Modeling my Viper SRT-10 in 3d

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to throw this up here to see what you guys think. It's modeled with Maya and eyeballed. I have modeled 3d for many years and I wanted to piece a car together to the best of my knowledge and diagrams. I thought it would be a good challenge. This has been months worth of work. I'm just posting it here now. Comments Critiques are welcome.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good stuff:2tu:

Im a general 2D CAD drafstman with some Civil3D Design experience.
Wish i could draw stuff like that...

What software do you use? I have been contemplating learning Solidworks or, Inventor or, Solidedge for awhile now. Any advice?

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What software do you use? I have been contemplating learning Solidworks or, Inventor or, Solidedge for awhile now. Any advice?

Well this isn't an engineering software which makes it more difficult. It's Autodesk's Maya program it's what animators and modelers in the film and gaming industry use.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been looking for a good viper model for maya. Any chance I could play around with it when you are finished?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely amazing work on the modeling!

Dom, I use Solidworks at my job, used Pro-E for school. I love Solidworks, but that's my personal choice.

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a bunch of 3D printers (rapid prototyping machines) at my office, if you would like me to build you a small Viper from your file let me know via my inbox.

PS. Your design is looking great so far.

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Solidworks is an excellent program for product design. Rhino, if your more interested in organic shapes like an artist would create.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I will have to try Rhino. I have the trial version just haven't had a chance to mess with it. I want to use Maxwell Renderer for the renders. Isn't that what solidworks guys use to render their models.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a bunch of 3D printers (rapid prototyping machines) at my office, if you would like me to build you a small Viper from your file let me know via my inbox.

PS. Your design is looking great so far.

That would be cool. What type of file will it take .obj?

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need some suggestions should I do the 08 hood or 06. The advantage to the 08 hood is that I can make an ACR out of it later. The advantage to the 06 is that I have one and it would be cool to have my car in model form. Any suggestions maybe both huh?

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be cool. What type of file will it take .obj?

Hmmm in the end I'll need an STL., Iges and Step are great but you probably cant save those if I remember correctly. Possibly VRML, or 3DS. You may also need to beef up your wall thickness for a small one perhaps even make it into an assembled Solid.

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a few pictures of a 1/4 scale Hotrod I built for trade show and marketing use (I don't know how to post pics here though). It was drawn originally in Solidworks, all the parts are off a 3D printer, primed, painted and some parts were plated.

Ideally you should be using a 3D CAD app for engineers, but wow, a 1/4 scale Viper would be very cool.

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I will have to try Rhino. I have the trial version just haven't had a chance to mess with it. I want to use Maxwell Renderer for the renders. Isn't that what solidworks guys use to render their models.

There are a bunch of different rendering apps, Hypershot produces very nice output, but they may be out of business now or changed hands in the industry. Solidworks also has a rendering application built into certain versions of their software.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I started trying my hand at modeling in 3DS Max a bit ago. Would love to be at this level of competency so as to have a model of my car in Max. Great work.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
long related question - is there a way to take a picture of a car, and turn it into something that can be sliced into 6" thick patterns, that can be used to make a full-size wooden buck?

been working on an idea . . . . .

thanks

BTW - nice work rambo! :2tu:

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Modeling my Viper SRT-10 in 3d Added more progress shots

Here is the rear fender and hood I didn't have these pics when I posted the first set of pictures this is where I am in my progress on this model. Thanks for all the inspiring complements:

I decided to do the 08 hood. I will do a 06 hood as well.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Holy crap, just noticed you are from Dallas as well! Amazing work!!

Out of curiosity, is this kind of stuff what you do as your career?

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Holy crap, just noticed you are from Dallas as well! Amazing work!!

Out of curiosity, is this kind of stuff what you do as your career?

Actually similar but not quite. I am an Art director (Global branding, sfx, graphic design, web, etc) for a company in dallas. However, I got my master's degree in 3d modeling and animation. I got an offer after I graduated from various companies in California but I had to decline due to the minimal pay and expensive cost of living. I'm glad I stayed in Dallas cause if I hadn't I would be able to afford my Viper.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey that looks pretty good.

I've been modeling vehicles for years, taught CAD stuff in the Ford design studios, worked at Chrysler, even the Aston Martin design studio in England, all sorts of stuff, one car I surfaced was on the cover of Road & Track the other year. All sorts of detail stuff I can't talk about due to corp confidentiality agreements...

