Moroso tonight, April 1st, ACR vs GT-R

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will you be timing the laps? I'd be interested in how the 2 compare in lap times.

My opinion (still uninformed) is that the ACR is faster but requires more operator skill than the GTR. Extending this, I suppose that the GTR will be quicker in the hands of a less experienced driver and the ACR will be quicker in the hands of an expert driver - I think it's that close.

Greg

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The original plan was for the drag strip, but I just heard they are running the road course as well, so maybe I'll do both..... no timing for the road course though.....

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this gonna be on the new 2 mile IRL course? I remember the 4+ mile VIR head to head test between the GTR and ACR and it was a massacre. ACR by 7 seconds a lap. That is not close.

A tight, short technical track I could see the GTR hanging around a little as awd loves that configuration plus speeds would be low so not much if any aero advantage for the ACR around turns, maybe. But looking at the PBIR[Moroso] track config doesnt look too tight. Im guessing the ACR will romp given both cars have a competant driver.

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
weather was pretty bad tonight, humid and 86 degrees.....

I was concentrating more on the Viper, but still gave the GT-R a few runs..... best runs:

GT-R:

60': 1.85
330': 4.824
1/8: 7.27 @ 99.73
1000': 9.408
1/4: 11.21 @ 123.92

ACR:

60': 1.761
330': 4.848
1/8: 7.35 @ 96.59
1000': 9.499
1/4: 11.27 @ 127.10

DA was about 1,800 feet, 82 degrees, 75% humidity.....

I did run em head's up with my friend driving the GT-R, 11.5 in the GT-R vs 11.45 in the ACR....... I had a better reaction time and 60', so I won by 1/2 second or so to the finish line....

Something is off with the Viper, it should be easily trapping 100MPH in the 1/8, I was getting the car out of the hole just fine (1.76 60'), not sure what's going on, 1st gear just takes forever..... something is holding it back after the launch in first gear.... after that it pulls very hard.... maybe the bad DA, but the GT-R did just fine....

my 1996 GTS with 150 less HP could pull 95 MPH in the 1/8!

We ran the two on the highway, 60-140, the Viper pulled by about 5 cars.....

I also drove both cars on the road course..... both did very well.....

I'll post some videos tomorrow....

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
weather was pretty bad tonight, humid and 86 degrees.....

I was concentrating more on the Viper, but still gave the GT-R a few runs..... best runs:

GT-R:

60': 1.85
330': 4.824
1/8: 7.27 @ 99.73
1000': 9.408
1/4: 11.21 @ 123.92

ACR:

60': 1.761
330': 4.848
1/8: 7.35 @ 96.59
1000': 9.499
1/4: 11.27 @ 127.10

DA was about 1,800 feet, 82 degrees, 75% humidity.....

I did run em head's up with my friend driving the GT-R, 11.5 in the GT-R vs 11.45 in the ACR....... I had a better reaction time and 60', so I won by 1/2 second or so to the finish line....

Something is off with the Viper, it should be easily trapping 100MPH in the 1/8, I was getting the car out of the hole just fine (1.76 60'), not sure what's going on, 1st gear just takes forever..... something is holding it back after the launch in first gear.... after that it pulls very hard.... maybe the bad DA, but the GT-R did just fine....

my 1996 GTS with 150 less HP could pull 95 MPH in the 1/8!

We ran the two on the highway, 60-140, the Viper pulled by about 5 cars.....

I also drove both cars on the road course..... both did very well.....

I'll post some videos tomorrow....

Good run! Your 60' in the ACR is awesome ! the best I have seen. You might of been getting some clutch slippage and didn't realize it because you have to get slippage to put down a 60' like that with stock tires, and you picked up over 30 mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4 mile which was a couple of mph better than my 10 sec run with the same 60'. When you look at my video you can see clutch dust on my leave and on one of my earlier runs. I had a good 60' but got a lot of clutch slippage and I peddled it and I had a similar timeslip to yours. Don't know for sure if that was your case, but maybe?
Love those GTR's! What mods does your GTR have?

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to slip it a little to get out of the hole decently, you can see the dust like yours on my videos. I don't think the clutch was slipping after it grabbed. For my first few runs, I was starting at lower RPM's, no slipping, and the traps were similar 95/127. I launched at around 4500 RPM for the 1.76 short time and was getting the shifts done pretty quickly.

The car is being finicky with the ETC, the other night I took the car out on the street for some testing GTEC runs, the first run, the car spun through most of 1st gear, GTEC showed 100 MPH 1/8 and 131 MPH 1/4 traps. Each run after that, with a better launch and less spin, it trapped 95/127, just like at the track.

I would like to blame it on the weather, my +1800 DA vs your -1000 DA is certainly a factor, but my GT-R only lost 1 MPH in the 1/8 and 2 MPH in the 1/4 vs the last time I had it out in decent near sea-level DA conditions. I feel like the Viper is off by about 6 MPH.

I kept going through the traps at the very end of 3rd gear. I tried going into 4th, but it would drop the traps, as I was shifting right at the end of the run.

I just had the belanger headers/exhaust installed last week (I have the mopar ECU as well), so this was my first set of runs with the new setup, the mods explain why I would pickup more on the back half than you were. Looks like I'll have to wait a while to try again when the weather cools down at the end of the year..... :\

The only mod to the GT-R is a tune....

