My GTS is losing a charge...

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so does anyone have any ideas on my situation. I own a 1996 GTS with exactly 14,555miles....

Just got a brand new interstate battery back on like the very end of September. I drove my car for a couple months after that and everything was completely fine up until I garaged it for the winter. However, I actually didn't start the car for about a month and when I went out to do it in my garage, the car was dead.

Now after this I went out and charged it in my garage and after it was done charging I started it up and let it run for about 15-20 minutes. I let about 5-7 days pass and then started it up again to run for about 15-20 minutes and did that for a couple weeks and it started everytime fine.

I decided to wait about 12-15 days the next time I went out to start it and when I went out in my garage to do so it was dead again. For some reason my car isn't holding a charge at all.... I'm not sure if the battery is dieing because the alarm system is on since I have my car locked? Is that what could be taking away from the battery since my car is parked with the alarm system being on for lengthy periods?

I also have an aftermarket stereo system and radar hardwired in my car, but the car isn't on so I can't imagine that affecting the battery either? :confused:

Anyways, my friend Martin has a 2000 Viper GTS, and he said his battery is about 4 years old and he didn't start his in months, but when he did it fired right up. I own a 1996 as I said before, could it have something to do with an older model GTS? Has anybody else had this problem that I'm having before? I honestly have no idea, so any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

-Anthony

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers will **** the life out of a battery unless you put a battery tender on them. If you are storing the car you should turn OFF everything that can be turned on and put a battery tender on the car. Its some of the best money you will ever spen on the car.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's cold in MA...I live in PA & if i did not place battery tenders on my cars, they would not start either. Spend $ 50 & get a Tender...

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers will **** the life out of a battery unless you put a battery tender on them. If you are storing the car you should turn OFF everything that can be turned on and put a battery tender on the car. Its some of the best money you will ever spen on the car.
Well said and true especially the Gen 2. Buy a battery tender and connect it every time you get back if car is not to be driven for a few days or more. Interstate batteries are terrible too. Go with the auto zone unit, sears gold or platinum series batteries.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an optima yellow top. Turn off the alarm if its inside. If that little led in the door stays lit you have a power drain somewhere. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an optima yellow top. Turn off the alarm if its inside. If that little led in the door stays lit you have a power drain somewhere. GTS Bruce

Bruce, the little LED on the doors are on when it's unlocked... usually when you have the car locked, they turn off i believe.... so if the car is unlocked, those LED's are supposed to eventually turn off?

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of our local members has a 96 also and he has the same problem you have but I've let mine sit for a couple of weeks and here recently I let it sit for 6 weeks while I did some upgrades and it started right up. :drive: I've got a Mopar battery...

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so does anyone have any ideas on my situation. I own a 1996 GTS with exactly 14,555miles....

Just got a brand new interstate battery back on like the very end of September. I drove my car for a couple months after that and everything was completely fine up until I garaged it for the winter. However, I actually didn't start the car for about a month and when I went out to do it in my garage, the car was dead.

Now after this I went out and charged it in my garage and after it was done charging I started it up and let it run for about 15-20 minutes. I let about 5-7 days pass and then started it up again to run for about 15-20 minutes and did that for a couple weeks and it started everytime fine.

I decided to wait about 12-15 days the next time I went out to start it and when I went out in my garage to do so it was dead again. For some reason my car isn't holding a charge at all.... I'm not sure if the battery is dieing because the alarm system is on since I have my car locked? Is that what could be taking away from the battery since my car is parked with the alarm system being on for lengthy periods?

I also have an aftermarket stereo system and radar hardwired in my car, but the car isn't on so I can't imagine that affecting the battery either? :confused:

Anyways, my friend Martin has a 2000 Viper GTS, and he said his battery is about 4 years old and he didn't start his in months, but when he did it fired right up. I own a 1996 as I said before, could it have something to do with an older model GTS? Has anybody else had this problem that I'm having before? I honestly have no idea, so any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

-Anthony

Mine does the same thing if I forget to turn off the Radar detector. it's hardwired but on all the time if not shut off. OHHH now I also use a battery tender, $40.00, when I know it won't be used for a few weeks. No mor problem.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having the same problem as well. Never used to happen before but now after a 1/2 hour the car will not start back up. I purchased the battery tender and will see what happens.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Anthony

Anthony,
It is a common problem with the 96 GTS, you need the battery tender, 96's seem to drain more quickly than others.
Its normal.

trojewski

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony: I agree with previous couple of posts. I had the same problem with my '96 until I got a Battery Tender....no more problems.

