like them, I'll switch. I hate changing pads between events.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the Mintex race on the track and the street they work great compared to the stock pads. If you haven't changed your brake fluid go ahead and upgrade that as well. Also a must is steel braided brake lines it makes a big difference

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the Mintex from JonB - work great on the street & on the track. They are awesome and a light touch on the pedal is all you need.

Be prepared - they squeal like no tomorrow on the street. Small price to pay for great stopping power IMO.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have run the Carbotech's and they toasted my rotors in one weekend, but it was fun! I was used to that pad from my last car so I thought I would give them a try on the Viper.

Tried Mintex pads up front, it was just too cold out (late Oct) and I couldn't get them to warm up enough and I didn't break them in right:(

Went back to B3's, best overall pad for my driving style, I love late braking:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery