Modifry Shift Beeper installation in GTS

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don Ruckman has posted in the past about this mod, as well as having written instructions for the installation of the shift beeper in the Gen 1 & 2 Vipers. I based my installation on the the fact that he had done it, and read his instructions many times before ordering mine.

This post is meant to accompany his work, but not replace it.

I did find as I worked through it that there are some differences in the Gen 1 install he did, and my '01 GTS. That his instructions did not address in detail. I have those details covered here. I also found a really sweet mounting location for the beeper.

Sooooooo, now that we know what this is about, some might ask what the shift beeper is. It is an audible shift alarm, similar to a shift light. I have a shift light in another vehicle and love it, but did not want to clutter the dash in my GTS with one. The audible alarm sounded like the ticket.

Here is the Modifry web site:

Modifry's Redline Shift Beeper

Don's instructions are also available from that site.

One of the neat things about the beeper is that you get three adjustable warning beeps. 1 - 2 - 3 - SHIFT! I can hear it over my stereo at full blast. I don't track my car so can't account for the impact of wearing a helmet. Don claims it is not an issue to hear the beeper while in full race garb, like a helmet.

On to the goods...

I mounted the beeper and electronics right inside the rear bulkhead by the seat belt retractor. It is not blocked or behind anything so the tone is loud. You also can't see it unless you know it is there.

You must be registered for see images

Pretty well concealed isn't is? It's just to the left of the seat belt if you need a little help finding it.

Now, the nuts and bolts of the installation.

The electronics needs 3 connections to the vehicle: Tach signal, 12V+ switched, and ground. The tach signal is the tricky one.

Don's instructions state 2 places to pick up the tach signal. At either the PCM, or at the back of the tach itself. Well, when I looked up under my dash on my GTS I couldn't even see the tach. Down to one choice then. But I did not want to drill a hole in the car to bring in a wire from the PCM if I could avoid it. Plan B was under way.

Coming out of the PCM is a bunch of wires that go into the cabin via a connector outside the footwell.

Upper right hand corner is that connector:

Inside the footwell it looks like this after a few things have been removed. Center right of photo:

The tach wire is in that mess of wires!

Backing up a bit, there was some disassembly to get to that point. Here's what it looks like to start with:

Remove the duct piece:

Remove this wire bundle anchor from the side of the footwell:

You now can find the gray/blue tach signal wire where the mount was. Too difficult to reach where it is immediately on the other side of the outside connector.

Parts used for that:

Put the mount back on with a few wraps of cloth tape to secure:

Now the hard one is done. Still need 12V+ and ground. There is a ground stud just to the left of the radio on the firewall. The blue crimp terminal is the new wire.

In Don's Gen 1 - no power windows - he picked up the switched 12V+ from the fuse panel. I hit one of the power window switches with another tap connector. Tan wire in my '01 GTS. Either switch would work.

Now we have all 3 connections done. I got them all gathered together to route them down the carpet right by the tranny tunnel. Spliced in some 3 conductor jacketed trailer cable to keep it neat. I used to wire airplanes in the service...

Now for the electronics module and the beeper. Mounted at the top of the rear bulkhead as mentioned. I made a little bracket out of some light gauge aluminum sheet and used velcro squares to attach the beeper and electronics to the bracket.

I painted the front side of the beeper black, as well as the bracket. Plug the hole in the beeper before painting it. The mounting holes for the bracket were pre-existing with the bulkhead construction.

Wired the beeper to the electronics and then got the wires routed down toward the tranny tunnel. Spliced in to the jacketed cable and all that's left is to button up the interior panels.

Please note that I did not use the high RPM playback feature, hence the blue and green wires left unconnected.

Last edited:

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave6666,
Very nice installation, and the differences between the Gen1, and the Gen2 as noted will make the installation easier no matter which 'Gen' one has.
It seems Dodge in their infinite wisdom put the tach in Gen2's way over on the far left, whereas the Gen1 tach is located on the right, (more in the center of the dash) so the tach wire was accessible from the tach behind the dash.
Now, Dave6666, please keep us all on the forum informed as to your experience with using the shift beeper.

GREAT JOB :2tu: :drive: :drive:

Later,

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool!
I've been thinking about a shiftlight because I'm going FI and don't want to over-rev
This would be great

I have found that shiftlights have to be put right in your face for daytime use but are annoyingly bright at night
This is more stealthy and functional

Great writeup Dave - definitley one for the illustrated Guide :2tu:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I missing something here?

The engine computer has a rev limiter so, the only way to over rev the engine is if you make a shifting error and ,light, beeper or whatever is not going to change that.

I do use a shift light in my race cars but, the purpose is not to avoid over reving the engine ( most race cars have an adjustable rev limiter) but simply to do less shifting and be faster.
If, for example I set my light at 400rpms before the rev limiter cutoff, and the light come on a few hundreds feet B4 a turn where I will have to downshift from my current gear, I know that I will be faster and smoother by easing on the throttle just shy of the rev limiter and having to shift only once ( to a lower gear) rather than 3 times ( first to a higher gear and then downshifting twice)

Luc 00GTS

Cool!
I've been thinking about a shiftlight because I'm going FI and don't want to over-rev
This would be great

I have found that shiftlights have to be put right in your face for daytime use but are annoyingly bright at night
This is more stealthy and functional

Great writeup Dave - definitley one for the illustrated Guide :2tu:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The engine computer has a rev limiter so, the only way to over rev the engine is if you make a shifting error and ,light, beeper or whatever is not going to change that.

I do use a shift light in my race cars but, the purpose is not to avoid over reving the engine ( most race cars have an adjustable rev limiter) but simply to do less shifting and be faster.
If, for example I set my light at 400rpms before the rev limiter cutoff, and the light come on a few hundreds feet B4 a turn where I will have to downshift from my current gear, I know that I will be faster and smoother by easing on the throttle just shy of the rev limiter and having to shift only once ( to a lower gear) rather than 3 times ( first to a higher gear and then downshifting twice)

Luc 00GTS
luc, I think you answered your own question
I was stating that I want to shift before the rev limiter
you should not be using the rev limiter as a shifting point
with the S/C I'll want to shift early since no power is made after 5800 rpms

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With all due respect, big time.

As BOTTLEFED pointed out, the OE rev limiter is NOT something you want to use frequently. I hit it once in 2nd. I'd rather have a root canal.

Gizmos like shift lights or beepers are to assist in preventing you from ever hitting the OE rev limit.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not to stop you from overreving (hitting the limiter), but rather to assist you as to when to shift.
The unique and valuable advantage of the shift beeper are the warning beeps which activate before your maximum set RPM. Remember, you set the maximum RPM you want as your shift point - 1000,3000,5000,8000(not Viper),........... RPM.

Later,

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235