Mopar GTS-R Heads?

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, guys,
Anybody know of a website that outlines the specific differences between the Mopar GTS-R heads and the stock heads? Thanks.
Chris

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

Since the intake becomes the limiting factor when you do head work - the general consensus is that it is not worth the extra money for the Mopar heads.

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, okay - I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info. What if you run Lingenfelter's siamesed intake? Or extrude-hone the stocker? Does that move the restriction to the heads or no?
Also, what about the lesser head set that Mopar offers? Are they much better than stock? Is this the set that most tuners base their ported/polished head setups on? Sorry for all the questions
smile.gif
. Thanks again.
Chris

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, found the info on the Mopar Street Heads in the archives. Anybody know flow numbers on LPE's siamesed intake? Thanks.
Chris

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys. Two other questions now:
1. Does anyone else cut and port intakes besides LPE and Modern Performance?
2. How well would having heads extrude-honed work? Saw it on www.extrudehone.com , but it seems like it would probably remove more material than necessary, wouldn't it? Anyone had this done?
Thanks in advance.
Chris

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, GTSR heads will fit a production block with no problem. Bore spacing is the same, as are the cooling passages. Martin, I am still looking for a set of cores for you.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kyle,

Are you sure? I know the Mopar performance heads will fit.
But I was told that the GTSR castings would not work.

But, I defer to you. You certainly have the knowledge.

As for the castings. Please continue to look. I was under the assumption you and I were talking about the Mopar heads. But, I would much rather have the GTSR's if possible.

Regards,

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No question that the GTSR heads will fit a production block...have installed them myself.

The best, strictly in terms of flow numbers, that I have seen from a production head would be in the 280 range on the intake. The GTSR can easily eclipse that, but the intake becomes the restriction for a monster head, like a ported GTSR.

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HouseofSpeed:
No question that the GTSR heads will fit a production block...have installed them myself.

The best, strictly in terms of flow numbers, that I have seen from a production head would be in the 280 range on the intake. The GTSR can easily eclipse that, but the intake becomes the restriction for a monster head, like a ported GTSR.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I assume that if you go with ported GTS-R's, then even an extrude-honed stock intake wouldn't flow enough to take full advantage of the heads. No one makes a custom intake yet, right? Thanks.
Chris

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Here's a custom intake on a motor by CDI I saw last summer.
You must be registered for see images

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GO 4LO:
No one makes a custom intake yet, right? Thanks.
Chris

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting. I don't suppose they had any flow numbers on it? Any plans to produce it? Thanks for the pic - it looks sweet.
Chris

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:
You are doing real well if you can get an Extrude Hone intake to flow 215 at 50 (Stock =210 at 50 A hand ported then Extrude Hone intake flows 221 at 50.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for those numbers. I would have thought there would be a bigger improvement from extrude-honing. Would you happen to have the flow numbers on the stock heads, by chance? Thanks again.
Chris

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:
Guys dont get to carried away with PEAK horsepower numbers .IN A STREET CAR APPLICATION IT IS BETTER TO HAVE HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE over a broad powerband than a peak number.A few people have expermented with aftermarket intakes and increased horsepower at the expense of losing torque over the entire RPM BAND.Though the peak number was higher the car was actually slower.In a street Viper a good head, cam combo with a little intake manifold work ECT will make peak power at 5700-5800.RPM .Please also note moving the power band into the 6000s with carbon fibre intakes ,solid cams and GTRS race heads requires A DRY SUMP OIL SYSTEM to keep the engine together since the stock system is inadequate past 6000 rpms.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1bad gts -

Very good post!

Although my opinion would differ just a tad
smile.gif

Regards,
Doug

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, what about having the heads extrude-honed? extrudehone.com lists it on their site, but would this be as effective as porting? Seems like it would remove a lot of material. Thanks.
Chris

VENM8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is somehthing funny from Mopar's performance site about the heads you are thinking about. Is Mopar is contradicting themselves? (see bold lettering).

VIPER

GTS-R Performance Parts-GTS-R CNC-Ported Cylinder Head

New 356T aluminum casting fully machined with oversize CNC ports and combustion chamber.

· Port volumes 269cc and 76cc for intake and exhaust respectively

· Bolts directly to production or GTS-R blocks

· 18° inline valve angle

· 64cc combustion chamber

· Beryllium copper valve seats

· Magnesium bronze valve guides

P4876838 GTS-R and 1996-01 GTS and 1997-01 RT/10

*Not designed for use on production vehicles or with production parts.

Reaction score
Hi fella's, first post. I would like to add something to this thread, having done a few sets of these. Don't get misled into thinking you can bolt these on "out of the box" and realize a huge gain because it's not going to happen. The base numbers are pretty dismal and are right there with the stock heads. They do, however, have an enormous amount of "potential". But they must be done by a reputable head porter that is willing to put the time in on the flow bench to get everything out of them.

Also, I have to disagree about the R heads not being a worthwhile change when staying with the stock manifold. Yes, it's true that a sheetmetal, or some trick injected manifold would realize better power from these heads but the same holds true for a really good set of ported stock heads also. When you've been doing this for a long time, like myself, you discover that steady state flow testing on a Superflow flowbench will sometimes mislead you on some things. Manifolds is one area where this happens. I have seen a phenomenom with these long runner manifolds with relation to performance versus cfm drop on a cylinder head where they run much better than they should, according to steady state flow testing. This became vividly apparent on an LS1 project I was involved with last year. Did you know that a bone stock black plastic LS1 manifold is good enough to run 9's on motor in a 3600 pound car? Well it is. The stock LS1 manifold will drop a 300 cfm head to 216 cfm. I witnessed one that was picked up enough to only drop that same head to 250 cfm, and it gained nothing on the chassis dyno or the track. It took a sheetmatal manifold to go faster and it was only .15 seconds better. Long story short is that the long runners already contain enough air to fill a cylinder and therefore don't gain as much power from porting as we have become accustomed to expect from other manifolds that have shorter(less volume) and curved runners. It's simply a situation where the runner volume makes up for lack of flow, or rather, the engine is relatively indifferent to how well the manifold flows because all of the air needed to fill the cylinder is already in the port, having re-filled during the three subsequent engine events after intake closing. This is where we go wrong relying on steady state flow tests because the flow in the engine is not steady, but pulsing. The port, as run on the engine, flows at a high rate for a short time, then rests and re-fills, waiting for the next intake cycle. The Viper manifold provides a relatively straight shot into the head and holds a lot of volume as well. The better the head flows, the quicker the runner is emptied. We at TNT have seen a substantial HP gain from these heads, regardless of the manifold type.

Greg

Reaction score
Our experience with the R heads has been completely different than yours, 1 bad gts. We have seen more power with these than our best stock castings every single time. We have not yet reached a point where more flow and did not equal more power. So, it is my opinion that the R heads are not too big (intake port cross sectional area) for a 488 incher. Flow-wise, you never have too much flow. I always get a chuckle when I hear someone say that a head can flow too much.

It is impossible for me to guarantee a particular horsepower number that MY heads will make with YOUR engine combination. I wish that I could. But, being the non-BS type of person I am, I can't. There are too many things that have to be perfect for the heads to work properly. I know you have probably heard people talk about having "the right combination" before, so you know what I'm talking about, heads, cam, manifold, headers, etc. It doesn't take much to throw an engine 30 or 40 horsepower off. You could even have the right engine combination, but let's say the cam isn't degreed in correctly.....well.....then the engine won't perform well.

But I CAN personally guarantee flow numbers. That is the only thing I have complete control over. How well a tuner puts them to use is beyond my control. Heads are just the tool we use to get air into and out of the engine. I do my flow testing at 28" of water. A decent set of R's will go 320 cfm @.650" lift and the all out ones go well over 330 cfm. Both versions do that with strong mid-lift flow (.300"-.500" lift) as well. I'm a big fan of mid lift flow. Without it, a head porter is leaving a lot on the table (and a lot of unfilled cubic inches). I don't have my flow sheets in front of me but if memory serves me correctly, just for reference, a set of stock R's only go about 240 cfm, about like stock.

The only way I could approximate how much I can help the heads is to flow them on my bench to compare them to other Viper heads of known performance that we have done. A look at the rest of your combination would also be necessary, the cam mainly.

Greg Good

Reaction score
I did not say "your" engine was 30-40 off. I stated that it is easy to be that far off if an engine combination is thrown off by having mismatched components. It sounds as though your car runs really good . The only thing I'm not understanding is how you didn't gain anything from a better flowing set of R heads.

I have not heard of 620 to the rear wheels from a normally aspirated 488 incher either, yet.

Reaction score
Based on what I've seen so far, you should have realized a significant gain with 30 more intake cfm. You don't say if that was just a gain at high lift (.600") or if there was also a gain along the midlift as well. Sometimes a gain only at max lift doesn't do as much as we'd like for it to. Gotta have that mid lift flow too. Like I said before, I haven't yet personally seen a situation where the intake runners were too large.

I wasn't trying to pick your car apart in my other posts. I hope it didn't come across that way
smile.gif
. You know how things can get misconstrued on the internet sometimes. Your car is a rocket ship already. But we're always trying to do better. Horsepower is definitely addictive.
supergrin.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth