my RT/10 attacked by tire retread... grr

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after a great time at the Tail of the Dragon it is time to head home. So following Kevan, minding my own business some car in front of Kevan smacks this retread into the air... so next thing you know it comes squirting out from under his trailer and is airborne. In the blink of an eye before I can even **** the wheel I see it disappear and hear an aweful thud.
So I look into my mirrors - all of them - and can't find this thing anywhere on the road behind me.

I call Kevan and pull up close to him in the left lane so he can look in his mirror and I hear him say "Oh, ahh, okay there it is.." CLICK
Then he turns on his right blinker.

I'm like :omg: Is it bad?
At this point Murphey's Law isn't done toying with me yet so as soon as he gets ready to turn off so I can see it... we enter construction. So now I need to sweat for another few miles till we can check it out.
I just kept thinking "please don't let my clamshell hood be cracked."

So we eventually pull over and as I'm getting out he says "You're gonna want a picture of this."
:omg: Okay, I'm trying to be cool so I reach into the car to get my cell phone and this is what I see...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Everything seems okay but my clear bra got several nasties on it.

I swear those stupid retreads should be outlawed! :mad:

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 3 months ago I was driving in to Ft. Worth on a three lane highway with a truck on either side of me, 1 in front and 1 behind. All of a sudden, I see the one in front pass over a piece of blown out truck tire. No where to go. It tore up the underside of my front fascia pretty good. Had to take it off and have it repaired and repainted at a local body shop. They're everywhere here in Tx. Glad it didn't do severe damage. Art

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you check the radiator for damage? Hope everything is alright...

OP
OP
V

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could not agree more on the retreads.

Could have been a lot worse! Glad your OK.

could've been a whole lot worse for sure.

Yeah, guess your both right. I wasn't feeling so lucky at the time so I just flung it into the grass.
Then Kevan did the right thing and picked it up to throw it out. :1up:
I was just a little hot at the moment so glad he was there.:)

OP
OP
V

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 3 months ago I was driving in to Ft. Worth on a three lane highway with a truck on either side of me, 1 in front and 1 behind. All of a sudden, I see the one in front pass over a piece of blown out truck tire. No where to go. It tore up the underside of my front fascia pretty good. Had to take it off and have it repaired and repainted at a local body shop. They're everywhere here in Tx. Glad it didn't do severe damage. Art

Yeah, that just *****. Sorry to hear that but your story does make me feel better about things. :D

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I just had a fun time dodging one of these the other day. Car in front of me was moving back into the right lane at the same time as me and then quickly veers back left revealing a tread probably less than 50 feet in front of me on the highway. I managed to dodge it but almost put the car over the shoulder into the grass. Felt the back end slide around a little and probably lost a heartbeat or two, lol.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That *****. Hopefully no permanent damage. And I can't believe how many gators are are all over that road.
Know I Didn't hit a tire. But on my way their my ABS light and Parking light came on. So now I have to trouble shot that mess.
Its always something.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alligators (Retread) are a big problem in Texas; so much so, every time I take the Snake out, I feel like I'm playing "Frogger". I am continuously maneuvering on the highway to insure I have ample distance to first see them, and then somewhere to go to avoid them. And I try to not take the Snake out in the dark if at all possible. The very first time ever attending an event in San Antonio, TX I ran over one of these. It cracked the very bottom spoiler portion of the front facia - not really noticeable unless you get down on your knees and look underneath - but I know it, and it *****.

Glad your alligator event was not worse than it was. In a more dramatic even many years ago, I had one of these get thrown up by a large truck and it came down on top of a Miata that I at the time owned and was driving. It took out the passenger side of the hood, front fender, windshield, outside mirror, and seat. At the time I was the only one in the car, or it would have also taken out the passenger.

Retreads need to be banned and outlawed - period.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Glad it didn't make it worse and you have a clear bra.

Mine ate a couple sparrows so far.

BadAndy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was telling my wife about this. One of her comments was "Dragon, how come you didn't go?" You know what that means....2014 free pass !!!!!

OP
OP
V

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awww. You're lying Mike. You ate a Corvette didn't ya?

Andy, you gave me a great idea for a new avatar... and possibly a new t-shirt as well. :D

And yes, she is right... you need to show off that new Venzano interior man!

OP
OP
V

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... I had one of these get thrown up by a large truck and it came down on top of a Miata that I at the time owned and was driving. It took out the passenger side of the hood, front fender, windshield, outside mirror, and seat. At the time I was the only one in the car, or it would have also taken out the passenger.

Retreads need to be banned and outlawed - period.

:omg:... Good grief that crazy!
Can you imagine if you were on a motorcycle at the time?

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:... Good grief that crazy!
Can you imagine if you were on a motorcycle at the time?

Ha, ha. Back when I was stationed in Panama Central America, I and a friend each bought motor-scooters to run around in. We soon learned all about falling coconuts. Memories ...

I often wonder about rocks that get thrown up by large trucks - the kind that can crack your windshield. I'm always perplexed by motorcycles that don't have windscreens. I cannot imagine how a rider doesn't lose control if and when struck in the face/forehead by a rock when riding on the highway.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... I cannot imagine how a rider doesn't lose control if and when struck in the face/forehead by a rock when riding on the highway.

Full face helmet and full leathers. I see guys riding with no helmet, and I only hope they have checked the "organ donor" box on their driver's license. I've had large beetles bounce off my helmet at speed (almost felt like a rock, but I've never seen a rock with wings) and wonder how much damage they would have done to my head w/o a helmet.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've taken my share of grasshoppers to the shins/hands and a few bugs have managed to just make it over my windsheild into my forehead. The ones that hit my hands are the almost the scariest because it makes me **** my hand or let off the throttle real fast which upsets the bike some.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
might look pretty cool to have a custom color(colour) push guard on the front like cop cars have, could put some led driving light built into the bar like I have seen some off road vehicles have, could integrate tow points as well, even a couple of horizontal bars extended just front of fascia could deflect the small stuff(bunnies, tire chunks, birds), was tryin to find a way to mount a rear spoiler from a dodge stealth to a modified chin for a viper anyway so maybe two birds one stone thing, if someone does it before me at least post pics and try not to steal all the credit

OP
OP
V

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I have caught a rabbit in there before, but it crawled back out on it's own...........................:D

Well Mike, after seeing how fast you drive at the tail of the dragon... if that rabbit DID crawl out on his own then you must have still been in your driveway when you hit it. :lmao:

OP
OP
V

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha, ha. Back when I was stationed in Panama Central America, I and a friend each bought motor-scooters to run around in. We soon learned all about falling coconuts. Memories ...

Coconuts... :omg: that sir is a whole new ballgame, Geez!

Full face helmet and full leathers. I see guys riding with no helmet, and I only hope they have checked the "organ donor" box on their driver's license. I've had large beetles bounce off my helmet at speed (almost felt like a rock, but I've never seen a rock with wings) and wonder how much damage they would have done to my head w/o a helmet.
I remember noticing how many dings my helmet had in it after a few years... makes you think.

I've taken my share of grasshoppers to the shins/hands and a few bugs have managed to just make it over my windsheild into my forehead. The ones that hit my hands are the almost the scariest because it makes me **** my hand or let off the throttle real fast which upsets the bike some.
I remember years ago I had a bee get stuck in my helmet between my ear and eye. :lmao: Couldn't pull over fast enough. :panic:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!! Just saw this.... Wow, that *****. Somehow it make me want to spit raspberries.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62