My Viper crash was one year ago today

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing the post about the fatal crash near SF has made me realize just how lucky my daughter and I were. That car went over once, we rolled three times. maybe the difference was the autoform bar and the teamtechs, maybe not.
My daughter has made a full recovery, and so have I.
The debate will rage on about driveer responsiblity in viper accidents vs. the automobile. From my own experience, I have to say that without debate it was my error as a driver. I do not know what the error was, as I have no memory of the incident, but clearly the car got off the road at moderate speed (66mph or so), and it didn't drive itself off the road. I lived to accept that responsibility in my case.
Having driven this Viper for the better part of 7 months now, I can say that the car has never once done anything other that what I have asked it to do, either on the street or on the track. It is a machine that needs a humans input to operate, nothing more.
Anyway, after a long year, and a viperdays experience and multiple track experiences in my car, I can honestly say I think I am "learning" how to drive this car properly.
All that I can say that perspective I have gained in life due to almost losing mine and my daughters lives, have forever altered the course of the life that I currently lead

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is great that you and and your daughter are doing well.

I believe most people lose sight, that everything material can be replaced.

Learning from our past experiences make us better people and better drivers :2tu:

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to hear you and your daughter are ok. I was once in a zr-1 corvette that flipped over as a passenger, and it gives you a different perspective on life when you live through something like that. Thanks for sharing and be well. Eagle

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a very humbling story for some people who like to think they're Superman (I think we all have that fault at times). The fact that your daughter was with you should also mellow some people out who like to push their car to the limits on public roads and with passengers (again,we've prob all been guilty at some time). You taking responsibility for the accident and not calling
1-800-LAWSUIT deserves a lot of respect as well. Its great both of you have recovered and thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hi vegas, glad you and your daughter have made complete recoveries.

Outstanding comments!

Glad you are learning to tame the Snake. But it is a wild Snake and will bite given an opportunity.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post and glad you and she are OK. Most people will never accept responsiblity--it takes guts . I can recall several times with my 3 Vipers thinking, "oops, that was close."

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The joke in the Viper world is that traction control comes from your feet. I'd like to add your brain to that list too. The more you learn about handling the Viper, the more your brain gets involved in your driving.

I remember reading about the crash last year. Glad you guys made it through ok. It's a scary thing losing control of the snake. More so if someone you love is with you. You did the right thing jumping back into a Viper and getting better with your driving. :2tu:

OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the well wishes. Just for good measure, today I took the car to the track to brush up on my driving skills. I love this car

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4