My Aeromotive Fuel Pump just went out. Need options...

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well today my aeromotive fuel pump just went out. :crazy2: I really really really do not want to have to go the three walbros in the tank option and have to take the tank out to install them. Heard its a pain in the butt on a RT/10. So, is there another inline fuel pump that can handle 800rwhp that will work and not over heat like this one did? Would be nice to find one that will be a direct replacement of the one I have now.

Let's hear it!! :headbang:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know too many people having any luck with that pump. i think guy castro (grcforce327 on the VA site) has another option for ya though

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will check that out phil. If I have to I will do the walbros but I'm going to make sure first.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do end up going back to the Aeromotive, I would suggest getting a fuel pump controler. It'll control the voltage to the pump so it doesn't overheat at low RPMS.

INKYviperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my '97 GTS. The motor was built by Arrow and is ROE supercharged. I started running out of gas earlier and earlier. It was the Aeromotive A1000 pump failing. The 100 micron filter between the pump and the engine was full of aluminum debris. I didn't want the expense and hassle of re-engineering my entire fuel system so I installed Aeromotive P/N 16306 Fuel Pump Controller which required a tach signal so I installer a MSD Tach Driver P/N 8913. In theory it should work but I have less than 1000 miles on the fix. The original Aeromotive pump lasted about 4000 miles but actulaay started causing problems much earlier ( acting like you're running out of gas with with the gage indicating there is gas left). The failure was not linear, it was exponential. Initially I tried to keep the tank full but finally I couldn't go anywhere. I also installed a fuel pressure gage and at WOT the pressure dropped fast. I'm lucky I didn't hurt the motor. For the moment everything seems to be fine with the fix, but time will tell.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a Weldon and have no problems. The in tank is really the best solution as it pushes rather than pulls fuel.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am taking my Aeromotive out soon because of HP changes... It always worked good for me without overheating. Where do you have it located?

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worry that the voltage regulator might decide not to work and would lean out my engine.

Jim, thanks for the part numbers. I'll take a look at it and see what I can figure out.

Will call you this morning Doug.

GTSnake - do you know the part number for that weldon pump?

I have it located right next to the drive shaft. So all of the hot air coming from the engine is going right by it. I'm thinking if I go back with the inline fuel pump that I'll modify the trans cover so I can route some cool air to it. Should not be to hard.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is your connection from the pump to the tank?
I have (2) A-1000s from my TT, and so far so good. No Voltage regualtor. I got a filter between the pump and the tank, that is it.

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you have to have the voltage regulator if you want it to survive regular street use.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The larger Aeromotive (eliminator?) and larger Weldon pumps (2015, 2025, 2345, etc...) need the controller to "step down" voltage at cruise RPMs... but the A1000 is supposed to be fine at continuous duty. Weldon has a fairly new inline pump that would be a good replacement for the A1000. Weldon's is called the 1100A. It's inline, rated for continuous duty, and of course, has the quality of Weldon. I have a good hook up for the 1100A if you're interested. PM me.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSnake - do you know the part number for that weldon pump?

I have the 2025. I would stay away from Aeromotive. I went through that route before I arrived at the Weldon. IMO the Aeromotive is for ricers and posers. Real racers go with a Weldon.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well guys I call up aeromotive and talked to their tech guys this mornng. Decided to try the a1000 again from them. Also bought the 10 micro filter as I think I have the 100 micro stainless steel filter before and after the pump which might have been the cause of some of the problems I was having with the vapor lock. I'm also going to take some time and figure out a way to get cool air to the pump so it does not over heat. If this does not work then I will just install the walbros in the tan and keep thos aero as a back up.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now no controller. Just installed the new a1000 pump and removed the filter which was a 100 micro ss that was before the pump off. Then the filter that was after the pump I changed out the 100 micro ss to a 10 micro paper filter. Started it up and runs great!! Have not had a chance to drive it hard in the moutains yet but will do it soon.

Gtsnake, I was going to buy that fromjegs but it is no longer available. Found some on amazon. How long is yours?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21