My dreams of owning a Viper... Crushed today with a 20 min test-drive!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to check back in since the last time I was here this thread had only like 2 pages. Now it looks like we got C5 and Z-06ers in ******* contests here in our backyard. This is a riot! ROTFLOL!!!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's time for somebody to say it...if ya got a stock Z06 that runs in the 10.0's...well, frankly we don't believe it! Please instead of posting videos, I mean how the heck do we know it's YOUR car and if it IS stock or an LPE car or some OTHER alien, PLEASE, PLEASE post your time slips, that has always seemed to be the proper way to document your time. That's the way we have always done it here. Having said that How easy would it be to photoshop a timeslip....sigh. Can a GREAT driver in a stock Z06 beat a stock Viper on a given day.....YES. Can a STOCK Z06 run in the 10.0's...NEVER....and to my knowledge no stock Viper has either.

kh24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody said they were stock cars in the 10s....JRod and I were saying that a vette with a heads and cam package plus normal bolt ons(headers airbox,gears, exhaust) can run mid 10s with a stock bottom end 346 NA. I know you guys with your 488s may not like hearing that but it will just be sweeter for me when I run into you on the street. I am inviting any NJ/NY/PA viper owner to come to Atco on December 19th to verify for themselves that indeed these mid 10 second NA 346 cars do exist.

kh24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok well to answer your question...yes 463rwhp will run those numbers. Keep in mind the gearing helps and we do weigh less, also DA is a factor but I can run in the 10s pretty much no matter how hot it is outside. Go check out my vid if you dont believe me. You can cleary see its a 10.69...sure you can't verify what I have done to my car from that but I have no problem with any of you guys coming out to check out my setup. Always have tons of respect for you guys. Keep in mind a lot of us guys could be driving vipers too if we wanted to but we just have different tastes. I wouldnt mind one but only in addition to my vette.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kh24 says......

I am inviting any NJ/NY/PA viper owner to come to Atco on December 19th to verify for themselves that indeed these mid 10 second NA 346 cars do exist.

Well there tough guy I would like to take you on right now however my badboy is down at DLM for some winter mods but tell you what, keep that thought and comeback in the spring and we'll see about that...

kh24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your welcome to still come out if you would like. We are having a private track rental that day for a final test and tune for the season. If you cant make it, I would be more than happy to meet up in the spring time with you guys.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enough about Vettes!! Everyone has one and everyone wants to come here and talk about them!! :rolleyes:

Maybe we should add another section to our board here:--CORVETTE B.S.--
With the first Post--How I ran 10 sec 1/4, at 109mph, w/skinnies on the rear! :eek:

OP
OP
C

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I know that... but post I was refering too said vette owners are old foggies and won't even look over b/c they're too scared.

Yeah everyone has vettes. Everyone in this country is rich enough to drop $40k on a car. Just becuase you guys can afford vipers doesn't mean that a vette is a cheap car. 2 billion people on this planet live in shacks... literaly

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I know that... but post I was refering too said vette owners are old foggies and won't even look over b/c they're too scared.

Yeah everyone has vettes. Everyone in this country is rich enough to drop $40k on a car. Just becuase you guys can afford vipers doesn't mean that a vette is a cheap car. 2 billion people on this planet live in shacks... literaly

Not too scared. They want to look because the viper is neat looking but doing so would admit that they were checking out your car, possibly in envy. It's a stupid guy thing.

Most of us had vettes before the Viper. I had a 01 C5. The car was awesome. Magnetic red HU display. If I did not have the Viper I would have a ZO6. That cool electron blue one.

I cant keep up with GM though. Every time you drop 40 grand on a corvette, GM comes out with a better/faster corvette. They really burn their customers. It's frusterating. I knew if I got a viper, the next time it changed, it would be drastic. And it was. I also held the same point of view about the viper as most vette owners do.

Its all in good fun.

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think a vette is an inexpensive car - cheap yes - but not inexpensive. Anything over $40K is a lot for a car. That's not the point.

A couple of years ago I dreamed of owning a vette. Triple black convertible. Of course you can't get the 06 in a convertible so I'd have to accept the fact that 350hp was all I was going to get.

I started having several conversations with women about "getting a vette." I had nothing but negative comments - something about "guys with vettes are d$#% heads" I believe to quote a few ladies. We never really decided if the guy was that way to start or that he became a D'head after he got the vette. Either way all the ladies said the guy with a vette ends up a D'head (Chicken and the egg concept I suppose?)

That's when I started dreaming about the "real" American sports car. The Viper. It's the "pure, muscle, all American, I don't have to settle for less car."

I definitely made the right choice, but the Viper is not about money. Anybody that really takes a look can get a Viper in the $50K range, less than the 50th aniversary vette models I saw at the dealers.

It's about power, REAL looks, style, and perception. Vettes are common - every Tom, Dick, and Harry has a vette. Just go to Huffines in Dallas - they've got like 80 of them right on the lot - it's almost funny see something that "common."

With that being said, however, I'd never compare a Viper and Vette. That's like comparing a Pinto to a Pick up truck - two different animals for two different purposes.

If you're disappointed in the Viper because it didn't work like a vette - you're right!!! It doesn't, didn't, and won't. That's why I LOVE my viper.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started having several conversations with women about "getting a vette." I had nothing but negative comments - something about "guys with vettes are d$#% heads" I believe to quote a few ladies. We never really decided if the guy was that way to start or that he became a D'head after he got the vette. Either way all the ladies said the guy with a vette ends up a D'head (Chicken and the egg concept I suppose?)

That's when I started dreaming about the "real" American sports car. The Viper. It's the "pure, muscle, all American, I don't have to settle for less car."

It's about power, REAL looks, style, and perception. Vettes are common - every Tom, Dick, and Harry has a vette. Just go to Huffines in Dallas - they've got like 80 of them right on the lot - it's almost funny see something that "common."

If you're disappointed in the Viper because it didn't work like a vette - you're right!!! It doesn't, didn't, and won't. That's why I LOVE my viper.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :headbang: :usa:

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think a vette is an inexpensive car - cheap yes - but not inexpensive. Anything over $40K is a lot for a car. That's not the point.

A couple of years ago I dreamed of owning a vette. Triple black convertible. Of course you can't get the 06 in a convertible so I'd have to accept the fact that 350hp was all I was going to get.

I definitely made the right choice, but the Viper is not about money. Anybody that really takes a look can get a Viper in the $50K range, less than the 50th aniversary vette models I saw at the dealers.

With that being said, however, I'd never compare a Viper and Vette. That's like comparing a Pinto to a Pick up truck - two different animals for two different purposes.

Amen brother!!! :2tu:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
COBRA DUDE: "I'll look at ya! Then I'll rev her up to 3k and wait for the light to turn =)"

Hey Quarterhorsey, You forgot to mention....

"wait for the light to turn RIGHT".... Thats where you will be going if you ever get a VIper next at trafic lights! Hah, Haa!!!

You are just like to local ricers here, full of it!

Ianfl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well i had a similar experience.......but the result was reversed:)
I had a 20 min Viper ride and loved EVERY minute, and would gladly swap my Z06 for one.....and will do someday:)

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well i had a similar experience.......but the result was reversed:)
I had a 20 min Viper ride and loved EVERY minute, and would gladly swap my Z06 for one.....and will do someday:)

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :headbang: :headbang: :usa: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :D

ASASN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all comes down to each of our individual likes and dislikes with whatever we buy.....right!

I had a 99 GTS, Silver, my wife said probably the prettiest car we've ever owned, but after spending some time in the car, it just wasn't for me! The car with a few bolt-ons pulled 434.8rh & 486.7rt!!
When I went to get the car, it blew me away when i first saw it, but then after a 600 mile trip getting it home, I was never so happy to be out of a car! I PERSONALLY just wasn't that comfortable in the car or it's characteristics on the road!

I like the Viper cats they say, us "poor" Corvette owners look the otherway or try to avoid looking at the Viper as it comes down the road our way.....I won't look away!
I'll be more than happy to give you a nod and a wave, queston is.....would you guys do the same??

Stock to stock...a Viper should be quicker than a Z06....with all of it's 488ci's under the hood, but in the real world, it's closer than paople like to admitt!
Personally, I'd just like to see a Viper leave the factory pulling at least ONE horsepower per cubic inch....old or new!!

Maybe, the guy shouldn't have come over with his impressions or opinions, but damn, give him a break! He stated he wanted a Viper, maybe a second car, a second drive would change his mind! Just remember ALL cars have their short-comings.....even the "ALL MIGHTY" Viper!

Just another Vette owner, with his own opinion of the "All MIGHTY"!!

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fortunately you are correct, Viper's aren't for everyone. That's why they have menus at restaurants. Not everyone has what it takes to handle a car like the viper. Some people prefer ricers, mustangs and vettes. A few people (very rare) have stepped up to the viper only to have to go back to something else they can either afford or handle, performance wise. Having the best all around performance in a car has it's price. The viper has the best road handling ability of any car made in the U.S (highest skidpad, slalom) and is the fastest car as well (1/4 and 1 mile). You can't get this kind of performance in a compromise car like the vette. People looking for a comfortable 600 mile trip car should get a cadillac or lexus, not a viper. (although I have driven mine 400 miles in one trip and I was wishing it was a longer trip as it was awesome!).

ASASN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cratica......I'm glad your Viper fits you well and you're happy with it, that's all that matters!

I don't get it, why must you think if someone doesn't prefer the Viper, either can't afford it or can't handle it! Personally, I didn't see selling my car and buying something else a step backwards....it was a educated CHOICE!!
In my case, I can afford a Viper and can handle one quite fine....it ain't all that impressive! For you, this may be the only car on the planet worthy of your skills, I guess I'm just more well-rounded.....you know, a car enthusiast!

You like what you like and that's great, hell if the trip you took was so great and you wished it were longer, you should've just gone another 100 miles, turned around, then came back to your original destination!!

Look, I've got friends with Vipers, they love their cars......but, the also respect my opinion of why the car wasn't for me!! Trust me , there is no compromise with my choice of Vette or Viper, as I said, it was an eductated decision!
I've been behind the wheel, as well as shotgun, in the first LPE 542 Viper built, it's about 60 miles away from me and a good friend owns it! I respect the ability of the car and the enjoy the passion that my friend has for it, but again, overall, it wasn't for me!

I show no disrespect for the Viper, why must you disrespect the Corvette!

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my mom would rather have her toyota than a viper,
my wife would rather have her intrepid than a viper.
You would rather have a vette than a viper.

I respect and understand their decision and I respect yours!

If the Viper isn't all that impressive to you, then the vette must be quite the docile little car! You clearly weren't looking for the best performance vehicle made, but then again, neither are my wife or my mother which is why the viper isn't for them or for you.

I never disrespected the vette, owned them, like them for what they are but they are what they are, a good compromise car for good performance and good drivability but not the ultimate car in either way which is why they are known as a compromise car. The viper is NOT! What the vette does overachieve in is the ability to take joeschmo or janevane and make them a super hero in driving ability. Nearly anyone can hop into one and feel like they are turning fast times at a track. For that, it is a very nice car. Turn all the computers off however and few would like the car for it's "performance". Heck, I like corvettes as I said, I'm even out to look at one later today. I need a better ****** than my miata. (more power). But.... the corvette can never take place of the viper, because... well, it's just a corvette. (poorer handling, less powerful, styling is not inspiring, etc) No disrespect there, just brutal honest truth. Do you like it when the cobra or ricer guys say their car is faster or handle better than your vette? No, and you probably don't disrespect them either when you say it's not true. You are just stating the truth, correct?
So am I.

Every car has their place in history.

ASASN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mom, your mom.....my wife, your wife.....see folks, good clean fun for the whole family! And we agree, everyone has their own personal preferences....great!

Your right, I wasn't looking for the "best performance vehicle made".....I was looking for a total package! Hey if late 60's, early 70's technology, wrapped in modern day styling is for you, then that's great!

I'm still not understanding where the "compromise", as you keep saying, is with the Corvette! You act like the Viper is leaps and bounds above the Corvette, it just ain't so! I'm talking real world, not what you read in a magazine! Example..I was at the Viper Gathering in Bowling Green this year, they had a couple of new SRT's at the track and the cars respectfully where running 12.30's/12.40's!! I've been at Beech Bend during the C5/ZR1 Gatherings and have seen Z06's run the same times!
The Vettes do have computers, active handling, cruise control, cup holder, A/C that works, decent stereo, etc!! Yes, Joe and Jane could probably do pretty well in the car, they should, why.....it's called TECHNOLOGY! You know, moving forward, advancement, an all round, great performance vehicle!
You said..."the Corvette can never take the place of the Viper...well, it's just a Corvette!"....I hope you're speaking just for personal preference! There were 39 years of Corvette production before the Viper was even a reality! Then, when Dodge decided to enter the TRUE sports car market and offer it too the world, it didn't even have a top or windows....just a kit car, with a truck engine.....just "brutal" honesty!! After what, 12 years of production, just how far has the Viper actually come...really!!
The Corvettes' handling, as poor as it is.....must be just as poor as the Vipers....cause there's not that great of difference in the real world!
The Corvette is less powerful.....under the hood, but just as quick as a Viper in the real world..not magazines!!
The Corvette styling....well, I give you that...at least the GTS!!

I agree, every car does have it's place in history, but where will the Viper fall when that day comes! I guess we'll see....if the Viper stays around another.....40 years!!
The Corvettes' history.established, it's weathered the best of times and the worst of times, it has it's short comings....BUT, ya know what....it's been around a heck of alot longer than the Viper! It was setting standards long before "Viper" was even a concept!
Fifty plus years and still going strong...
------------------------------------------------------------

BTW.....on an ENTIRELY different note....I see you're from Austin! You a Longhorn fan? I am......got a UT game helment sitting on my desk right in front of me!! Waiting to see where they end up this afternoon!!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cratica, just give up. He just doesn't get it. It's the old saying, "if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".
The reason most of us love the viper is because of the raw-bruteiness (how ya like that word?). race car format, even the viper is evolving from that with abs and the rest of the creature comforts,,, (yuppie cush-mobile). They even tried to make the newest viper look like a vette. (IMHO)
You just don't get it.......

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I see where you are coming from.

Fantasy world.

So, because I've seen z06's run 12.9's at the track and I've seen cobras run 12.5's, that makes the cobra faster than the Z's. Period. End of story. My mind is closed. No amount of testing by reputable comparisons, no amount of information that suggests otherwise will be entered into my head, because that's what I want to believe.

See how utterly ridiculous your argument (and many other vette guys) argument is?

Road handling ability ond skidpad's do not compare. Viper is far better.

Justin Bell compared the viper to the z06 and he (even though he runs a vette driving school and raced both cars in the past)proved the viper to be a FASTER car on the track in THE REAL WORLD.

To say the vette is as quick or handles as well as the viper in the real world is just an indication of "believing what you want" despite the truth, despite the facts.

To say the Viper is a kit car and uses a truck engine, well shows you know very little about the King of the road indeed.

I suggest you do a little real research instead of believing what is typed by 10-12 years over on your favorite vette forum.

No, I'm not a longhorn fan. (but I do think Mac Brown is a terrific guy).

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra4B - I live near you, and there are several active VCA members in the area.

Contact me and we'll take you for rides (and perhaps let you drive) in a couple of our cars. There are plenty of current and former 'Vette owners who are VCA members, including some of the Va Beach guys.

Leave a post on this board or PM me and we'll get together. There are plenty of tall people who own Vipers.

George

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4