Moving to Hawaii

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well as some of you know I have been in Iraq for a while. I finally have an out date which is September 7th. I have accepted a job in Hawaii and will start work October 1st. I will of course be shipping my Viper out there so I can enjoy it. I was hoping there would be a regional forum for Hawaii but there does not appear to be one :(. I was wondering how many members live in Hawaii, and if any what region do you claim? How many Vipers are actually in Hawaii? I know that there is one track there and I will be taking my car there probably every weekend. Is there a recommended dealership that I can count on to do work on my Viper there and not have to worry? I of course do not want to just take it to any Dodge Dealership.

Also I have heard that keeping the car clean there more often is a must due to the salt in the water when it rains. Does this do damage to the car, say faster than normal? I will be keeping it parked in the garage but plan on driving it everyday and anyone that knows Hawaii knows that it rains for short periods of time pretty much everyday, so you never know when you will get rained on when out driving. I am really excited to have gotten the job in Hawaii and talk about extremes, going from Hell on Earth(Iraq) to Paradise. :2tu:

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I played a video game for a while where you live on hawaii and drive a viper around. Man your lucky!!
Well the bad thing is the speed limit is never over 50, and that is just for a small stretch on the highway. I have been there twice on vacation. So there is really no where to open it up except at the track. So of course that is where I will be taking it often.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in 2003 they raised it slightly in Hawaii. Did they lower it again?

2003: The Cayetano administration raised Hawaii's limit to 60 mph last year on stretches of the H-1 freeway between the Kapolei and Kunia interchanges and on H-3 from the Halawa Interchange to the Koolau tunnels. The action came after studies showed that 85 percent of Hawaii drivers exceed the speed limit. It remains 55 mph elsewhere on rural stretches of the freeways.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Which Island and town?

Maui has a drag strip and the big island has some wide open empty areas around parker ranch.

rust will be happening. So will moisture in your brake fluid so change it more often. It can be a real surprise if you're coming down Haleakala, get down about as far as the protea farms, the moistuire in the fluid boils, and the brake pedal goes to the floor.

http://forums.viperclub.org/members/newport-viper.html used to be "Maui Viper:

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm maybe they did. I know when I was there on Oahu in 2005 the highest I saw a sign say was 50. It looks like you are right though I just looked it up and it says 55 on most highways and 60 on H3.

JacksViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hawaii doesn't sound to Viper friendly. You would be much better off, if you would just give me the car. I'll take good care of it and will even send you an occassional photo. Trust me!!!

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which Island and town?

Maui has a drag strip and the big island has some wide open empty areas around parker ranch.

rust will be happening. So will moisture in your brake fluid so change it more often. It can be a real surprise if you're coming down Haleakala, get down about as far as the protea farms, the moistuire in the fluid boils, and the brake pedal goes to the floor.

http://forums.viperclub.org/members/newport-viper.html used to be "Maui Viper:

I will be staying on Oahu. I will be working in Kailua but am not sure were I will be living yet, possibly in Kailua or Waikiki. I know Oahu has a track but not a 1/4 track which is what I was really wanting :( I dont know if you even call it a track, its at Aloha Stadium parking lot. Anyone have any information on this track? I was told there is alot of Porche's and Vette's that race there.

thanks for the heads up with the Brake fluid. How often do you think I should change it? Thanks :)

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hawaii doesn't sound to Viper friendly. You would be much better off, if you would just give me the car. I'll take good care of it and will even send you an occassional photo. Trust me!!!
Ok sure I will rent it to you for $10,000 a month :D That deal is really tempting ;)

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<Ok sure I will rent it to you for $10,000 a month >> That should just about cover your rent for a 2 bedroom apartment there....:rolaugh:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worked on a feature out there in 2002, there used to be a dragstrip right next to the refinery (I think Chevron) in Oahu. I guess it's gone now. We used to take our rental cars out there on Friday nights, it was a blast. (Hawaii Raceway Park?)

Last edited:

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the date and new job in HI. Since their speed limit doesn't exceed 50mph you may have to get some 4.11's for the ole Viper to keep things interesting. lol
Anyway, HI a kewl looking place with awesome weather - post some pics when you get settled and enjoy the Pacific surf...

