My 2002 ACR Viper is GONE !! :-( NOW WHAT?? GT vs F430??

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I have this photo that I probably will be regretting for a while, until I get my replacement car, but it felt good letting my Baby go to a really good guy.

Here is a photo of the historic event (for me):

4596Picture_048-med.jpg

So.. The Future...

I am honestly torn between a F430 and Ford GT. I am thinking that the Ford GT would be the way to go, but curious what others think?

Any insight?

Jon

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the ford gt is an awesome car and there is actually one advertised in autoweek magezine at msrp the past few weeks my guess is that if you know anyone at ford dealer you maybe able to do better than msrp.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The f430 will always be a ferrari which means to some its the ultimate sports car. Now I love all fast cars, and f430 is no exception but the GT is just one of those unique cars that only comes around every 30-40 years.

For my self I cant leave things stock, no matter what they are and the GT is just a better car for someone like myself. Has much more power potential, and down the road will be a more desired car.

Anyways good luck with the purchase and you really cant go wrong either way.

PS. Have you considered a used f40.
;)

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
IMHO the GT. Better performance, just as exotic and limited, much better price, easier and cheaper to maintain and insure. Considering the color of your ACR there is a 2006 GT in the latest AutoWeek that is tungsten gray w/ silver stripes, every option, has the BBS split 5-spokes, brand new on MSO, no price listed, call 361-552-1155. There are several others advertised. Why not go out to the Barrett-Jackson next weekend and look around? Good luck!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go get another GTS of course!You are forgiven for being temporarily insane.If not a GTS then get a 550 or 575 Maranello.There is nothing like a big front engine haul your *** down the road in comfort room for small luggage GT car.If you're looking for ultimate handling then by all means go true mid-engine.Remember a Ferrari is a 12 cyl car the same as a Viper is a 10 cyl car.No real Ferrari or Viper has les than 12/10 cylinders.Ferrari 12 cyl car per Enzo.Current FF opps I mean F1 rules not withstanding. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then again if you have a lot of bucks how about a ferrari 250 (the original and ultimate )GTO. or a classic ferrari daytona 365.Not want to spend a lot of bucks?Then Austin Healy 100/4 Lemans or a mark IV 3000.Dude you sold a classic.There will never be another.Possibly a viper replicar gen 2 like the replicars of the cobra daytona coupe?I gotta stop now it hurts. GTS Bruce

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you wanna try something besides another Viper, i say go for the F430. I was at a Ferrari dealership when a guy purchased a new black one. Seeing it drive off into the sunset was awesome. A Ford GT40 is a FORD. That right there takes it off any "dream car" list i have

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two totally different cars so it matters what you are looking for. Here are some quick specs:

Ferrari F430: Great car that is a Ferrari plain and simple. I am a huge Ferrari fan but most Viper owners do not like the transition. Maintence is a pain in the butt with these cars although it has a warranty. You main question is do you want to drive the car like a Viper or are you going to baby the Ferrari like it "requires"? If you drive the car really hard, you can end up breaking it and the price to fix it might make you cry. And if you put "miles" on the car you can kiss resale goodbye after the 430 production is stopped. But the thing with a Ferrari, there is nothing like driving one. You will have a experience that you will never forget. Kinda like the first time of owning a Viper but it is a totally different beast. More refined so to speak.

Ford GT: Great car as well that you can not go wrong with. Repair is a Ford and the ownership is selective as well as the 430. This is also a car that you will not see very often just like the 430 but it cost you about $100K less. Driving one of these also is amazing but it is still an american car.

Hope this helps

Good luck with your choice!!

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Go with the GT. Remember I was just telling you about my buddy with the GT? We just went out for a cruise in it since its about 75 degrees here, just though I mention that for all the snakes that hibernate. Anyway, he just spanked a new 430!! Not by much but he still won. The F car sure sounds good though. Both nice cars but did someone say "change the pulley on the GT" for more boost. Either car is going to put a smile on your face.
:nana:

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say drive both first. I love the GT, but Ferrari's drive pretty well. Good luck with the purchase and sorry to see the GTS go.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned several Ferraris including a 512bbi. The experience and sound is awesome with the engine wailing behind you. My 12 cylinder revved like a dirt track car.
The Ferrari club has alot of good events and in particular they have many track events at tracks like Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Pocono, Moroso on the east coast, and very reasonable (125 to 350$ for weekend). Also many get togethers like "concours" events at place like West Point Military academy. Alot of nice people and several not so nice. They can be very sticky about their rules. Parts are available for the do it yourselfer but you would be covered by warranty. Sell the car before the dreaded "timing belt change" which costs anywhere up to 10,000$ I had insurance through State farm for about 1100$ per year in upstate NY. If you buy one make sure you go to the Pocono event the high bank will make you wet your pants (especially in a 20 yr old 512 with 1983 state of the art brakes at 168mph.)
Big downfall is the cost of maintenance after warranty, lack of aftermarket performance upgrades, and the rapid fall in value the moment they bring out the next model. Spiders hold their value far better than the coupes.

Only know whatI read about the GT but judging from the popularity of US muscle and limited supply I would think they would hold their resale very nicely.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jon,
You know my thoughts, GT hands down. Awesome American made supercar :2tu: :2tu:

Of course you'll need another Viper as a daily driver :D :D

starcity

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advice, DON'T BUY A FORD! It will Fixed Or Repaired Daily. Personally, I will NEVER buy another Ford again whether it's a $2000 Ford or a $200,000 Ford....it's still a damn FORD.

I even spoke with some owners of Ford GT's at the Palo Concours D'Elegance show last year in Palo Alto, CA where the Viper Club hosted the "2005 Drive". They sounded pretty shameful and acknowledged their inherent problems stating they have many issues that needed to be sorted out...not suprised!

Save yourself some major headaches and consider something else. Good luck!

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you can get a GT I would go that route, the fF430 is nice, but maintenancs costs can really dip into the "mod" fund. I say go for broke and find yourself a mint 1972 lime green ford pinto...and then of course change your screen name.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sooner or later you will want another ACR. If you wait too long, it may be a challenge to find a nice, clean one.

Given your 2 choices, if money is not an issue, it's obvious, you buy the Ferrari. If money is an issue, you buy the GT, it's a nice substitute, but it's not a Ferrari.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the GT! with the money difference (100K) you can probly buy a viper to go with the GT! good luck with your choice :2tu:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford GT. Since i purchased mine the Vipers sit.
in my opinion lots of fun, no problems as stated by starcity.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, people have VERY different opinions, and we are talking about just 2 cars ;-)

Recap/Answers to posts:

1. I am pretty sure at a min I could get a GT for sticker, I see no problem with that. But the 2006 Tungsten Grey with stripes stickers at 166k, and I heard some people are starting to get the 05s for less then sticker.
2. I love the modability of the GT, and if you know me in viper club, you know I leave nothing stock. So I agree on the mod part. (Russ)
3. Devildog, insterestingly enough, you nailed of course the exact color combo I am looking for in the GT !!
4. GTS Bruce, loved my viper, but if I was to have one, I would have NEVER given up mine, mine was the ultimate 100% warranty Viper. With the good pistons and cam, and ABS !! and ACR !! Nope, I let it go knowing I wouldnt go back to Gen 2, because if I was, I would never let that one go. And for Ferrari, only interested in F430, nothing else, including legacy machines.
5. Mopar Man... that hurt my feelings, I cant use my screen name any more ?? :-(
6. v10speedluvr, you are talking to #1 ford hater, but come on, even I have to give credit where credit is do. I will be a complete snob and still smoke stangs (and camaros) with my FORD, if I get the GT. I will still hate ford, but love my GT.
7. 355 and 93cobra, thanks for the insight !!
8. Gerald, you do know the world isnt flat right? And the Sun does NOT infact revolve around the earth? Sorry love Vipers (my Dad still owns the one I gave him), but I know when we are bettered, and right now we are (in my book).
9. 99 rt/10, hey mike im with ya brotha.
10. Hey Andrew, I like the new look of the coupe, but if I come back to vipers, its gonna be the "super secret, high power, vette and GT killer" supposedly coming out in 2 or so years.
11. Eric H. I agree with you, I think the maint costs are going to blow on the Ferrari, anyone know if they have an extended warranty option? I know the Ford GT DOES NOT ! (which means im going to mod that **** in a very short time period)
12.Inferno, I kinda agree with ya, money is "not an object" for me when it comes to cars, but also I dont want to spend it foolishly. Something else, I have always loved Lamborghini's over Ferrari's and to me the Lambo is the better name, but admidetly that was based on the 80's growing up as a kid. Gallardos arent for me, and I have to try to act a little sane with blowing 300k on a Murc. So the Ferrari name itself is NOT whats getting me, its that it genuinly looks and performs like an awesome machine.
13. Thanks for the feedback FrankBarba, I see you are on fordgtforum.com ;-)
14. I am really starting to lean towards the GT, because its american, I loved my Dodge Viper, and yes I love to really work my cars, so if the Ferrari is prone to breaking from hotlapping it at the drag strip, or Autocrossing the piss outta it, or agressive street driving and road course racing, its probalby not the perfect fit for the life I have planned ahead for it.

Thanks guys, great feedback from most, hell and no even got into a fight !!

Jon

Hoodoo Man

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I currently have a 1998 RT/10 which I plan to keep. I've been looking to add another stable mate and I too have narrowed the choice to Ford GT vs. F430. Tough decision. I think I'm leaning toward the GT because of the ease of horsepower increases. Don't like the thought of buying an expensive car that will be easily smoked by others due to difficulty and expense of horsepower increases. Good luck in your quest.

Larry

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with any decision you make, I know you will not be upset with either choice. However, the F430 is a slower car, and I have seen Mustangs beat on those ferraris. The GT would be the way to go if you are looking for something that would easily embarass 99% of the cars on the road for a relatively low cost. Good luck.

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon - Got to meet Mike today. He stayed the night at the hotel I work at. Got to have dinner with him and drive his new ACR!!! We swapped keys and went cruising! We had a great time meeting and sharing car stories!

Sent you an email as well. Great Viper for a Great Guy!

Jason