MIR

jeffdai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi! just got back from mir, that was pretty fun!! Wish they would have let me do more than 2 real runs tho
smile.gif
Since i didnt have a hardtop on they told me i had to stay over 14 seconds, so the first run i went ahead and slowed down and ran a 14.3 but then i figured that was no fun whatsoever so the next time i ran a 13.0 and they warned me then i ran a 12.8 and they told me i couldnt race anymore
smile.gif
But thats okay, got to run a couple of times and see everyones vipers!!! Plus now i have a baseline for my car since it is a totally stock 94 right now, so anything i do now i can measure the performance gain. Love the yellow vipers!!! Anyone wanna trade? haha send that yellow viper couple with the silver stripes on over here haha. Just wanted to let everyone know i had lots of fun!! and my girlfriend got some digital camera pictures of a lot of the cars if anyone wants them, thanks again for a great event!
jeff

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,
I guess I saw your car there and I know I saw you on the return road with no top. I don't think I talked to you. Was your car the one with about 5k miles on it? I live in Chaptico.
I didn't think they would let me run at all without the top. When I found that they just didn't want faster than 14, I figured, like you, what the heck, make a run and see what they do. I did make a run, lots of spin and not much bite for me. I had to let up a little and only ran 13.8 and they told me "no more for you today". I did run my white 96 Vette. It's just a regular grocery getter. It did 13.8 too and that made me run under the 13.9 I dialed. I was not real thrilled about the track folks being so disorganised and the large crowd. I don't see how anyone could have made more than 2 runs before the eliminations. All that waiting. I thought they were just going to have a Vette/Viper thing. I didn't know they were going to have all those other cars and the kid dragsters too. All in all I had a good time. The wife made a run with the Vette. That's a new thing for her. JM

OP
OP
J

jeffdai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep that was me, i wish they would have let us run some more, would have loved to get a few more runs in. Those little dragsters were kind of a pain, they took sooooo long to get ready sometimes. I kind of thought they would let us run anyway especially with helmets, since a light hardtop isnt going to to much in the way of helping anything if we wrecked
smile.gif

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it was crowded and only got 2 runs. The good news is I refused to let any of the GM Guys have a chance. First run a Trans Am with Nos.

I Beat him with a slow 11.24 @ 128.63 to a 12.34 @ 115.09.....

Second run was more fun a brand new Z06! I let him go at the lights then eased out of the hole and let it rip with a better 10.68 @ 132.06 to his 12.261 @ 114.78.........He did not look to happy when that was over.

Then they called for quick 8 cars to qualify so, since no Vettes had even run as fast as my mild 10.6, I thought i'd be a shoe in to win... NOT.......

Did a burn out and was going to come out aggressively (instead of the idle/slide clutch deal) Should have picked up about a half second. Instead bit hard and wheel hopped twice and broke the spider gears in the rear..........

Oh well, that was the end of the day But, thanks to a fellow Viper Owner with a trailer the car made it home. THANKS MARK!

By the way with the 354 gear, I could not make the qtr mile without being in fifth gear. That really sucked and the car has much more in it so, I may go back to the 307's.....

Anyway nice to see the Viper turnout and I'm sure Ron will be posting those numbers later as well as everyones times.

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
cool.gif

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee Dove:
10.68 @ 132.06
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Lee, were you running NOS? or was that on motor?

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sell and install NX kits so, yes the 10.68 was on a hundred shot. My system is hidden and virtually undetectable. Custom installations are available....

The 10.68 pass was on a 100 hp shot......
The 11.24 pass was on motor

Bill C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was great meeting alot of the Viper owners for the first time. The track was VERY unorganized and they F-Body club rented it from 9:00 to 2:00pm. MIR thought they would have a low turn out so they let ALL the regular racers in. MIR looking at the almighty $$.

Took a MPH pass and 1st run had to abort it. On my second run I ran a 12.05 @134.95mph. Just drove it through 1st and then hit it in second. Had the blue LPE TT Vette. Have smoked two clutches so I just took a MPH pass and then enjoyed watching the Vipers and Vettes run.