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you. Yeah the gear change should keep things interesting. I wont even have anywhere to use the Nitrous :omg:

I will try and get some nice pics with scenery in it with the Viper. I will get a tripod for my Nikon Pic so expect some nice pics in October. I am going to have to learn to surf now being right by some of the best surf water in the world :)
Congrats on the date and new job in HI. Since their speed limit doesn't exceed 50mph you may have to get some 4.11's for the ole Viper to keep things interesting. lol
Anyway, HI a kewl looking place with awesome weather - post some pics when you get settled and enjoy the Pacific surf...

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked it up and it seems for Premium it is around $4.50 a gallon :omg: That is why I am going to try and find somewhere to live as close to work as possible. I will be daily driving the viper though thats for sure. I have been too long without the Viper to make it a garage queen when I get there. So does anyone know of any good certified Viper Mechanics on the Island? If not I am going to have to learn to work on my Viper other than the basics like changing the oil, etc.
what is gas costing out there now? gotta be brutal

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the hawaii gig. I need to move there shortly and get the hell outta ohio... ;)
Yeah going from Iraq to Hawaii sure is going to be a good change thats for sure. When I got the offer I could not pass it up, especially to be able to live in Hawaii. I guess my luck is starting to change after being in paradise here in Iraq for this long :D

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your service! :usa:

BTW, watch out for the he-she's. May be in your best interest to conduct package checks before enagaging in any forms of bodily fluid exchanges. :D

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was working in Honolulu just last year. The H1 traffic is really bad. There are times during the day when you can open it up because traffic is light. I did not have my Viper then. I did notice Vipers for rent in Waikiki, so you could ask those guys where they take them to be serviced. I did see some F1S and porches out there running around. Be sure to goto the Yard house in downtown Waikiki, its an awesome bar and restaraunt. As far as the weather, you are right it rains alot but usually only for about 10 min. Was very rare that I saw it more than that. I envy you. I loved my time there. Goodluck. Parking is definately a premium and hard to find when you are out and about. Get a moped. The views going the back way to northshore would be awesome in the Viper. As far as surf lessons, use Hawaiin fire. You can look at their website hawaiianfire.com They are firefighters that teach, they were actually on the travel channel. I took lessons from them, they have their own beach and custom made boards. Have fun man.

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your service! :usa:

BTW, watch out for the he-she's. May be in your best interest to conduct package checks before enagaging in any forms of bodily fluid exchanges. :D
Yeah I have heard about the he-she's in the area. I wont be looking as I am happily married :D

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was working in Honolulu just last year. The H1 traffic is really bad. There are times during the day when you can open it up because traffic is light. I did not have my Viper then. I did notice Vipers for rent in Waikiki, so you could ask those guys where they take them to be serviced. I did see some F1S and porches out there running around. Be sure to goto the Yard house in downtown Waikiki, its an awesome bar and restaraunt. As far as the weather, you are right it rains alot but usually only for about 10 min. Was very rare that I saw it more than that. I envy you. I loved my time there. Goodluck. Parking is definately a premium and hard to find when you are out and about. Get a moped. The views going the back way to northshore would be awesome in the Viper. As far as surf lessons, use Hawaiin fire. You can look at their website hawaiianfire.com They are firefighters that teach, they were actually on the travel channel. I took lessons from them, they have their own beach and custom made boards. Have fun man.
Yeah I remember when I was staying in Waikiki on vacation in 2005 the traffic was pretty bad. I also noticed Vipers for rent so I will ask them where they get them serviced. Good point. Too bad I wont have anyone like the Wizard or Dan Craigin around though :( Fortunately where I work at there will be parking there so that wont be a problem. Going downtown though you are right parking will be a pain. I have been to the North Shore and you are right, the views are unbelievable. I am also going to have to get a Jet ski. I am very excited about this opportunity especially coming from Iraq, talk about a change.

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it seems that "Twister" is from Hawaii also. Anyone know what island he is on? I will find out what dealership he had a problem with out there and be sure to avoid that one. I mean I dont forsee any problems especially in the near future as it is in the hands of the Viper perfectionist right now "Dan Cragin" but down the road in case something happens or even to get it serviced, etc I need to know where to take it. I like to know ahead of time that way I am not scrambling and just find a random one rolling the dice on if they are decent or not. Thanks for the links. :2tu: This site rocks. Thank you everyone for your helpful information.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a place in Maui and I enjoy going there from time to time but for a car guy, it's just not a place you can enjoy driving anything. Thats why I didn't move there. Surfing and girl watching is about the just of it. It's truely a different lifestyle. I call the place Tattoos and no shoes.
Mahalo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456