My Oil Lamp Turned On

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night while driving my car, I noticed that my oil lamp had turned on but the oil pressure gage was reading fine. Also, it did not illuminate the MIL. Afterwards I shut off the engine and restarted back up again with the oil lamp light not illuminating. :confused:
Has this happen to anyone here before? Could it be that the sensor is starting to malfunction?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sensor can malfunction. However, i'd start with the obvious; Manually check your oil level.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 2 circuits in the sensor; one for the gauge and one for the light. One can go bad while the other still works. Does it light briefly during initial key on?

OP
OP
F

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it does light up when key is in on position. I did replace the oil pressure gauge sensor that is by the oil filter housing. This sensor is next to it by on the block.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Just checked my factory service manual, as opposed to the CD version Mitchell manual I was looking at earlier, and there are 2 sending units, not a 2 in 1 as I suggested earlier. So yes, one could be bad for sure while the other works fine. But, you said you replaced the gauge sending unit. Was that process related to the light coming on, because, um, makes no sense to do that. Splain!

OP
OP
F

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the gauge unit did go bad. So, I did replace it and the warning light never came on due to that. The gauge, was the only thing that was not working. In this case now the gauge is working fine and is reading 55 psi at idle. But, the warning lamp is now turning on eventhough the oil gauge is reading good oil pressure.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil pressure sending unit is for the gauge.
Oil pressure switch is for the light. I have found that they will stick from time to time. If you need the switch, I keep a couple of them in stock, MSRP $24.10 less 20% VCA discount. :cool:
914-763-3136

Thanks!

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oil pressure sending unit is for the gauge.
Oil pressure switch is for the light. I have found that they will stick from time to time. If you need the switch, I keep a couple of them in stock, MSRP $24.10 less 20% VCA discount. :cool:
914-763-3136

Thanks!

Where is it andhow easy to swap it? Friends 97GTS has the light come on, but the pressure is good and the oil level is perfect

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are actually three sensors; for the gauge, for the ECU, and the open-close switchfor the idiot light. In Gen 1, they are separate while in Gen 2 I think they are all in the same unit.

dandimand

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car Im working on has same problem where is the sender located for the light ?

OP
OP
F

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960