Hope everyone got home safely.

Bill

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a great turnout -- 17 Vipers, plus several VCA members without their cars. By my count, 12 Vipers raced, the rest of us cheered them on. The weather was cool with partly cloudy skies and temps in the 60's -- great for making power. We had one Viper in the 10's, 4 in the 11's, and 4 more at 12.3 or lower. Best Viper ET was Lee Dove, with a 10.68 at 132 mph. Here are the best times for some of the drivers:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Bob Hasychak, 97 GTS, 12.23 @ 121 mph (1st time ever drag racing -- Good job, Bob!)
<LI>Bob Clayton, 97 GTS, 11.60 @ 123 mph
<LI>Mark Brown, 97 GTS, 11.29 @ 122 mph
<LI>Jason Heffner, 2002 GTS, 12.02 @ 118 mph (new car, still stock, but not for long!)
<LI>Lee Dove, 95 RT/10 Venom 600, 10.68 @ 132 mph
<LI>Ed Hatton, 94 RT/10, 12.07 @ 117 mph
<LI>Steve Kaas, 99 RT/10, 11.66 @ 119 mph
<LI>John Frye, 00 RT/10, 12.10 @ 119 mph
<LI>Scott Smith, 94 RT/10, 11.70 @ 123 mph
[/list]

(I didn't get anyone else's ET's. Guys, if you'll drop me an email off-line, I'll update this list.)

MASH -- Where were you?

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the Corvette Forum
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
The Venom-600 Viper with NOS ran a 10.68 @132mph for the quickest car at MIR that I am aware of. Ray will have to turn his boost up or we will add a NOS system to Wheelsup car for next year.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
cool.gif
The Vette guy's are alright.. Just don't want them to win
cool.gif

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had alot of fun today and maybe we can have another good turn out at Englishtown in June..Best time for me today was a 11.60 at 123 for my best ET. Congrats to all the Vipers owners for a good gathering...see ya in June!!!!!!

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good to know my old Venom is in the 10s...I knew that sucker was a strong car!

I couldn't make the race yesterday...had to attend two car auctions. Bought a bunch of cop cars. Oh, boy, eh?

I owned Lee's Venom 600 for less than two years, and drove it on two lengthy road trips. The first was a 1700 mile jaunt from Austin, TX (bought it from SW of Elite Motorsports there), to Va Beach. The second trip was from the VOI in Vegas to LA, then from LA back to Va Beach via Washington, DC. That car never missed a beat when I owned it...never! Plugs, oil changes, and air filter cleanings. A set of tires. That's it. I even saw a consistent 21.5 MPG on the road trips...not bad for a 547 rwhp 514 inch stroker!

Never did I have anything pass that car from the highway roll runs I prefer. Norfolk/Va Beach being a Navy town, there are scores of rice rocket bikes in the area. On more than one occasion I had bike riders (aka organ donors) tell me, after chasing me down after getting their asses kicked from a 70 roll, that they had never been beaten by anything with four wheels from any speed. I mention bikes because I never ran against a car that could hang for more than 10 feet. Bike guys get mad about that stuff...they take it rather personally, for some reason.

Dangerous doing that on the highway? I never thought so...hell I was only on the gas for 2 - 3 seconds to make the point. Only the first second mattered. The other two seconds were because my brain/right foot interface was slower than the car! Danger window = small. Never in traffic, etc.

To borrow a line from Samuel L. Jackson/Pulp Fiction..."It's the one that says bad mother (expletive deleted)."

Lee - thanks for calling last night. I enjoyed the chat, and wish you a speedy rear axle recovery! Oh yeah...I think this entitles me to a wee bit of stick time in that sucker
smile.gif

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that was a fun day. The caravan down did much better than I was expecting too with about ten cars tormenting the camros all the way down from Bowie. There was also a Ligenfelter TTvette that stopped in and dissappeared to join with others. Pretty car, but I don't remeber seeing it go down the track. Oh well. By Waldorf me and the wife of a GTS owner (sorry - I am so bad with names) were left wondering were everyone went. Even though we left with the group at the same time three of us arrived at the track long behind everyone else (hmmm makes me wonder...). Guess my bbody doesn't intimate traffic as much as it used to.

On a more serious note (if thats possbile) I have a couple of good shots that I emailed to Mike for resizing and posting. Hopefully they'll be up soon.

I'm glad to have finally met some other board members and I hope someday we can get that track to ourselves for a true Vette vs, Viper shootoff. That would really be fun.

Bill C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonkers,

Again it was nice meeting everyone. I am the owner of the Blue TT that stopped by. My post on my run is serveral up. The Vettes only have Capital Raceway on Sunday Sept. 8th from 11:00 to 5:00pm. Will see if they will invite the Vipers. There will be NO other events that day, not like MIR.

A fun race would be the Venom-600 and my car on the steet from a roll as posted by the previous owner. But thats illegal.

Take care...Bill

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason and I discussed renting MIR some day for exclusive Viper use. As you would expect, the track is booked every weekend. But we should be able to get a Monday or a Friday, and it shouldn't cost too much. Our region certainly has enough guys interested now that a drag strip day can be a legitimate club-sponsored event. We'll let everyone know when we set a date; probably not before August.

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, Bill

Don't let that 132 mph trap speed fool you, I hit the brakes at the qtr mile mark as I had not drag raced in over 4 years and forgot the mph clock starts after the qtr is over.....

Although, top speed on the car is 205 I seem to run out of **** at about 180 or so
smile.gif
it would be fun however..

Bill C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee,

Looks like we both have some MPH left in our cars. My 60ft was a 2.55 and I did not nail it untill 2nd. Top speed on a TT is 226 do to gearing and 6th gear is NOT usable for a high mph run.

Ran with 10psi of boost and it will go up to 14psi.Mine has a boost controller.If you see a LPE TT with a boost guage on the pillar it has a boost controller in the console. Just a heads up.

And I agree that it would be fun.

Bill

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron Hickey:
MASH -- Where were you?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Ron, wish i could have made it, i had a big presentation on a project i have been working on. Thanks for asking about me
smile.gif

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The MIR day was a blast, but yes it was a little disorganized.it would have been nice to have a parking area for the vipers ..oh well. I had the red 94, tag " VENIMOS " and ran a 11.70 at 123 mph. so there were four in the 11's. a failed nitrous attempt (and me beign greedy to go 10's) resulted in breaking traction first and second..letting off to straighten up (man I looked like a dumba**)and went 11.80 oh well maybe next time.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Did any find out who was driving the blue and black "vetkilr" car? It drove right past the convoy on 301 and the drive didn't even wave (not like we were standing in the road or anything, but still, he should have been paying attention...)

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Also does anyone know how to resize pics using only WinME? I have to use my work computer to shrink these HUGE photos but I don't have, nor can I install, a photo editer.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much Tony. Here are my two favorites from the day (the rest can be found in the media section under car shows):

First is the Pit Shot showing the cars clustered together before heading to the cue. As you can see there is a really cool BBody in the forground. No idea who that idiot is with his back turned to the camera, (oh wait...er...forget I said that), but I see Gary to the far left and ?Gus? with his silver GTS and BRIGHT red shirt.

You must be registered for see images

And my personal favorite is a view from the stands. Ron Hickey's Bumblebee is center stage (like he didn't plan that) and by far drew the largest amount of amateur photographers. Joe's old (as in 103k miles) open top (only black one there) also drew a crowd. Seems that when the top is off it offers an invitation to stick one's head in. This is near end of day (Bad97 was just starting to pack up which is why his GTS is up on the trailer).

You must be registered for see images

Unfortunatly a couple more shots were corrupted and I couldn't get them uploaded. Once I have them set I'll post them to the media file as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456