My Viper Started to Smoke Up

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so im leaving for park city utah on wednesday and wont be back till Feb 1st. so i went to my garage and started the car. let it run for about 5 min and it warmed up. turned the heat on and the heat system started to whine like a SC. turned it off and the sound went away. turned it back on and the car started to stall and the rpms dropped below 500rpms. the car started to smoke up. shut the car off and checked under the hood. it smelled like something was bruning. let it run for a few mins again and car was running fine. turned the defrosted on and started to smoke again with a loud screachin noise. what could it be?

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot help you, but please don't let that baby burn!

I have seen too many pics of Vipers burnt to a crisp over silly things.

Good luck Dimitrious.

viprvenm

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possibly the fan. Not sure what else would be impacted by the HVAC system.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a A/C compressor seizing up.....
Did you have the defroster on???
Cheers,

well i had the heater on and only works on the defroster right side. possibly the compressor. gotta bring it to chucks again i guess.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
piece of crap...anytaker for $45k without the SC and wheels? exhaust, heads and everything stays on it. 42,000 miles..

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey D, it sounds like the belt is slipping again, a/c compressor puts more strain when engaged. there is too much oil on front of motor. i have the new breather system completed for roe s/c'd cars. try calling me in am and i will help out any way i can

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, hope it is something simple D. All the problems you have had since installing a S/C is what influenced me to not put a S/C on my car.

Judging from the mileage you drive your car a lot, which is great, however if you remove the S/C and stick with the heads and cam, you would improve the reliability of your car.

Good luck.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the A/C compressor, probably had a leak, lost the freon. No big deal, new compressor/lines, do you have extended warranty?

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes it had a leak for the longest. had to refill it every couple of weeks during the summer. no warranty. anyone whow where i could get a used one at and how much would it run?

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
piece of crap...anytaker for $45k without the SC and wheels? exhaust, heads and everything stays on it. 42,000 miles..

Hey D,

Dont give up man. :nono: $hit always happens all at once. Sort it out.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a 100% sure on these, and newer cars, but in the past you could simply disconnect the wire going into the A/C compressor. This would effectively enable you to drive your car all winter and still use the heater. Usually the defroster engages the A/C compressor as a means of circulating lubricant within the A/C system. This is done to prevent problems with the A/C system not being cycled for months on end in colder climates like yours.

Problems occur in cases like yours with indiscriminate refills of the A/C system. If the system is loosing Freon there is a problem, simply refilling leads to massive compressor failure.

Anyway disconnecting the wire in the past allowed the heater to function properly wihout cycling the compressor.
An honest Viper tech can verify this for you. Good Luck

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey D, it sounds like the belt is slipping again, a/c compressor puts more strain when engaged. there is too much oil on front of motor. i have the new breather system completed for roe s/c'd cars. try calling me in am and i will help out any way i can

"too much oil on front of motor" :confused: He already has the new vent system!! More then likely it is a compressor problem and maybe that explains why the belt came off a couple of weeks ago! With the new program that Sean wrote for D's Viper it's been running great [that's what D told Sean], I might ad, that program only one other person in this world has a similar program!

http://roeracing.com/installers/index.asp Look here!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the belt to me. Mine did the same a couple of years ago on a cold night and it was the belt ripping and burning.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea i think its the compressor. ever since the accident that Compressor always leaked.. chuck just ordered me a new one and should have it installed when i get back.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These things happen..
We all get disheartened when things go wrong with our cars..
But when its fixed you will never want to get rid of it..
Good luck :2tu:

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get discouraged! It doesn't seem like it wouldn't be that difficult to sort out. Hey, you know the motor is good to go, its just this little BS around it. Don't be quick to throw in the towel. Are you sure the smoke isn't left over cigarette smoke? Just Kidding. Timmy told me to say he'd be willing to to trade you his jeep, the 350Z and his mountain bike without water bottle. Call Timmy if you have second thoughts.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey D. Sorry to hear about that. Really stinks but what are you going to do. I would just say to trade the car in and look on eBay for a new one. We can have a roadtrip to pick it up!!!! Viper run to get D's new car. How about a SRT?????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456