Motor Trend ...blah

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was so excited to see the Newest MT at Barnes and Noble this weekend. The SRT-10 coupe was on the cover! Red with silver stripes. I couldn't wait to turn to the page that listed the SRT vs Z06 performance numbers....here comes the blah. 3.5 vs 4.2 11.5 vs 12.2 HORRIBLE! The whole article was very positive, talking about how great the car was, but they expected it to be faster (so did I) and we'd have to wait until they tested both cars on the same track on the same day. I now think I'll give up the arguements that the two cars are neck and neck(stock vs stock) because those times ain't even close! Maybe it's like the Ford GT that ran 11.1 @131....tweaked. Maybe it aint.

I gotta get some more mods. That's the only saving grace the Viper has (and it's a HUGE one!) vs the Chevy.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is B.S. to use numbers not performed on the same day and track and hopefully the same driver(or not), and to call it a comparison test! At least same day and track and let dodge and chevy send out their best drivers to get the best times. Come on MT at least make it an apples for apples comparo

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS. they tested the convertable at 3.9. the coupe should be faster than that. BS!

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was afraid they would do.

It is total BS!!!!!

Unfortunately, these numbers will be etched in stone by the vette crowd.

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its all crap.

when you have two 500hp vehicles being tested, you first have to test them side by side under the same conditions. Second, I still beleive the Viper demands a little more driving skill to get good numbers in the 1/4. It has so much more torque at such a lower RPM then the vette that it demands more backpeddling(feathering) of the gas pedal at launch.

Lastly... on the street, Viper vs Z06 will come down to individual driver skill, both cars are to close in performance that it will be the skill level of the owner that will make the difference

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was afraid they would do.

It is total BS!!!!!

Unfortunately, these numbers will be etched in stone by the vette crowd.

Kind of like the Road and Track different-day/different-condition comparo was by some in the viper crowd here? It's hilarious how when numbers favor crowd-x's particular car they are deemed "realistic", but when they favor crowd-y's they are deemed "b.s".

Intelligent people know mag times are generally poor anyways, even more so the higher the hp gets. With cars with as much power as the Z and the SRT, it's almost completely pointless. If it's a same day, each companies or a pro driver type deal, fine. Otherwise, you can throw almost everything the rags come up with out the window. Judgement is better reserved until two stock cars in the hands of private owners can be put up in repeated roll-ons, dead digs, and same day road course times...

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me put on my poser hat for a second...

I really don't care if the ZO6 ends up being a few tenths quicker. Just look at this beast. Looks as if it was sculpted out of solid metal. :eek:
4382Viper_Coupe_5chop_copy.jpg

4382coupe14.jpg

<font color="blue">LOVE IT!!!</font> :headbang:

Ok, poser hat off :D

Picture credits:
Toby and fast-autos.net :2tu:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with M. ROD...who cares if its a little bit faster we still have an exclusive car that looks a lot better then the new z06

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I really don't care if the ZO6 ends up being a few tenths quicker. Just look at this beast. Looks as if it was sculpted out of solid metal. :eek:
4382coupe14.jpg

Picture credits:

I don't know... The rear has these wonderful curves, then when you look at the front there are these aggressive angles. Both great looks, but not so good together. I still think it's frankenstein. :(

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no question in my mind which car is 'better' but it 'could' have had the same power to weight ratio as the Z06 with only 40 more horses. K&amp;N's, a little exhaust work and a retuned computer. I don't think that would qualify as needing a multi-million dollar recertification...but I could be wrong.

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

4382Viper_Coupe_5chop_copy.jpg

4382coupe14.jpg

Picture credits:

Hey M.rod. Can i put your poser hat on? I like it alot and i think it would look better on me... ;)

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the other blah: There's a small square (We Hear) that says 'C6 Z06 really makes up to 550 hp'

It's on page 22. The blurb also says 'which would explain its astonishing performance at the Nurburgring's Nordschleife'

Um, Motor Trend, you guys had an article about SAE certified testing. Either it's certified at 505 or it isn't.

So the ringers make around 550 and customer cars make 505? Great journalism.

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you guys are overreacting...

The actual quote from the Viper Article...

"As of this writing, neither Motor Trend-- nor anyone else--has track-tested an SRT-10 Coupe alongside a new-gen Z06. But we have run them each on different tracks, on different days, and with different drivers. While these numbers (below) aren't conclusive, they do provide a look at the highest-stakes domestic performance matchup since the original Corvette/Cobra wars of four decades ago.

This particular Viper Coupe was slower than we expected, as we've tested the SRT10 roadsters to under four seconds to 60 mph, around 12 seconds in the quarter mile, and with stopping distances from 60 to under 100 feet-- numbers consistent with the SRT's claims. Perhaps it was that this particular car required a 1-2 shift to hit 60? The Supervette looks faster at first blush, but don't make any bar bets until we have production versions of both cars in the same place at the same time, being pedaled by the same test driver."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang