Moving to Dayton, OH...

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like I'll be heading out of ATL this summer and moving to Dayton, OH. What's the driving season like up there? I grew up in WV, so I know its not year round...

I saw the Ohio VCA website, looks like you guys are pretty active.

do you have to run front plates in Ohio?

Last edited:

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I moved from Ohio last summer.... yes they require front plates, no I did not ever install my front plate... I never did get a ticket for no front plate.

The driving season is so short though... that with work travel I didn't put more than 2,000 miles on the Viper in the two years I lived in Columbus.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey snampro, I grew up in Dayton. Live in Columbus now, about 80 miles East. There are some very active members in Dayton. I believe one of our members is organizing a Viper drag event at the local drag strip for the fall. Kil Kare Dragway. What part of Dayton are you going to land in?

OH does have a front plate rule. I do not, nor would I ever, run a front plate on the Viper. Years ago I had a Mustang as a daily driver. No front plate, however, I did get ticketed once. It's not uncommon to see sport/exotic/rods without front plates. Usually they won't mention it unless you're already having a "discussion" with law enforcement for another reason. I got pulled over for speeding last summer. Cop loved the car, I was VERY polite. No ticket, he never mentioned the plate.

One thing you'll enjoy in Dayton vs. Atlanta, a LOT less traffic! :D

Last edited:

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Dayton as well.

We have an excellent Viper Tech here. Ohio VCA is excellent - have only made one activity but they are very active and a great bunch. While the weather is not always the greatest, there are TONS of car related activities and it is fun. Columbus will have the National Arthritis Show in July as well as the Good Guys at the Fairgrounds. Both great shows. You will be close (within 3 hours or so) to Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, Louisville, Indianapolis and Detroit and within 5 hours of Chicago, Pittsburg, Nashville, St. Louis and more. Of course if your in your Viper those times are signifantly less !

I moved from Dallas in 93 and miss it, but you are so centrally located here it is a good place to live and the cost of living is great. Lot's of festivals etc. Drop a line if you need assistance.

Regards,

John

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just flew up there for a few days and it looks like we will be living in the Centerville area. Seems like a nice place and is not as flat as I remember. I've been there in the winter so I have an idea what I'm in for.

I actually saw a yellow GenII RT/10 driving around the ****** Creak area while I was checking out the area.

Thanks again,

snampro

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey snampro,

i'm in columbus, and there are a great members from dayton. from a dayton vca member, there is a great viper tech down there, and he's pretty cheap too!

we have several events here in ohio, but i'm not sure if were as active as what i see you guys down in atlanta are.

good luck with the move, and hope to see you at the next vca event!

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ryan, if you want to get together some time for a cruise, let me know.

Unfortunately, I won't be at the club event this Saturday. Ironically, I'll be in Dayton (Centerville) visiting my mom for her birthday.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sounds good bob,

where is the meeting this saturday?, i haven't heard anything about it!!...my sister is graduating on saturday afternoon, so i won't probably be able to go anyway.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Cincinnati and grew up in Centerville.

Centerville is a great area.

The Ohio VCA has some good people in it so you should have fun.

You should have your pic of real estate as I think more people are moving out then in. If you plan to stay int he area only for a few years I would consider renting. Dayton, OH is ranked in the top 20 nationally, #2 in the state for foreclosure rates.

The area is VERY depressed imo when it comes to commerce. About the only major life in that town is Wright Patterson Air Force Base. Most major companies have either downsized or closed.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. we plan to say indefinitely, so we are going to buy. I was actually surprised at the cost of houses there, I expected them to be listed for less, but I suspect I'll be able to negotiate a great price.

my wife and I are both involved in the military-industrial complex, so WPAFB is what Dayton is all about for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth