Mustang gt-500 got me by a nose!!

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 2008 GT 500 which was subsequently converted to a 725HP Supersnake here at the Shelby factory. In stock configuration the GT 500 felt about the same as a GEN 1 Viper but not as strong a Gen 2, 450 HP Viper. The GT 500 is way too heavy and was pretty much a slug bone stock. At 725 HP it overpowers the chassis and is very difficult to gain traction. Heck even deep into 4th gear now it breaks the tires loose. Its really a handful. While I haven't lined both cars up at the strip I think the Gen 4, 600HP Viper with its weight advantage and better chassis takes the 725 HP Supersnake. No question it runs a lower lap time on any road track anywhere. The SS feels like it has 8 inch 1960s era polyglass tires. Which is exactly why its so much more fun to drive than the Viper. However for the money the Gen 4 Viper is a much better value than the SS. My humble opinions.
:drive:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy just bought an '09 GT500. He made a couple mods to the blower and his new GT500 runs 618bhp at the crank. He said that he won't waste anymore money on power adders until he can fix the severe wheelhop problem that comes with 285's (?) on the rear (I have 285s on the front). I also figure that my 600 pound lighter car, 14 brakes and bigger tires all the way around my Viper and ABS should embarrass any GT500 or SS. It would be interesting to watch a street tired Mustang go fast with such small tires and no slicks.

If it wasn't for the weight and tire differences the Mustang would be classed as a Supercar with the vette (both have 'ordinary' models with ordinary hp, 500hp models and vette has a 630hp while Mustang SS has the 700+hp model).

Ted

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a true American hero would know streetracing kills :omg:

sorry but the crybabies are out in full force

US auto accident fatalities annually ~43,000
US street racing fatalities ~300

I think a more accurate statement would be "driving kills", there are 300MM people in this country and NEWS FLASH, people die all day everyday for all sorts of reasons. Street racing kills as many people as bee stings do so how about a rant against honey eaters?

TRUE AMERICAN HEROES DON'T EAT HONEY!!!

But thanks for looking out for our safety.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 2008 GT 500 which was subsequently converted to a 725HP Supersnake here at the Shelby factory. In stock configuration the GT 500 felt about the same as a GEN 1 Viper but not as strong a Gen 2, 450 HP Viper. The GT 500 is way too heavy and was pretty much a slug bone stock. At 725 HP it overpowers the chassis and is very difficult to gain traction. Heck even deep into 4th gear now it breaks the tires loose. Its really a handful. While I haven't lined both cars up at the strip I think the Gen 4, 600HP Viper with its weight advantage and better chassis takes the 725 HP Supersnake. No question it runs a lower lap time on any road track anywhere. The SS feels like it has 8 inch 1960s era polyglass tires. Which is exactly why its so much more fun to drive than the Viper. However for the money the Gen 4 Viper is a much better value than the SS. My humble opinions.
:drive:
Les ,i was at the Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford test last year when Gary Patterson of Shelby brought down a boosted up Supersnake(boost turned up ect ) they needed drag radials to do anything with the car (as you mentioned it quickly overpowered the stock tires ).A stock (pump gas SUPERSNAKE ) will have its hands full with a Gen 4 the boosted model though that day was quicker than my car.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure which event you are referring to but Gary has told me the Supersnake needs smaller wheels and slicks and will get into the 10s which is what the car was running for the magazine article it was stock SS except for the wheels and tires. They have played with their red prototype SS and with race fuel and more boost got it up over 800 HP and run deeper into the 10s I don't think they have broken into the 9s yet but the car simply over powers the chassis. One reason is that the suspension is set up for a road track and won't squat at the rear for the strip or a hard launch. On the street it sort of skates rather than grips. It probably needs much stickier tires for any application. Tons of fun though never boring but simply not sorted out to any degree like a Viper but the SS with its hood and interior pieces is bad to the bone if you like that old 60s muscle car look. I couldn't be any happier with mine.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure which event you are referring to but Gary has told me the Supersnake needs smaller wheels and slicks and will get into the 10s which is what the car was running for the magazine article it was stock SS except for the wheels and tires. They have played with their red prototype SS and with race fuel and more boost got it up over 800 HP and run deeper into the 10s I don't think they have broken into the 9s yet but the car simply over powers the chassis. One reason is that the suspension is set up for a road track and won't squat at the rear for the strip or a hard launch. On the street it sort of skates rather than grips. It probably needs much stickier tires for any application. Tons of fun though never boring but simply not sorted out to any degree like a Viper but the SS with its hood and interior pieces is bad to the bone if you like that old 60s muscle car look. I couldn't be any happier with mine.
Thats the article iam talking about as the same day they were running my 08 Viper. The Snake Gary had at Englishtown NJ was set up to run 100 octane (no cats ,boost turned up )and was trapping with DRs a good 6 mph faster than my Gen 4 that day.If you happen to run into him out there please tell him Joe with the Venom Red 08 Viper from NJ (friend of Evan Smith )said hello.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the article iam talking about as the same day they were running my 08 Viper. The Snake Gary had at Englishtown NJ was set up to run 100 octane (no cats ,boost turned up )and was trapping with DRs a good 6 mph faster than my Gen 4 that day.If you happen to run into him out there please tell him Joe with the Venom Red 08 Viper from NJ (friend of Evan Smith )said hello.
Ps the best he got that day with my 08 was 11.3 at around 129 plus Super Snake was around 10.7s at 135 plus.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will let him know you said hello. With the traction issue's I don't see me doing any better than mid 12s with my stock SS. But I am a crappy drag racer.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will let him know you said hello. With the traction issue's I don't see me doing any better than mid 12s with my stock SS. But I am a crappy drag racer.
Les that SS that Gary had that day ate my GEN 4 for lunch on the drag strip.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am probably confused but when I spoke to Gary about his run of getting into the 10s he told me the SS was stock except for wheels and tires and possibly fuel? He did tell me they had been working also with it boosted with high octane fuel getting over 800HP. Our conversation was prompted by a challenge the Camaro boys and laid down to me to bring my SS to the super car reunion they have each year in St. Louis for the Yenko's, Baldwin Motion, ZL-1 s etc. The Nickey Chicago guys are creating a run of Nickey Camaro's with 700+ HP and they want me to bring my SS to run against one of their 700HP Nickey Camaro's. So I stopped by to talk to Gary about how to get my SS to hook up since I can't get any traction at all with it on the street. I don't think I could beat my 08 Viper with my SS on the street from a standing start I just can't get any traction in any of the first three gears. Even if I slowly modulate the throttle as soon as the thing spools up I am losing grip? Other SS owners have told me most of the time on stock tires they are running in the 12s due to the traction issue's? Some have broke into the 11s. The only thing that approximates the feeling of no grip like the SS is my old muscle cars on the 8 inch poly glass tires?

I guess the question is what would your Gen 4 do with slicks like Gary was running? I am assuming you were on stock tires???

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am probably confused but when I spoke to Gary about his run of getting into the 10s he told me the SS was stock except for wheels and tires and possibly fuel? He did tell me they had been working also with it boosted with high octane fuel getting over 800HP. Our conversation was prompted by a challenge the Camaro boys and laid down to me to bring my SS to the super car reunion they have each year in St. Louis for the Yenko's, Baldwin Motion, ZL-1 s etc. The Nickey Chicago guys are creating a run of Nickey Camaro's with 700+ HP and they want me to bring my SS to run against one of their 700HP Nickey Camaro's. So I stopped by to talk to Gary about how to get my SS to hook up since I can't get any traction at all with it on the street. I don't think I could beat my 08 Viper with my SS on the street from a standing start I just can't get any traction in any of the first three gears. Even if I slowly modulate the throttle as soon as the thing spools up I am losing grip? Other SS owners have told me most of the time on stock tires they are running in the 12s due to the traction issue's? Some have broke into the 11s. The only thing that approximates the feeling of no grip like the SS is my old muscle cars on the 8 inch poly glass tires?

I guess the question is what would your Gen 4 do with slicks like Gary was running? I am assuming you were on stock tires???
Evan Smith drove both cars my Gen 4 was on stock tires but never the less putting a drag radial on it would still not allow it to come near a 10.7 at 135 plus .The 135 mph trap speed in a 4000 lb car is some serious horsepower.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Evan Smith drove both cars my Gen 4 was on stock tires but never the less putting a drag radial on it would still not allow it to come near a 10.7 at 135 plus .The 135 mph trap speed in a 4000 lb car is some serious horsepower.
Ps i believe they might have been playing with different pulley sizes (more boost )along with timing advances ect =all made possible by running the 100 octane.If you do the math a 135 mph trap in a 4000 plus lb car is probably around 800 to the flywheel.The 08 Vipers make around 625 to the flywheel and weight 3400 lbs and on that day trapped 129.7.

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
should be a good street race between the two and especialy since the GT50 most likely has some bolt ons. id rather see you take it from say 65mph and go from there...id bet a different outcome.

a LOT of these mustangs will **** a near stock viper regardless of year. TONS of them are modded pretty heavily and the guys/kids know how to drive since they do it often. dont ever take any car for granted.....

I definately agree with PlumCrazy, you can't take any car for granted. I have a friend that use to fix up eclipses and talons. He had the same style eclipse that was in the first fast and furious. It was an all wheel drive and he upgraded the turbos and added a boost controller along with upgrading a few other normal support items, probably the pushrods/springs/retainers, etc. He netted just over 400RWHP on an all wheel dyno. That is a lot for a small all wheel drive car. It would eat people off the line and do good all the way down too. It was a bad little car. You wouldn't know it could do that because it looked stock and you would stereotype him as a Fast and Furious Ricer wanna be.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yea not to mention its a mustang.... I had mustangs when I was 16-17 ... and the gt500s are way way overpriced as you can buy corvettes and vipers slightly used all day that will eat them alive.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a highway pull against my friends new unmodified gt500 and i pulled him by a few cars.

I have early 93 viper with belanger headres, cats and catback. 3.55 gears and smooth tubes.

Pretty light mods but I was able to take him out pretty easy. Granted im sure if you put a few mods on that gt500 it would be a different story.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 1996 RT and a 2008 GT-500 convertible... they are different cars for different duties.... but I dare say it's not a 16 year old's car.