One of the challenges are the reflect curves or highlights. Blends of curvature that gives shape. A great advantage of surfacing tools like Alias or ICEM / ISD is the advantage for real time editing of the surface geometry and manipulating the highlights. I can't really critique your stuff until you light it up with highlights, the flat color doesn't illustrate the shape that well with basic shading, and it wouldn't be really fair for me to do so either. Even down to not using constant radius fillets etc, need to wash out even the smallest of corners with conics curves, blending curvature from one surface to another which is the basic foundation of modeling. Then there are the highlights, giving some shape to some type of feature or theme, all sorts of illusions and techniques that the artistic creative folks in the studios sculpt with reflections, there are even some that are a corp proprietary design or a theme. So many vehicles today are comprised of features from others.

There's always some type of competition going on, for example:
Car Design Competitions - Car Body Design

In the studios, there's typically the designer, the artist that uses some tools like photoshop, and then there'e the surfacing person using Alias or ISD / ICEM. I've been more of that surfacing type of person, creating the 3D geometry (most of my experience is in CATIA for 18 years, and ICEM embedded into CATIA which is ISD)based on the renderings and clay models, making changes or whatever, more or less translating the artist's vision into reality...

If you already know most of this stuff, don't let me offend you, I don't know what your background is, I just read this post and started babbling.... Feel free to shoot a PM, I have all sorts of connections in the automotive design / CAD world.. and would enjoy helping out if I can. You obviously have that passion if you are doing it at home for the heck of it to challenge yourself, that's great!

Best regards,
Mike

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Modeling my Viper SRT-10 in 3d Update!

More pics of the rear

Nice ass

It almost looks like the Street Serpents. Happy New Years everyone

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey that looks pretty good.

I've been modeling vehicles for years, taught CAD stuff in the Ford design studios, worked at Chrysler, even the Aston Martin design studio in England, all sorts of stuff, one car I surfaced was on the cover of Road & Track the other year. All sorts of detail stuff I can't talk about due to corp confidentiality agreements...

One of the challenges are the reflect curves or highlights. Blends of curvature that gives shape. A great advantage of surfacing tools like Alias or ICEM / ISD is the advantage for real time editing of the surface geometry and manipulating the highlights. I can't really critique your stuff until you light it up with highlights, the flat color doesn't illustrate the shape that well with basic shading, and it wouldn't be really fair for me to do so either. Even down to not using constant radius fillets etc, need to wash out even the smallest of corners with conics curves, blending curvature from one surface to another which is the basic foundation of modeling. Then there are the highlights, giving some shape to some type of feature or theme, all sorts of illusions and techniques that the artistic creative folks in the studios sculpt with reflections, there are even some that are a corp proprietary design or a theme. So many vehicles today are comprised of features from others.

There's always some type of competition going on, for example:
Car Design Competitions - Car Body Design

In the studios, there's typically the designer, the artist that uses some tools like photoshop, and then there'e the surfacing person using Alias or ISD / ICEM. I've been more of that surfacing type of person, creating the 3D geometry (most of my experience is in CATIA for 18 years, and ICEM embedded into CATIA which is ISD)based on the renderings and clay models, making changes or whatever, more or less translating the artist's vision into reality...

If you already know most of this stuff, don't let me offend you, I don't know what your background is, I just read this post and started babbling.... Feel free to shoot a PM, I have all sorts of connections in the automotive design / CAD world.. and would enjoy helping out if I can. You obviously have that passion if you are doing it at home for the heck of it to challenge yourself, that's great!

Best regards,
Mike

Mike, thanks for the tips and crit. I totally understand when you say that it's hard cause you don't see the background. The lighting and render will really make this thing pop. I will be using maxwell renderer or mental ray for the rendering with global illumination and materials I have to model it completely first. BTW I love that Porsche render I saw it on the Road and track magazine I have that issue. Did you just model it and surface it or just render? I can't see the renders that you did on the porsche can you send them to me via email or something. I am going to apply to be a member on this board after new year and can't wait that long to see your renders.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That bodywork looks great., lost of good detail work on the flanges. Makara's probably one of the best 3D animator / rendering guys here.

I work with curvature and reflections when modeling the body, working more in the manufacturing world, like these random pictures from the net below, having to push and pull (B-spline / NURB) surfaces to achieve the desired curvature, and this surface data is used to make the actual molds, like the one car on the R&T issue is a picture of a real finished car, not a rendering. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to share anything from work (respecting our strict customer confidentiality agreements)... usually had enough of work stuff by the end of the day so I don't do much of it at home.

These pics form the net (not mine) show the shaded vehicle, then the flow of curvature.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing some renderings.

Cheers,
Mike

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala