Mobil 1 and dealers service-NOTE.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe this was mentioned before but for those of you who do not know or forgot as I did, Dodge dealers/service are no longer allowed to sell Mobil 1 oil. I went today to my service dept. for an oil change and requested Mobil 1 0w40 per the manual. The service advisor never got the word that they cannot sell Mobil 1 anymore and after a long wait they told me their synthetic oil now is Quacker 5w40 synthetic. The oil was already drained and I had to wait an hour and a half for a porter to bring Mobil 1 from a local store to the service dept. If you dont change your own oil, dont forget to either bring your own Mobil 1 or just use a quick lube place as they usually carry it. What a hassle seeing that the factory fill is Mobil 1.

Last edited:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the factory fill deal always was a marketing tool: Mobil advertising on the oil fill cap.

Why don't the dealers provide Mobil? There is another thread talking about dealerships selling BG aftermarket products so there is no rule about what they do sell. No national contract anymore?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...part of the reason that I negotiated the deal for IN/KY VCA Members to by our Mobil 1 0W-40 directly from a great distributor.

My purchase price last week for 6 cases was $5.46 per quart.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been adding steadily to my my own personal strategic oil reserve while M1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil is on sale at Wal Mart. You can still get the big jugs of it for $22. I think I'm up to about 30 gallons now. With oils being reformulated to supposedly increase the life of the catalytic converters, I figure it can't hurt to stock up on this stuff while its still available and cheap.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the factory fill deal always was a marketing tool: Mobil advertising on the oil fill cap.

Why don't the dealers provide Mobil? There is another thread talking about dealerships selling BG aftermarket products so there is no rule about what they do sell. No national contract anymore?

X2. Why not?

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep this is true, today my dealer filled me up with synthetic Quaker State, manager told me that they have moved to Quaker State for all SRT vehicles.

Should I be worried?

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep this is true, today my dealer filled me up with synthetic Quaker State, manager told me that they have moved to Quaker State for all SRT vehicles.

Should I be worried?
They did not move to Quaker State. He is not telling you the real story but useing the old sales gimmick 101 again. Plus the QS is 5w40 and not 0w40. Ask him why his new Viper for sale in the lot does not have QS on the oil cap.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you're changing your oil regularly, I don't think it matters one bit to be honest. 5w40 and 0w40 are so close to each other that, unless you live in Alaska and you drive your car 200,000 miles in its lifetime, you won't notice one iota of difference between the two.

Bookie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So what is the suggestion here. I need to get my oil changed in a couple of weeks. Do I let the dealer use the Quaker or do I insist that they use Mobile 1. Will they let me bring my own oil.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what is the suggestion here. I need to get my oil changed in a couple of weeks. Do I let the dealer use the Quaker or do I insist that they use Mobile 1. Will they let me bring my own oil.
Dont go for the QS Jimmy as it just adds to their pockets. I bet they will charge you the same as Mobil 1 and QS is cheaper. Most service dept. will let you bring your own (Mobil 1 or whatever) and charge for labor only. And I hope everyone does this to leesen the costs and send a message. Please insist as I did and have them go get the oil thats stated in the manual. Where is Herb the grail dude now??

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 0W- vs. 5W- only applies at temperatures of -35C. Anybody going out for a drive at that temperature?

The QS 5W40 is API SM/CF, ACEA A3,B3,B4, same as Mobil. That the price is different reflects many, many other things, such as the marketing expense. In my Havoline days, ~30% of the cost could have been support race teams, KMart promotions, etc, depending on who did the accounting. Mobil 1 does a lot of advertising, you have to think that is is disproportionate to their sales volume and it is to benefit other Mobil products.

Quaker State Home

I can't find the phosphorus level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96