My Paxton Story....

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I was out today enjoying my Paxton GTS. I have always heard 4th pulls like a mother f***** but man I had no idea. 4th pulls like a freight train. I smile everytime I hit it in 4th.

As I was out driving I passed a big field where 3 kids soccer games were going on. As I drove pass, and this really felt like a car advertise or something, all the kids stops playing and the adults all turned around and watched as I drove pass. I couldnt help but laugh and be pride of the car I was in.

To conclude my day, I was driving on a closed course when two motorcycles pulled up behind me and rode my rear bumper for 10 seconds then both pull beside me and pass me. I drop to 3rd and move behind them. One pulls a wheelie and when he drops the front wheel down, both take off and so do I. Immediately I start to slowly gain on them and I move out a lane to their left and pull right up next to them. At this point I look down and see the RPMs at 6500. I let off the gas and bring it down to 60 or so. I was a little worried to see it hit 6500. I drive to walmart to get something and when I came out I notice coolant on the ground right in front under the bumper (right where the bumper ends and the frame starts I guess). I look under and dont see no drips from underneath. I drive home and park. Come back out in 10 minutes and 1 hour later and still no coolant So Iam thinking maybe the coolant was already there when I pulled into the spot. Didnt notice in difference in the car or the gauges at all.

Well that was my day, very enjoyable. For those considering the paxton, its great. Power seems to come on around 3k and pulls hard to redline plus. Nice whistle sound, drives like stock. I highly recommend. I have never driven a Roe Viper but would love to to ocmpare. I am using stock pulley.

I guess I do have a question, driving the engine to 6500, will this cause damage as Ive heard stories that the valve train and oiling system are poor pass 6k. I have JM ported heads and jesel rockers and comp coupe baffle.

Pretty long so thanks for reading, especially those who made it this far.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coolant may have been from the overflow tank behind the fascia on the right side
you may have got a little hot and pushed some fluid out the top of the tank

yes, I've been told that going over 6k regularly will reduce the life of the motor but once should not hurt anything

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like we ALL need a Paxton on our cars!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if those heads were stock id think you might have hurt something or were likely to do so. with the strykers, not so likely.

stock springs and retainers are junk

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great to hear the "Closed Course" has a Walmart for your automotive needs. How many standing yellows were in that parking lot ?

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I left the closed course and then headed to walmart.

The heads are not strykers, but stock heads ported by JM with jesel rockers. I did smell a faint something right as I backed off but it went away within quickly. The coolant seemed to be in the middle, not to the side. If I notice anything next time I drive, Ill have my Viper tech take a look at it. I need to get a shift light now. Engine also has J&E pistons.
Plum, I cant image how your paxton pulls with all the power your putting down.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to be very careful, if you did hurt something and coolant is slowly pouring into one or more of your cylinders than you can have a catastrophe on your hands next time you start it up.

What you need to do is pull all the plugs and have someone crank the motor to see if anything starts coming out from the plug holes. Otherwise you can hydro lock the motor and hurt it much more.

Another question you should be asking yourself is why your car does not have a 6100rpm rev limiter?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I left the closed course and then headed to walmart.

The heads are not strykers, but stock heads ported by JM with jesel rockers. I did smell a faint something right as I backed off but it went away within quickly. The coolant seemed to be in the middle, not to the side. If I notice anything next time I drive, Ill have my Viper tech take a look at it. I need to get a shift light now. Engine also has J&E pistons.
Plum, I cant image how your paxton pulls with all the power your putting down.

No rev limiter? I'd imagine the rev limiter would have kicked in before 6,500 rpm. :dunno:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No rev limiter? I'd imagine the rev limiter would have kicked in before 6,500 rpm. :dunno:

I would have thought so, too - but mine does the same thing. I've hit 6500 a few times and definitely no rev limiter kicked in. Someone told me once that the rev limiter on my car was set at 7100 RPM? I thought that was BS because by then, I'd think the engine would be all over the place...

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started the car up twice yesterday and drove it some and didnt notice any coolant. This morning I put a large sheet of white paper under the car and didnt notice any dips.
Ill ask the previous owner about the rev limiter. Didnt think of that. Things happen so quick in that car. Im now wondering if it was really at 6500 or right at 6k. All i know is that it was in the yellow/orange. But again, Ill ask the prev. owner about the rev limiter. If it hasnt been removed then I assume I was at 6k instead of 6500 but I doubt it. The car has the split second and PCM tune.
I assume its possible to have the rev limiter "tuned" back in???

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone should have a Paxton...

Coolant could be coming from the intercooler as well. Check the reservoir and make sure it's topped off.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sweetride, how did the woodhouse mounts help with your paxton? I had them in my other GTS (head work) and they made a big difference.

Ill check the coolant levels when I get home as I think the intercooler could be it as it was directly in the middle front of the car, right under the bumper and not off to either side.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Paxton on my 06. When I got on it hard the antifreeze in the intercooler would heat up and blow by the cap on the intercooler tank. It didn't matter how tight the cap was. I fixed it by drilling a hole in the cap and running a hose to the bottom of a catch can. Now if it heats up the coolant goes into the catch can. When it cools down the coolant is sucked back into the intercooler. unfortunately I blew the engine at Pocono during the NE Zone Rendevous. See posting under SRT section - Dyno before and after Paxton.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DLM filled my intercooler with the red antifreeze and radiator with the green (or other way around) so id know which one it is...

just a tip for ya that made sense to me

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sweetride, how did the woodhouse mounts help with your paxton? I had them in my other GTS (head work) and they made a big difference.

Ill check the coolant levels when I get home as I think the intercooler could be it as it was directly in the middle front of the car, right under the bumper and not off to either side.

The Woodhouse mounts made all the difference in the world. Although, a box of Jello would have been better than my stock mounts as they were all completely ripped apart. :crazy2:

The mounts are great and it keeps everything nice and tight. It practically eliminated wheel hop. It also made shifting feel more direct as it took all the slop outta the transmission. I highly recommend them and they should have come this way from the factory.

Call Mark and get a set!!! :D

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
took the car out yesterday evening runs/drives fine.

I would like to give my opinion on the Roe vs paxton debates that I see every now and then.

Never driven a Roe but I must say, if a Roe car making same power, say 600rwhp and a paxton making 600rwhp were to race in the 1/4, I would say hands down the roe would win. I dont see how the paxton could beat the roe if the roe hooks up. I love my paxton but dont see how.
Those looking for more power on the low end with paxtons get Greg good heads, strykers, or stroker motor then bolt on a paxton (excluding the standard reasons for getting correct headwork to work with a FI car). Those mods make up for the paxton in the lower rpms if designed right.
Now on anything longer then the 1/4th and i think the paxton would come from behind and pull ahead for the win.
Again this is just my opinion since this topic is brough up and i for one have yet to see the answer I was looking for. Everyone compares the Roe to a 8 or 900 rwhp paxton which makes little sense to me.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say a 600rwhp Roe might beat a 700rwhp paxton up to a certain speed. The power delivery of the paxton is kinda disappointing, kinda like driving a Honda.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its all in taste and how you like the power delivered. Would be nice if the paxton made more power down low or came in at 2k on the stock kit. Some argue that the paxton makes plenty of power down low but those individuals seem to be making 800rwhp plus to the tires so of course your making good power down low.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its all in taste and how you like the power delivered. Would be nice if the paxton made more power down low or came in at 2k on the stock kit. Some argue that the paxton makes plenty of power down low but those individuals seem to be making 800rwhp plus to the tires so of course your making good power down low.

The only reason the Paxton has any power down low is because the car already has 488 c.i. pushing it. Once the Paxton hits though, it hits hard. 3000-6000 RPM goes by in the blink of an eye.

If you want more down low, throw some 3.73 gears at it. :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i swear i dont know how much more power down low you need....

admittedly mine makes a TON down low (not like roe would at 800rwhp+) but jeez, anymore and mine would be tough to drive on the street.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is all those that claim to make 800rwhp from a paxton are being delusional. You cant really blame them because most don't even have a clue on what it does or just how much power it can deliver.

I will try to break it down, a Novi 2000 is capable of MAX 960hp worth of air this is by paxtons own claims. Knowing that you can easily see how people that get anything close to 800rwhp or higher dyno graphs are being lied to.

Here is the actual math assuming you are running enough boost to make 960hp worth.

960 crank
-100 parasitic loss (its probably more like 150hp but lets just call it 100)
Now 860 crank
13% drive train loss
748 max rwhp.

Claim all the hp you want but bottom line is a Novi 2000 is not capable of more than that.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score

this statement is correct once you change the pulley for more boost the pulley is smaller and spooles mutch faster coming on at 2400 rpms instead of 3000 and still pulls even harder at higher rpms

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my paxton is making 645 rwhp (mustang dyno) and with the head/cam job, I am making plenty down low and would not want anymore as plum said, driving, for me, would be difficult. Changing the pulley would bring it on a tad earlier which is the future plan along with a fuel system. Now If I would drag or road course then I might want roe like power down low from the paxton.
Also alot of the paxton dynos I see from those making 900rwhp are on dyno jets, which from my understanding is not as realistic because I mimic you driving down hill. I know Woodhouse uses a mustang.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after a sunday of racing. Dragging racing with some friends on a blocked off back street....I surely need to upgrade me clutch (currently stock) and my exhaust note sounds different when I get on it. If I rev it in neutral, sounds normal, but if I rev it in gear or if Iam driving in third for example and hit it, I get this crackeling exhaust note, not my normal beefy note. Still accelerates good once at 3k and above. Some times when sitting at idle it has that crackeling sound too. Car has full exhaust, with vortex cones to quiet it down some. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, hi flow cats. Are u getting at that one is probably bad? Hi flows have about 6k on them.
Any way to test or is the sound they're giving off the test? Seems to come coming from passenger side.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
put your hand behind the tips and feel the pressure. if one side is more than the other or if very little, they are plugged and dont drive it.

you should be able to feel the pressure as far back as about 3' from the tips

trust me on this....lol

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is all those that claim to make 800rwhp from a paxton are being delusional. You cant really blame them because most don't even have a clue on what it does or just how much power it can deliver.

I will try to break it down, a Novi 2000 is capable of MAX 960hp worth of air this is by paxtons own claims. Knowing that you can easily see how people that get anything close to 800rwhp or higher dyno graphs are being lied to.

Here is the actual math assuming you are running enough boost to make 960hp worth.

960 crank
-100 parasitic loss (its probably more like 150hp but lets just call it 100)
Now 860 crank
13% drive train loss
748 max rwhp.

Claim all the hp you want but bottom line is a Novi 2000 is not capable of more than that.

Now that's some funny stuff right there.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::lmao::lmao::lmao: