My RT 10 top will not shut up!

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When its hot out, my RT top creaks like a 88 Greenwood Vette.
Any ideas why? I believe it is adjusted correctly.
When its cool weather its silent, like it grew there.

Hot weather and its a symphony of rattles.
So before I beat it with a shovel, any ideas?
Besides, drive it at night.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it the hardtop or the softop you are talking about? If you're talking about the softop, the same thing happened to me, I just stopped using it.

mopar75110

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hardtop is noisy also--even to the point of being embarassing when I give someone a ride. I have adjusted it time and again, but I can't win!!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When its hot out, my RT top creaks like a 88 Greenwood Vette.
Any ideas why? I believe it is adjusted correctly.
When its cool weather its silent, like it grew there.

Hot weather and its a symphony of rattles.
So before I beat it with a shovel, any ideas?
Besides, drive it at night.

Rattles are tougher, but squeeks are pretty easy. Silicone divers grease on all the seals.

Soft top rattles are "mostly" the cross braces. To help minimize these, cover the plastic ends with adhesive felt, not to thick, or they will not fit in the side rails.... this eliminates teh hard plastic to hard plastic rattle and an occasional "rubbing" squeek.

The divers grease on the seals that touch the car will take care of most of the hardtop noises.

OP
OP
K

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey good idea.
I will leave the Viper hard top at home and have a couple of custom viper umbrella hats made since it rains everyday and I live about 1 mile from the Sun. Its about 200 degrees out daily. This combined with the V10 Heat allowed me to witness fission on my hood at a red light. I almost went back in time.

Chicks dig umbrella hats!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use my hardtop every so often, and never have any noise out of it. I've also adjusted the rear latches myself to be fairly tight You'll have to have someone ride with you to figure out exactly where the noise is coming from, then address whatever issue you find. Sorry not much help...

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know this is an old subject and thread, but I did a search and this is what came up. My hardtop squeeks quite a bit and I was wondering where you get silicone divers grease and what it is normally used for? Are there any other solutions to squeeky hardtops, besides taking it off and leaving it home? :)

Any ideas?

I think in compounding and waxing my RT, wax got on the vinyl protection strip across the top of the cross bar. I know wax and rubber seals don't mix, tend to squeek alot.

Thanks!

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's what you do to fix the squeeks and creaks... Remove the top. For creaks from behind your head, spray silicone on the unthreaded part of the two bolts that protrude through the hardtop. The rear of the hardtop floats on those two bolts. Alternatively you can caress grease onto the bolts, but do not get it on the threads. If you get grease or spray on the threads, remove with brake cleaner on a rag as the bolts will come loose from the skycap when installed. For creaks in the front, it's normally the corners. Cut some 3M felt and place it at the contact points just to the outer edges past the latch holes where the top corners contact the windshield frame.

Or just live with it and get a louder exhaust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang