My Showdown with a ZR1....at the strip

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my little story, last year I put the Mopar PCM and Roe H/F Cats on my 08 Viper vert, dynoed at 563 rwhp/533 tq vs 545 rwhp/505 tq stock, and went to try it at the drags, hoping to get some low 11's as I had seen on this forum, with 94 oct, lower rear tire pressure, 1/4 tank of gas, launch at 3000 rpm... . I quickly realized that my name was not "Jamie Furman" and the tires would spin out of control at launch and my times sucked in the low to mid 12's. On my final run I took it easy out of the box (2.19 60 ft) and finally got a 11.86@ 129.2mph.
This year I mostly did cosmetics but also added Belanger headers and Dynoed again at 576 rwhp/548tq. Yesterday morning I felt good and wanted to drag race the Viper again, the weather was muggy and I had a full tank of gas in the car but decided to try it anyway, just for fun. When I got to the strip it was almost deserted as some heavy rain was forcasted but I saw a new ZR1 doing multiple runs in the 11.7- 11.8 range. I did a first run alone, with a good start but getting heavy wheelspin in second gear but still managed a 11.89 @124.5. On my return the guy with the ZR1 was waving at me to line up and go against him right now, so I did and spun again bad into second gear and got a 12.05@122mph, the ZR1 missed third and let go with a 15.94. 1 win for the Viper.
He weaves again to keep going one more time, so with nobody in the lane we lined up again, I had a slow 2.02 start, spun a bit less into second and got a 11.78@124, he missed third gear again and did 13.17, no stopping and we go again. This time I started easy with a 1.99, short shifted second and did not spin to a new BP of 11.63 @128.11, he did [email protected]. Viper 3/ ZR1 0.
This time we stopped and talked for a while, he had hired a photograph to take pics of his car in action and got some of mine also. The ZR1 was totally stock and the guy was there to try and learn how to dragrace his car and have a good time just like me. He went for lunch and I stayed a while to look at the hot trailered cars and Dragsters that made some practice runs.
I decided to make two more passes before heading back home. I got a [email protected] and a [email protected]. On my way back to the pits the ZR1 guy is there again wanting a rematch, so we line up once more, I get a poor 2.05 start to a [email protected] and he misses third gear again (he could not figure why) to a 13.15.
One more, OK, I get my best 1.90 start but spin heavyly into second, let of the gas to straighten the car and go again to a [email protected] but he gets third gear right and his BP of [email protected]
Final score 4 to 1 for the Viper but the ZR1 finally got the lowest time. In the end we both had fun and promise to do it again some other day.
Here's a few pics his photogragher took and sent me today, the poor ones are mine. On one of the runs I managed to record a 0-60 mph with my onboard Dashhwak plugged into the OBD port and got a 2.91 sec reading, I dont know how accurate these are, but I like this number.
Next time I will be better prepared and will try to find a way to hook properly into second gear.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well that's what fun is all about. Congrats. Get some DRs or perhaps some traction compound to wipe onto the tires for a much better launch.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loooks like good times...the 0 to 60.in.2.x seconds...give all your timeslip info on that run..sixty foot and eight et and mph ect...ive done zero to sixty in 3.68 seconds off a 1.87 sixty foot and 7.9 eighth at 95.5 mph......to get a zeron to sixty in 2.9 you would need a minimum of 1.9 sixt foot and the eigth in low sevens at 100 mph....nice kills on the zr1...with more practice you will both be low 11s at 130mph

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great time. Although I might be a little biased, I think your Viper looks a lot nicer than the Vette.

Really nice of him to send you those excellent pictures, they look amazing!

OP
OP
S

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loooks like good times...the 0 to 60.in.2.x seconds...give all your timeslip info on that run..sixty foot and eight et and mph ect...ive done zero to sixty in 3.68 seconds off a 1.87 sixty foot and 7.9 eighth at 95.5 mph......to get a zeron to sixty in 2.9 you would need a minimum of 1.9 sixt foot and the eigth in low sevens at 100 mph....nice kills on the zr1...with more practice you will both be low 11s at 130mph

The 0-60 in 2.91 was recorded on my last run where I finally had my best start with a 60 ft in 1.901, 330 ft in 5.100 but then spun the tires badly when hitting second gear, so I lifted to get the car straight again and got a 1/8 time of 7.729 at only 93.29 mph. My best 1/8 of the day was on a 1.99 60 ft, 330 ft in 5,184 and 1/8 in 7.71 at 96.61.
Again, I dont know how accurate this Dashhawk really is, but it takes the info from the car's OBD port, so I just read the results.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have swapped cars and seen the results. Sounds like he was still learning to drive that Vette. Those are fast times for a couple of street tire races.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet that was a fun day. :2tu:. Great driving and keep on practicing, you get low 11's when the weather cools down a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that's what fun is all about. Congrats. Get some DRs or perhaps some traction compound to wipe onto the tires for a much better launch.

Thanks for the info, DRs are on my list for next summer.
Traction compound is a great idea for next time on the PS2.
Do you need to wipe it on before every run? as on that day I did 2 sets of 4 runs non stop.
Also what tire pressure is best for the PS2 ?
I'm just an amateur having fun, but I want to go back better prepared next time.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good photos and story. If you want to stick with a street tire that still has awesome traction at the track (and street) switch to a Nitto Invo. The sidewall is a bit softer, and this tire hooks! The PS2's are great for corner carving, but their straight-line traction is no match for the Invo's.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
darnit..you got a best of 128.11 to his best of 128.22!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If only you had went on a 1/4 tank of gas.....

ha ha haman those were some close races...

After looking at your results with the 1.90 60 foot (darn good short time)maybe the 2.9 0-60 mph was possible...If I can hit 3.6 of a 1.87 60 foot with 100 rwhp less than you at only 475 rwhp...

Then maybe your car really is that fast...2.9 is smokeing...DANG

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my little story, last year I put the Mopar PCM and Roe H/F Cats on my 08 Viper vert, dynoed at 563 rwhp/533 tq vs 545 rwhp/505 tq stock, and went to try it at the drags, hoping to get some low 11's as I had seen on this forum, with 94 oct, lower rear tire pressure, 1/4 tank of gas, launch at 3000 rpm... . I quickly realized that my name was not "Jamie Furman" and the tires would spin out of control at launch and my times sucked in the low to mid 12's. On my final run I took it easy out of the box (2.19 60 ft) and finally got a 11.86@ 129.2mph.
This year I mostly did cosmetics but also added Belanger headers and Dynoed again at 576 rwhp/548tq. Yesterday morning I felt good and wanted to drag race the Viper again, the weather was muggy and I had a full tank of gas in the car but decided to try it anyway, just for fun. When I got to the strip it was almost deserted as some heavy rain was forcasted but I saw a new ZR1 doing multiple runs in the 11.7- 11.8 range. I did a first run alone, with a good start but getting heavy wheelspin in second gear but still managed a 11.89 @124.5. On my return the guy with the ZR1 was waving at me to line up and go against him right now, so I did and spun again bad into second gear and got a 12.05@122mph, the ZR1 missed third and let go with a 15.94. 1 win for the Viper.
He weaves again to keep going one more time, so with nobody in the lane we lined up again, I had a slow 2.02 start, spun a bit less into second and got a 11.78@124, he missed third gear again and did 13.17, no stopping and we go again. This time I started easy with a 1.99, short shifted second and did not spin to a new BP of 11.63 @128.11, he did [email protected]. Viper 3/ ZR1 0.
This time we stopped and talked for a while, he had hired a photograph to take pics of his car in action and got some of mine also. The ZR1 was totally stock and the guy was there to try and learn how to dragrace his car and have a good time just like me. He went for lunch and I stayed a while to look at the hot trailered cars and Dragsters that made some practice runs.
I decided to make two more passes before heading back home. I got a [email protected] and a [email protected]. On my way back to the pits the ZR1 guy is there again wanting a rematch, so we line up once more, I get a poor 2.05 start to a [email protected] and he misses third gear again (he could not figure why) to a 13.15.
One more, OK, I get my best 1.90 start but spin heavyly into second, let of the gas to straighten the car and go again to a [email protected] but he gets third gear right and his BP of [email protected]
Final score 4 to 1 for the Viper but the ZR1 finally got the lowest time. In the end we both had fun and promise to do it again some other day.
Here's a few pics his photogragher took and sent me today, the poor ones are mine. On one of the runs I managed to record a 0-60 mph with my onboard Dashhwak plugged into the OBD port and got a 2.91 sec reading, I dont know how accurate these are, but I like this number.
Next time I will be better prepared and will try to find a way to hook properly into second gear.

DID THEY TAKE ANY PICS OF THE ZR1...SO FAR iM ONLY SEEING A VIPER....HOUDINI MAGIC ACT 101....HOW TO MAKE A VETTE DISAPEAR

RoadRace

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very Nice! Did you make the front spliter yourself? Very simple and clean. What did that do for the steering at speed? I've been told that a front spliter without the rear wing upsets the car. I don't want the rear wing look but the steering gets light at 165+. thanks

OP
OP
S

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
darnit..you got a best of 128.11 to his best of 128.22!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If only you had went on a 1/4 tank of gas.....

ha ha haman those were some close races...

After looking at your results with the 1.90 60 foot (darn good short time)maybe the 2.9 0-60 mph was possible...If I can hit 3.6 of a 1.87 60 foot with 100 rwhp less than you at only 475 rwhp...

Then maybe your car really is that fast...2.9 is smokeing...DANG

With my modded 06 SRT8 Jeep it showed a 3.51 0-60 mph on a 1/4 mile run where I got 1.69 60 foot, 7.75 at 1/8 and [email protected].
Here's a video of that run. My best ever with the Jeep was a 3.44 sec and a 1.68 60 ft
Enjoy another great SRT machine !

OP
OP
S

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Nice! Did you make the front spliter yourself? Very simple and clean. What did that do for the steering at speed? I've been told that a front spliter without the rear wing upsets the car. I don't want the rear wing look but the steering gets light at 165+. thanks

Front splitter is from Eurotek, wich is molded to the front lower bumper and sits about 2" higher than the ACR model and so is less prone to hit anything on the streets. I also have their drilled rotors.
Euroteck Motorsports -- Dodge Viper
I did not notice anything special at speed, but I only went to 140 mph max, not 165+. Note that I also have a small rear wing but I dont know if it's helping or not.

OP
OP
S

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great pics, great times. im sure those kw's did nothing but hinder you.

Thanks, but in what way are the KW not helping ? Can you explain?
I know they are adjustable in 18 positions, I have not played with that yet as they are set at mid position 9 all around for the moment, wich is a great confortable set-up on the street.

markus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, but in what way are the KW not helping ? Can you explain?
I know they are adjustable in 18 positions, I have not played with that yet as they are set at mid position 9 all around for the moment, wich is a great confortable set-up on the street.
well, definitely not claiming to be an expert here as i only have experience with variant 1's (and not at all on vipers), but in looking at the pics of your car, there doesn't look to be much room for squat and they're generally stiffer than stock....again, only experienced in v1's and not on vipers so i would just think with a different setup maybe you could eek out a better 60ft, but then again im not sure how much you can dampen the v2's. regardless, your times are very respectable.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice times. Keep practicing and you will run low elevens at 130 plus. Track prep is essential for 60 ft times. Good driver cannot run sub 1.9 on poor surfaces.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
honestly his car is very capable of 10's...it's already proven to hit 128's and 129's on his better passes...

It seems like the OP's 60 foot of 1.90 is very good and the 128-129 mph capability is their as well..

Maybe slow shifts is the culprit here??? I was amazed when I started knocking off 3-4 tenths from just faster shifting

OP
OP
S

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what track do you go to? i'd love to go see ya hit up a few runs against a ZR1 :)

The track is Napierville Dragway, in Napierville Qc, about 35 min. south of Montreal.
The ZR1 guy has my E-mail and phone, I told him I'm ready for a rematch anytime and he said he'd call me as he too enjoyed the friendly feud. I'll post here when we go back for more runs.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my modded 06 SRT8 Jeep it showed a 3.51 0-60 mph on a 1/4 mile run where I got 1.69 60 foot, 7.75 at 1/8 and [email protected].
Here's a video of that run. My best ever with the Jeep was a 3.44 sec and a 1.68 60 ft
Enjoy another great SRT machine !

