My Showdown with a ZR1....at the strip

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice runs, great pics, especially the first two. Those look like magazine cover shots...really, is there a Vette in the picture?? Your car does overwhelm the shot.

About a month ago I ran at Infineon (where you can't go faster than a 11.50 without a 6 point cage, safety gear, etc). On stock PS2's I got down to 11.57 with a 1.86ish 60 foot time. 11.57 was shear luck as I took off easy so as not to go below 11.50 and get black listed from the track. Car is stock with headers and stock mufflers. I'm installing a Mopar PCM and 3.55's with an OS Giken....it should be a real handful:D

I'm going to have to find a new track (maybe Sacramento) that is more "understanding" of the 11.50 ET rule.

Just to make you feel better about others that might be faster than you in a Viper, just saying "SRT" takes about half a second. So really, you're only an "SRT" behind Furman :2tu:

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
S

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words George, and congrats on your 11.57 on PS2s, amazing!
Did you shift into fourth or stayed in third at the end ? On my 2 best runs with 128 and 129 mph I was still in third, but hitting the cut-off.
Mopar PCM is great, I had my car on the dyno with and without it on back to back runs and it picked up 10 to 15 HP and TQ in the 3,800 to 5800 rpm range.
I'm also thinking about the OS Giken for a future mod but with 3.33 max, just enough to make 6th gear more usable on the highway.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got an email from Dwayne Miller saying that he went 11.1@128 at Mission Raceway with his stock SSG, first time out so keep practising. Mission Raceway is at sealevel which helps.

Ted

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words George, and congrats on your 11.57 on PS2s, amazing!
Did you shift into fourth or stayed in third at the end ? On my 2 best runs with 128 and 129 mph I was still in third, but hitting the cut-off.
Mopar PCM is great, I had my car on the dyno with and without it on back to back runs and it picked up 10 to 15 HP and TQ in the 3,800 to 5800 rpm range.
I'm also thinking about the OS Giken for a future mod but with 3.33 max, just enough to make 6th gear more usable on the highway.

Claude,

I'm right on the bubble going through the traps, depending on how the rest of the run goes I'm either in third, sometimes in fourth. I'm a beginner drag racer (not very good) and still learning the car. What guys that drag race a lot are telling me for every tenth you shave off your 60' time equates to approximately 2 tenths on your ET. So if you can knock 2 tenths off your 60' time, you'll be in the low 11's with stock tires. I normally run them at 22 to 24 psi cold.

I'm going to try to get up to a test and tune day in Sacramento so I can make multiple passes to get my clutch slip just right for the launch, practice shifting at the right rpm, etc. I think I was also loosing some time in my shifting. So far all my runs have been during "bracket" racing so it tends to be a little more stressful and rigid, tough to do experiments with the limited number of runs you get.

I think 3.55's are going to be a compromise gear for me, I will look forward to easier stop and go driving. I should definately be in 4th through the traps when I get the new pumpkin in.

Cheers,
George