Jroc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT-R is moving like that with just a tune? Sounds great! Im such a big fan of both of your cars, ever head out to 27 or anything like that? Heard theirs a GTR down there trapping around 134 that I would love to run with my viper.

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey brook, are you going to homestead on the 11th with HOD or on the 18th with NASA. id like to hear your exhaust. i just installed the mopar pcm and a 3:55 rear differential, lets see how it does on the track.

benny

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't do the 11th, 18th is questionable as I might head over to the air strip rental on the 19th.... I'll probably head up to tower shops tomorrow, have you been?

hey brook, are you going to homestead on the 11th with HOD or on the 18th with NASA. id like to hear your exhaust. i just installed the mopar pcm and a 3:55 rear differential, lets see how it does on the track.

benny

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, ran 11 flat @ 126 MPH with just a tune.... haven't heard of a GT-R trapping 134 down here.... it's possible with the actuator upgrade to get the car to hold more boost.....

I used to head out to chrome, US27, etc, but they starting busting it up and writing "spectating a drag race" tickets..... so I haven't been out there in a LONG time....

The GT-R is moving like that with just a tune? Sounds great! Im such a big fan of both of your cars, ever head out to 27 or anything like that? Heard theirs a GTR down there trapping around 134 that I would love to run with my viper.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
timeslip and video, even with a 1.76 short time, the car still bogs!

2008 Dodge Viper ACR 1/4 mile video

With the gearing its going to be hard to get rid of the bog, but it looks like you are driving the car perfect! If you take one of them out next week maybe I will see you out there as I will be in town and plan on going out to Moroso or PBIR whatever they call it these days.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOur car looks sick. Love the look at the dragstrip. Congrats on the runs.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the gearing its going to be hard to get rid of the bog, but it looks like you are driving the car perfect! If you take one of them out next week maybe I will see you out there as I will be in town and plan on going out to Moroso or PBIR whatever they call it these days.

Jamie,

Are you going to have either car down here to run at Moroso? If not, I'd be interested, well, maybe you should drive one of these cars that might show up and see what time you can put down.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to slip it a little to get out of the hole decently, you can see the dust like yours on my videos. I don't think the clutch was slipping after it grabbed. For my first few runs, I was starting at lower RPM's, no slipping, and the traps were similar 95/127. I launched at around 4500 RPM for the 1.76 short time and was getting the shifts done pretty quickly.

The car is being finicky with the ETC, the other night I took the car out on the street for some testing GTEC runs, the first run, the car spun through most of 1st gear, GTEC showed 100 MPH 1/8 and 131 MPH 1/4 traps. Each run after that, with a better launch and less spin, it trapped 95/127, just like at the track.

I would like to blame it on the weather, my +1800 DA vs your -1000 DA is certainly a factor, but my GT-R only lost 1 MPH in the 1/8 and 2 MPH in the 1/4 vs the last time I had it out in decent near sea-level DA conditions. I feel like the Viper is off by about 6 MPH.

I kept going through the traps at the very end of 3rd gear. I tried going into 4th, but it would drop the traps, as I was shifting right at the end of the run.

I just had the belanger headers/exhaust installed last week (I have the mopar ECU as well), so this was my first set of runs with the new setup, the mods explain why I would pickup more on the back half than you were. Looks like I'll have to wait a while to try again when the weather cools down at the end of the year..... :\

The only mod to the GT-R is a tune....

Turbo cars respond better than NA cars to DA changes from what Ive heard and read so that would explain the GTR handling it better. I think you are spot on on blaming the weather for the Vipers performance. Nothing wrong with the car.

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a cold front is coming down, probably the last one, so a few of us are heading to PBIR on wednesday..... see you there.....

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the paddles to shift, my car has the updated launch system which I am using, it's not the full launch control the debuted with the car, but a rather toned down version so the tranny doesn't explode... :)

when you used the GTR did you use the paddles and or launch control????

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have the best of both worlds there. Nice going and bet there are a lot of readers who are gritting their teeth that the GT-R is faster for you. Got to love that reliability too.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have the best of both worlds there. Nice going and bet there are a lot of readers who are gritting their teeth that the GT-R is faster for you. Got to love that reliability too.
Nobody is gritting their teeth. Traction control, turbo, paddle shifter, yeah its going to be better in the 1/4 especially modded. That is not what the ACR was for. The GTR knows its place in the ring.

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been driving Vipers for 10 years and the GT-R for 7 months, the GT-R is an amazing daily driver, but I would still like the ACR to stomp on the GT-R at the drag strip... :)

600 RWHP and 3400 pounds in the ACR "should" kill the 475 whp 3800 pound GT-R.....

the fact is that my GT-R smokes my ACR to 100MPH even with the ACR getting a better launch and 60' time!

someone needs crack this Viper ECU and the ETC.... the car is clearly not letting all of the power out down low....

I'll give it another try tomorrow with some decent weather coming in down there in south florida....

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It did kill the GTR..127 mph is 4 mph faster than 123 mph..

5 car lengths by 150 mph is HUGE

The GTR is AWD and despite what the 60 ft says the GTR will just hook and go on the 1-2 shift..Unlike the Viper wich im sure you have to baby on the 1-2 shift..My lil 470 rwhp 2003 SRT10 needed to be babied on the 1-2 shift..

The mph tells the real story here...In better weather you have a 130 mph trapping viper and a 126 mph trapping GTR..

You know how hard it is to gain

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc