My Viper is Totaled

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I have been very excited awaiting the arrival of a 2006 custom pearl white vert with 3200 miles on her. The transport was bringing her in this evening but I had to leave town by noon so I asked my dad to meet the truck and put my car in the shop so it will be safe until I return 2 days later.
Well the transport truck driver pulls her off the trailer and dad does a walk around with me on the phone and says she looks flawless and awesome with all the custom touches. So I am super happy and now wish the trip was over. All that dad had to do now was drive her 200 yards down the road and park her in the shop, BUT that never happened.
Mom called me a little bit later screaming "Your dad has wrecked your car" as she is running toward a smashed and smoking Viper in the ditch. So I am yelling at her "Damn the car! Is dad ok?" well she gets to the smashed car to find dad sitting in it with blood on his head but alert and seemingly ok. While I am on the phone with my mom going crazy and my wife sitting in the vechicle beside me falling completely apart. I find out dad is out of the car and walking around."THANK YOU DEAR GOD"
But unfortuately the car is in bad shape(according to what I have been told and pics texted to my phone) the front and drivers rear is smashed and the frame is twisted bad enough the doors dont close in alignment with the body panels anymore.
The way I understand the entire story is: The truck driver had push the seat all the way forward to pull it off the trailer and dad figured he could just drive it 200 yards this way instead of setting the seat and controls to fit him. The battery was also dead and the car had to be jump started and in fear of letting it go dead when pulling out on the road dad keeps the rpms revved up in 24 degree weather. This was were the problems start the car instantly blows the very cold tires off and he is now sliding toward an oncoming car so dad quickly shifts to second hoping to slow the down the momentum but not having any room to work the pedals and he hits the gas instead of the brake and turns the wheel to the right to steer out of the swerving on coming car he is about to smack but the overcorrecting of the wheel and the hard throttle in second instantly slams the car into a dirt wall 4 feet off the road crushing the front and spinning the car around so the drivers rear impacts the sam dirt wall and the car final spins to a rest half in the ditch and half in the road.
SO now there is a slew of people everywhere taking pics and videos the ambulance comes to take dad to the hospital for evaluation but he refuses(he is just scared of needles). The EMT patched up his head and heads back to the hospital. I live in a small area and bad news travels fast hence my insurance guy shows up on the scene while they are waiting on the wrecker and doing police report and just a note I had not even officially gotten coverage on the viper yet(30 day grace period). And by now dads leg is hurting badly and he can barely walk so insurance guys tells him to get his butt to hospital right away and not to sweet the bill my insurance will cover it all(you got to love small town living and small town relationships with guys like my insurance man).
Anywho dads leg was just jammed from hiting the dash by the front impact and he should see a full recovery in a few days so everything should work out ok. I just got to my hotel for the night and I wanted to share with ya'll what is going on and vent out all the emotions I have had the past few hours and please excuse the lond winded and sentence fragments I am just all wired up. My biggest concern all evening was that dad was going to feel guilty about crashing my car and that is the last thing i care about period. I love people to death and any car is just that, A car.
But you know all my buds ended up on the scene and they all said including my dad that the viper was a sweet car and was even beter looking than my last custom viper so it would have been nice to see her in person just once before she was broken up.
.BTW I will post pics as soon as I get home. Also anyone got any suggestions on how to handle the wife cause she is dead set that they'll be no Viper replacing this one. Now What????

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey man saw this post before i was bout to log and im truely sorry ABOUT YOUR DAD, **** the car, youll get another one, sometimes we forget that the most important things in the world is family and good freinds. Im sure your dad truely feels bad about the car, and accidents happen, im sure your dad would have loved for you to experience the car and he will probebly dread for time to come the experience he will feel took away from you.

let the insurance guy take care of the car, the FIRST thing you should do is treat your dad out to a great steak dinner and let him know how happy and lucky you are to have him as a dad.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you handled it great. Your wife will come around, she is just freaked out at the incident. All that matters is that your Dad is OK, God knows he'll never forget this deal.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but he lost control so he shifted into second?

Glad he's OK, sorry to hear about the car. Pilot ZPs? Hope it works out. Good thing you're not living in a city all right.

My wife was against me getting another Viper to replace my Red GTS, but she didn't have an answer when I told her that since we lived through a head-on collission with a loaded Semi the Viper must be the safest car on the road. My second Viper is Sapphire/silver and a couple hundred hp more than the Red GTS had.

Ted

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan's response is good.

I'm sure you could point out to your wife that anyone could have done the same even in a VW. The car did exactly what the inputs directed it to do.

Simply put: PEBWAS

VERY glad your dad is ok and that no one else was hurt. You owe him a beer for maybe saving the lives of the people in the oncoming car, as well. Remind him of that one. It'll make him feel better.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to hear such stories.:crazy2:
Glad to hear that nobody was hurt seriously.

It could have ended with a disaster!

A driving school teaches you FIRST and ALWAYS to get a comfortable position within the drivers seat before you do anything. Not only in a sports car. Also in your DD.
:drive:
The engine can be revved up and kept alive with the clutch depressed also - no offense meant here, but I would give your DAD a voucher for a (performance) driving school :D

OP
OP
B

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I truly love this community so much and here is the perfect reason why. Ya'll are always so quick to lend a sholder or ear to a fellow viper owner. As stated I honestly could care less about the car and through alot of tears and emotions from both me and my dad I made him promise me that he would not EVER feel guilty about what has happened and to know that I would NEVER give it a second thought.
I tell you guys the emotions you feel when you mom calls you screaming that your father just wrecked you Viper as shes running toward the car is a feeling none of you have to ever experiance. I love my dad with all my heart and I think when the power came on it scared the living hell out of him and he just reacted how ever he could in the split second he had and you are soooo right I thold him to just thank god the oncoming car was not involved. With that car doing 55mph it would have been aweful for both parties
Thanks again everyone and I hope my wife will accept the situation for what it was(an accident) and stop blaming the car. As someone said a car is like a gun it is an object that can only do what you tell it to do and this is not the cars fault. Wish me luck here.
I love you all and I hope I will see you at a Viper event someday soon for this was the main reason I wanted another Viper, to be a part of a great community like this.

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
omg I can't even BEGIN to imagine how you are feeling now...and you aren't home yet huh?

I am sooo glad to hear your dad's ok:)

I got a funny feeling the SNAKE gods are looking upon you...and you will be in the seat of a sweet Viper again verrry soon.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man what a crazy story. Nothing like hearing "your dad just wrecked your car". sends you spinning into space....

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG!!! Sorry to hear this... Glad your pop is ok though... This is my worst nightmare... My Viper was due to arrive yesterday and my 350' driveway looked like it was just prepped for the Luge competition in Vancouver... The delivery got delayed with the snow across the country and the driveway has since been de-iced with 150lbs of ice melt.. This is scarey stuff...

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your new car, but glad everyone is ok. That's what counts, whether you get another Viper or not. Be gentle with your wife, and I suspect she will come around. Good luck.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your love for your dad made me cry. What an awesome tribute to how we should treat each other. As many others have said, I'm glad your dad is physically ok. Time will heal the hurts. And time will get you another Viper. It could have happened with any car. Matter of fact I've ripped out a garage door, slammed into the side of my barn and ripped the side of my truck open. With what you ask? My 33 hp Kubota:). Thanks for sharing with us.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your dad should not feel bad. Although I have never seen a statistic I suspect (and have heard stories ) that a high % of Vipers are wrecked leaving the dealership.

As a dad of college age kids I do feel for your dad. At a time when he was trying to help his son, he feels like he did just the opposite. I am sure it helps a lot though him knowing that you care about him and not a car that is easily replaced. Good luck.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear your dad is going to be alright.

Bummer about the car, but with a little buffing it will probably be okay.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would let my Dad total every one of my vehicles if I could have him back for only one more day (he passed in 1993).

Be happy nobody was seriously hurt (especially other motorists) and you'll get another Viper. Sorry for the situation and I hope everything works out with the wife.

George

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too am gland that your father is OK. I also wish that my father was still with us to offer his help. Once his shock is over you all will be able to laugh about this. Your wife will come around also. Have a great week & don't forget to tell your dad that you love him.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad your dad is fine. Too bad the car is wrecked. I hope it works out for you. I didn't think "dad" would have to be on the restricted drivers' list. And thanks to your story, I'm going to replace my aging, dirty, crooked, wicked_scary_bent_up_to_the_gas_pedal floor mat after 13 years.