My Viper Loves Motor Oil

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
checked the engine oil last week when i was cleaning the engine bay and noticed it was 3 quarts low. today im driving around and noticed the oil light come one for a split sec when i shifted gears. got back to my garage and checked the oil. it was 3 quarts low again. i didnt even do 300 miles in a week except for some spirited runs with the boys last sunday. whats up with that?

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better start doing the obvious like have someone look at the tailpipe as you rev it up, look for leaks, check to make sure there isn't any oil in the coolant. My '96 only take between 1/2~1 quart between oil changes with 10W40 Redline every 4000 miles. MGH

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Most definitely start looking for issues.

-check all external places it could go. (oil lines, cooler, oil pan, oil filter adaptor, etc) Also check coolant to see if it is crossing systems at the headgaskets.

-Check intake tract and oil/air seperator, etc.

-Check plugs, if you have one cylinder eating oil, it will be obvious with that kind of use.

That should give you the rundown if it is external, intake tract (crank case pressure induced) or internal. once you have that narrowed down, you can focus in on what it is.

I suspect it may be a valve stem seal. I doubt an engine as recently rebuilt would have ring issues, unless there was an issue to begin with.

nismobrown

Viper Owner
Reaction score
check inside both exhaust tips .if one side shows it's burning oil more than the other you might have one head supplied from new with no valve stem seals fitted at all .
this is hard to believe, but more common than you might think.if this is the case it is easy to identify and there is an easy fix without removing the heads.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
might be the leak is only showing itself when the engine is hot or at higher revs when the oil pump pressure is up.
Any signs of contamination in the coolant (white milky fluid)? does the Roe have oil lubrication fed from the engine, if so you may have a seal leaking.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like when during the gas crisis in the 70's, I sucked out gas from my friend's car one week and put some in the next week to make him think he was getting better gas mileage all of a sudden. That was a riot.

So who's messin with you ?

AC

stangkilr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you need to sell that car and get a 1992 corvette convertible...

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what's your crankcase ventilation setup on your car? catch cans or back into the intake?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wouldnt you think if there was that much going thru the motor, there would be smoke from somewhere, you would think that the exhaust pipes would have residue on them

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You might want to buy the Roe crank breather that screws into the oil fill in the valve cover. I would be surprised if you were pushing quarts of oil into the filter but that is one place it could go and it would not show up on the ground or in a smoking car.

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to buy the Roe crank breather that screws into the oil fill in the valve cover. I would be surprised if you were pushing quarts of oil into the filter but that is one place it could go and it would not show up on the ground or in a smoking car.

i remember you having a detonation problem before. all the oil is probably puddling inside your intake plenium and then into your cylinder causing detonation with your roe blower. it would probly be a good idea to take off the blower and see how much oil is sitting on that plenium.then clean it out. and also add a catch can before returning it to your intake tubes.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i bought it a while ago and doesnt work..still have loads of oil on my left filter..

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Do a leakdown test first.
I have had to rebuild many engines over the years with ring failures due to over fueling. If the tune is not right the oil washes out of the rings and the cylinders wear.If you do not trck the car, odds are it is not a crankcase breather problem.

Valve guide seals can be another issue, if your leakdown is good, odds are this is the problem.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc.
310-841-6996

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya