My GTS Hit by Tractor Trailer An Hour Ago!!!!

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
I was driving through Virginia at 12:30am just before the Woodrow Wilson Bridge where they were doing construction work and 4 lanes narrowed down to 2 lanes. Im sitting in traffic and i look in the rearview mirror and see alot of lights headed at me w/o slowing down, i leave about 2 car lengths ahead of me at all times and im always checking the rear view mirror for vehicles that dont know how to stop. Sure enough, he isn't stopping, so i step on the gas and go as far as i can and he runs into the back of me not once, not twice, but three f'n times to make sure he got me good!

At this time im literally fuming and smoke was pouring from my ears. I pull over to the side of the road ahead where it was clear and get out of the car and go over to the truck, i climb up the door and before i could scream at him, he is repeating continuously "Im Sorry, Im Sorry i did'nt see you!" I told him "Sir, before i get any more pissed, i need all of your information and nothing more, he gives it to me and i get in the car, regroup, and i have to sit on the side of the road for about 10 minutes to make sure that i dont kill anyone!

All in all, the bumper has some minor scratches on it and the Dodge lettering on the left side took most of the damage. Im sure that wet/sanding and buffing will probably not do the trick and the cover will have to be repaired and re-painted, but it's the simple fact that this A*%hole didn't look where he was going!

Thanks for listening to my Rant, this goes along nicely with my windshield replacement war story on the car that is yet to be resolved by Diamond Auto Glass! (NEVER USE THEM)

I will be at the body shop first thing in the morning and keep you guys posted as to the damages! I have already called the drivers company and left a nice message for the owner while he pours his first cup of coffee realizing that one of his guys just hit a Dodge Viper GTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch! :(
At least you are OK. He could have driven right over you if he wasn't paying attention enough to see your bright red Viper!
I feel your pain, but at least the car can get fixed so that you will never know what happened by looking at it.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, First, I'm glad that you are o.k. I'm local, so you should have called me so we both could have kicked his A**! At least your car isn't totalled like I thought it would have been. I still want to see the beast with the carbon fiber stripes finished! What Autobody shop are you going to use? Take care and Good Luck!

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, i am okay and that is most important. I am heading over to the bodyshop in about an hour and will have an estimate. Hopefully i can get away with a new bumper cover and that will be all that is needed. We will see what happens. :crossingfingers:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Often these tractor trailer guys are sleep deprived and are a real menace to traffic. Glad you survived, it could have been a whole lot worse! :confused:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get new everything. Even if there is just a scratch. It is fiberglass and you don't know how far the spider cracks go underneath the paint.

Also get an alignment.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. The main issue is that it coulda been a whole lot worse! Glad YOU'RE okay. In the mean time, change your username from 1meansnake to

1MeanGuy! LOL!!

Jay K.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These truck drivers nod off and **** happens. On my way to Putnam Park weekend before last (I was trailering my car), I drive 8 hours only to come to a dead stop 20 miles from the track on the interstate. Turns out a tractor trailer plowed into a pickup truck (which evidently was slowing due to traffic) killing the two women in that vehicle. It then hits an RV which explodes and kills those people. I sat at a standstill for 90 min. before reaching the next exit and rerouting.
Normally I'd need maalox but realizing that it could have been me (my wife and daughter were with me) made it tolerable.
All considered, it could have been worse for you.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get new everything. Even if there is just a scratch. It is fiberglass and you don't know how far the spider cracks go underneath the paint.

Also get an alignment.

DITTO! Glad to see you are okay. From what you described, could have been a lot worse.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Man! I feel for you! Geesh! What was the guy doing?? Playing with the radio? Well it sounds like minor damage, but what is minor on your pride and joy? Nothing! It's all major!

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That ***** because no matter how well the car is fixed, ou know the car has been hit.

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noooooooo! That's the first Viper I have ever been in, and it got beat up. Man oh man, sorry to hear it. It's good it isnt much worse. Which body shop are you going too. maybe i know them?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How would you feel if you bought a wrecked viper and the car salesman lied to you...then you find out later when if was on a lift...made my gut turn over! Then I went postal and sued! Never went to court....but the dealer settled after I did all the investagation and the lazy lawyer did nothing. I did end up getting a good chunk back, but ended up selling for what I paid for it with all being disclosed to the new owner.

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would you feel if you bought a wrecked viper and the car salesman lied to you...then you find out later when if was on a lift...made my gut turn over! Then I went postal and sued! Never went to court....but the dealer settled after I did all the investagation and the lazy lawyer did nothing. I did end up getting a good chunk back, but ended up selling for what I paid for it with all being disclosed to the new owner.

That has and alway will be my biggest fear when buying a car.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A TT truck hits you and you're NOT telling us the car is TOTALED (and you're not laid up in the hospital)...........I think you're VERY LUCKY!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If he didn't see you, he probably would have creamed the rear end of the Viper, at least. The fact that a 60,000# semi just gave what amounts to a love tap (three love taps) seems to point to the possibility that it was intentional. Maybe he doesn't like people with nicer toys, or maybe he thought your cautious following distance was an invitation to f- with you.

Think about it- 60,000 pounds, three taps, but just ends up with a bumper scratch. Well, maybe it was a bona-fide miracle, thank God you're alive!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am happy you are OK. Buff those scratches off the Carbon fibre stripes and things could have been a whole lot worse. I saw once a truck coming about 80mph in my mirrow and I was stopped in traffic.. Luckily he sweered about 2" right off my bumper.
Trucks can do some serious damage to your car and you.

Main thing is that you are OK.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it could have been worse? All you have is some scrathces? Glad you are OK though.

I feel your pain!

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good news! I faxed the estimate to the owner of the trucking company and two hours later he faxed back a copy of the check made out to me and a copy of the stamped envelope for it to go out today!!!! There was no significant damage except for the scratches to the bumper and damaged emblems and stripes. I will have it fixed and like new in no time :) Thank you for your sympathy and encouragement everyone!

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good news! I faxed the estimate to the owner of the trucking company and two hours later he faxed back a copy of the check made out to me and a copy of the stamped envelope for it to go out today!!!! There was no significant damage except for the scratches to the bumper and damaged emblems and stripes. I will have it fixed and like new in no time :) Thank you for your sympathy and encouragement everyone!
Good deal!! He probably sent it quickly before you came up with a mysterious neck injury!! :D

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good deal!! He probably sent it quickly before you came up with a mysterious neck injury!! :D

That is the only thing i can think of as to why they got it out so fast!!!! Just glad it's gonna be like new again :)