Motive pressure brake bleeder; Any Good?

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read some old threads on the Motive brake bleeder and there was some concern of the adapter not sealing well on the master cylinder. Someone recommended a Ford 3 prong cap and claimed that took care of the issue. I have a 2000 GTS with stock master cylinder. Does anyone have any experience with this? Seems like an easy and inexpensive way to bleed the brakes if it works properly.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I recall this is the concept of purging via pressure versus pulling versus vacuum. If so, I have one and don't like it and will not use on the Viper again. Takes too long to set up, assure a seal, etc. Concept is good but I guess the old fashion way works best and is alot faster.

I do use others that draw a vacuum and like those best when convincing the wife to sit in the car and push the pedal does not work.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will never use anything else. I screwed around with mine and the universal adapter on a pickup until I realized the real ticket is to ensure you get the dedicated cap. Non ABS Vipers use the Ford 3 prong cap. Motive has ABS caps too. Just call them.

Steps? Attach cap and Motive, pump up empty to 20lbs, validate no leaks, open Motive, add fluid, pump up again, open bleeder valve at wheel, close, check Motive and pump back up, do other 3 wheels, turn Motive on side so pickup tube is not in fluid, open valve again which will stop pushing fluid and bring reservoir to level, close valve, release pressure on Motive, remove cap, clean up. So simple a caveman can do it.

The real benefit is that this is a continual amount of pressure throughout the bleeding process. The old school way of starting and stopping while pushing the pedal allows air bubbles to stay at high points in the lines. Is it a disaster? No but I like the Motive way.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cap they sent me absolutely did not fit. Seemed to, but poured brake fluid out like a mo' fo'. I got the Mopar cap, but it only fits certain years, not mine.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The univeral cap works fine. It might take you another minute to get the chain properly set but it's really no big deal.

I've had the system for 3 years. Must have changed the brake fluid at least 20 times. No issues.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to hear from folks that use the Motive and regularly do track days (road course not drag strip !! )

I recently read an article on StopTech's website which does NOT recommend this style of pressure bleeder. See paragraph titled "Pressure bleeding do's and don'ts " at StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades .

The concern is that using this device can force air into the brake fluid and degrade it's compressibility.

I'd guess that the effect is not noticeable on the street; but, is it noticeable on the track ???

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one for my 'euro' car, and it works great. I haven't gotten one for the Viper yet, because I didn't see a fitting listed other than the universal. I will try the Ford 3 prong. Thanks for the info. I like it better than the other methods. I completely change my fluid every track event, and I use different colored fluids each time to ensure a swap without waste, and the Motive works well and fast due to the pressure. ;)

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would like to hear from folks that use the Motive and regularly do track days (road course not drag strip !! )

I recently read an article on StopTech's website which does NOT recommend this style of pressure bleeder. See paragraph titled "Pressure bleeding do's and don'ts " at StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades .

The concern is that using this device can force air into the brake fluid and degrade it's compressibility.

I'd guess that the effect is not noticeable on the street; but, is it noticeable on the track ???

I have one and use it before every track day. Well, actually if I go back to back I don't but if a month or so goes I use it. I use Ford HD brake fluid (dot 3) which has a high dry point by low wet boiling point, but it's cheap. I don't drive the care in the rain and I usually push two or more cans through when I bleed.

I love the Motive bleeder and wouldn't use anything else. I did buy the specific cap to my car. It fits tight, holds enough fluid to do all the wheels as needed and is a one man operation. Brakes have never been mushy since using it.

Carl

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I built for a pressure bleeder, a few years ago.
It is a common garden pressure spray bottle that you put **** killer in to spray your weeds; however, this one never contains liquid, only air. The black "cork" you see is a rubber "cork", that I drilled a hole into so as to slide it onto the shaft.
(You really don't/can't drill an exact hole in the rubber, but you can get it big enough and VERY tight to slide onto the shaft - a little WD40 helps)
NOW it does take 2 people to bleed the brakes.
Pump the canister up with air, hold the cork in the master cylinder reservoir, have the second person open the caliper bleeder, release the pressure handle (as if you were spraying weeds), to force air in. You will need to hold the cork with a fair amount of force to keep from blowing out.
My wife (the second person) is an expert at opening the bleeder (with a piece of clear surgical tubing attached), which empties into a catch can. She is also an expert at seeing the new fresh brake fluid when it appears.

BrakeBleeder01.JPG

Works like a charm.

OP
OP
J

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I have come to the conclusion that there isn’t any thing you can do to a viper that does not involve controversy of some type. That is what makes it fun:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456