If you do not disconnect the terminal during even brief periods of storage (my limit was 14 days), the thing will run the battery down to nothing!

I've got a double Tender now. One of the best additions to the garage ever.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You'll also note that if you leave the car unlocked with the alarm un-armed... it draws nearly a 1/4 amp... The current should be below 20-30mA when parked and locked.

If the alarm isn't completely setting from a bad door switch or something... say if you see three blips instead of the good slow flash, it isn't really armed and it will be consuming power.

Keep in mind that running the car for 15 minutes at a time will not keep the battery topped off, it will barely break the surface charge, and slowly you are reducing the stored energy. That is why the battery tenders work... they charge very slowly, but keep the cells topped off.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Anthony
dont let ur car idle and think the battery is chargeing,it can and will discharge at a idle.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disconnect the terminals when you store it or get a new batt. every year or two.......

you need a new batt. to fix your current issue.

You didn't read my post.... I said I just got my battery at the very end of September, I do not need a new battery.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually have a battery charger in my garage that I've already been using on my car that has a trickle charger on it. I just haven't left it hooked to my car for long periods. I was just charging it for about 6 hours at a time and then taking it off and then starting the car up myself letting it run for about 15-20minutes. Is what I have similar to a battery tender?

Battery tenders are great, so simple PythonPete can do it.
I have both my cars hooked up, no more worries about going over two weeks without a ride.
Got them on Amazon Amazon.com: Deltran SuperSmart Battery Tender Plus 12-Volt 1.25 AMP Battery Charger: Automotive

Best $40.00 ever spent.

This does seem like a good one though, I will probably buy it.

Thanks! :)

trojewski

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same (trickle charger) for a couple of years, went through 5 or 6 batteries. It doesn't work. I don't pretend to understand all the theory behind the Battery Tender, but I can tell you... for sure... it keeps the battery in better condition than the other chargers over long periods of time.

OBTW, you probably DO need a new battery already!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, at idle your battery is not charging. The alternator doesn't kick in until like 1500 or 1800 rpm. So every time you start it you're draining the battery.

The charger will boil the battery (overcharge) if you leave it on too long. Therefore ruining the battery. The trickle charger won't charge a dead battery but will "maintain" the charge in a good battery.

I would get a new battery and a trickle charger. Your problems should be solved then. If not then you've got a short or drain somewhere.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, at idle your battery is not charging. The alternator doesn't kick in until like 1500 or 1800 rpm. So every time you start it you're draining the battery.

The charger will boil the battery (overcharge) if you leave it on too long. Therefore ruining the battery. The trickle charger won't charge a dead battery but will "maintain" the charge in a good battery.

I would get a new battery and a trickle charger. Your problems should be solved then. If not then you've got a short or drain somewhere.

The battery charger plus does both. You can leave it on indefintely.
Read specs here: Batterytender.com - Home of All Your Charging Needs

TopGear

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 will start throwing -5 volt fault codes if I let it sit 3 weeks
without a battery tender. If I am not driving it I have the battery
tender on. I have a harness tied into the +/- terminals at the
driver's side wheel well. Easy to plug in.

Viper%20-%20Battery%20Tender.JPG

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
costanZo, agree that these are frustrating battles that we have all fought at one time or another.

I do have a couple of observations:

1. Have you ever done the formal Ignition off Draw Down test on your Viper?

2. Battery tenders...specifically the "Deltran Battery Tender Plus" (and its various models) WORK WELL in my situation...have been using them for nearly 10 years...currently have 7 in operation. I ALWAYS put a surge protector on the line, and I alweays physically disconnect the plugs when a storm is coming...aided at night by a ThunderBolt Storm Detector in case a storm tries to sneak up on me! :)

3. Have YOU tested your current battery?? I have certainly seen more than one new battery (regardless of brand) test as "BAD" just after purchase...just a thought.

4. I NEVER start our Vipers in the winter unless I can do a full drive cycle. As noted, "idle" will not recharge your Viper's battery.

This thread hasd some good observations in it, so hopefully you will get your Snake taken care of shortly.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I once had an issue and found it to be the alarm reset switch was not on correctly.

It doesn't draw a steady state of current. It has was "wake up" feature and it hard to see unless you catch it at the right moment. Once I put my switch on correctly my problem went away, permantly.