3.5 seconds in a jeep. DANG..The 7.7 is moveing out as well...Looks like she starts looseing a lil steam up top but a 12.1 at 113 mph is still very impressive..

That seems right on the money so maybe you did get a 2.9 0-60...I wonder what that run would have been if you didnt spin and let off in second gear

OP
OP
S

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
honestly his car is very capable of 10's...it's already proven to hit 128's and 129's on his better passes...

It seems like the OP's 60 foot of 1.90 is very good and the 128-129 mph capability is their as well..

Maybe slow shifts is the culprit here??? I was amazed when I started knocking off 3-4 tenths from just faster shifting

Twister, the curlpit is very obvious to me and it's simply getting no traction when shifting from first to second gear at 6500 rpm (allowed by the Mopar PCM) and feeling the car starting to go sideways with tires spinning like crazy. At that point I have no choice but to let go the gas and when the back end gets in line again I nail it back but the run is wasted. The only runs I did not spin in second gear is when I did not go WOT after shifting into second, but that is not natural for me to do. Once I shifted out of first earlier at about 6000 rpm but I got wheelspin again. On a few runs I heard the tires chirp again going into third, so the shifts must be fast enough. This thing is a Beast and if I can find the right way to handle it, I know the times will drop.
You got me thinking maybe a slower shift to second would help ?

Last edited:

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent,having fun is what it all about.The Corvettes/Vipers are bad azzz American Muscle Cars.Good story,very positive.I made 5 passes in my Viper a couple of weeks ago at Palm Beach.I had some of the same situations as you.It was a lot of fun.Both the ZR1 and Gen 4 Vipers are insane fast.I really can not tell the difference in driving each one,which is faster.

2008 Viper Coupe
2009 Corvette ZR1
2010 Ford SVT Raptor

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dragon Rider recently told me to try the ps1 in the stock tires at 22-24 psi..I went with 21-22 psi and got my best 60 foot ever of 1.87..

Like I said I have zero experiance with the gen4's..And my gen3 was a completely differant animal to drag race than my gen 2 was (gen3 much harder)...

But again this seems to work for me..

1500 rpm launch with slight chirp of the tires and lay into it..short shift 500-1000 rpm's of redline into second gear. modulate the throttle half way down for a split second and then lay into it. powershift third and fourth..

Thats what works for me on my better passes...If I try to power shift second it's just scary and not worth my life / plus you lose a lot of momentum from the spinniung ect when you have to let off to correct..

Short shifting on the one to two shift lets the rpm's be a lil lower when you go for second gear wich helps with the spinning ect..

Your trying to guide a 600 rwhp missle in a straight path on roller skates..LOL

can be done but I wish I had more experiance to really know with the gen4's

OP
OP
S

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dragon Rider recently told me to try the ps1 in the stock tires at 22-24 psi..I went with 21-22 psi and got my best 60 foot ever of 1.87..

Like I said I have zero experiance with the gen4's..And my gen3 was a completely differant animal to drag race than my gen 2 was (gen3 much harder)...

But again this seems to work for me..

1500 rpm launch with slight chirp of the tires and lay into it..short shift 500-1000 rpm's of redline into second gear. modulate the throttle half way down for a split second and then lay into it. powershift third and fourth..

Thats what works for me on my better passes...If I try to power shift second it's just scary and not worth my life / plus you lose a lot of momentum from the spinniung ect when you have to let off to correct..

Short shifting on the one to two shift lets the rpm's be a lil lower when you go for second gear wich helps with the spinning ect..

Your trying to guide a 600 rwhp missle in a straight path on roller skates..LOL

can be done but I wish I had more experiance to really know with the gen4's

Thanks Twister,
That's a whole lot of valuable info right there, I'll def use these guidelines next time around....but Drag Radials will be a necessity soon if I want to get more serious

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave