Mysterious Black Smoke

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there has to be some sort of residue on underside to give a clue on what it is,if there isnt,you know it has to be very rich exhaust,anything else will have a smell to some extent or residue.

rocman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bruce, when I left the office tonight after reading this post, I laid a nice 100' rubber track down the street in my GT500, just for you! Seriously, I did. :D

Didn't you read the manual? It says the ACR is to be used as garage art. Driving it on the streets the way it is meant to be will void the warranty. :rolaugh:

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roman, thank you for the 100' memorial rubber. Now go get another FGT and lay more rubber.
Another possible source of black smoke after looking at my picutres in high resolution again tongiht... Could that just be tire smoke trapped by the rear diffuser?

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey ACRBruce - I'd buy your car!

If 'gett'n into it' is bad for the car - it's a car I don't want anyway.

There's a lot of smoke there, too much for a clutch in my opinion so I think it's tire smoke that's a fair bit behind the car.

Did you slip the clutch a lot? Usually the tires just let go especially the PSC's and more so when they're cold. Unless you'd been driving around a LOT - and HARD before the burnout I'd say you were on cold tires and the clutch slipped very little. Hence tire smoke, not clutch smoke.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't tire smoke be white and more near the tires and not the center of the car?:dunno:

Can or will you try this again and have pictures or video taken from the side of the car so you can get a better idea where smoke is coming from.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the car seem down on power or smell like burning oil? I have seen the smoke before and it ended up being plugged cats and oil blowing back into the intake choking things off. Not a good thing. If so check the intake track for oil in the TB.
The car was not down on power. In fact I pulled in a driver in an '08 ACR that very day, along with everything else on track that day.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...but now you've got me worried. How do I check the intake for oil? Do I just remove the hoses ahead of the TB's?

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey ACRBruce - I'd buy your car!

If 'gett'n into it' is bad for the car - it's a car I don't want anyway.

There's a lot of smoke there, too much for a clutch in my opinion so I think it's tire smoke that's a fair bit behind the car.

Did you slip the clutch a lot? Usually the tires just let go especially the PSC's and more so when they're cold. Unless you'd been driving around a LOT - and HARD before the burnout I'd say you were on cold tires and the clutch slipped very little. Hence tire smoke, not clutch smoke.

I didn't slip the clutch at all. I usually just take the engine to a certain RPM, and then let the clutch out fast in a linear motion without side stepping or dumpping it. I started out at 2000 RPM, 2500, then more. Couldn't get the car to not bogg until about 4000 RPM. It was sunny and in the 80's that day (the day we had the big fires in Socal) so maybe the PSC stuck really good. It wasn't until I had the RPM up to 4500 that I was able to lay down some rubber. So the best RPM to launch on a hot day is probably around 4000 RPM on the PSC's. If you run the PCS's, you are now obligated to go out and confirm if 4000 RPM is the best launch RPM:eater:

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...but now you've got me worried. How do I check the intake for oil? Do I just remove the hoses ahead of the TB's?

You shouldn't have to worry about oil from the intake unless you put too much oil on an K&N type filter. I saw how an expert put the oil on one time, and he used a Qtip so if you put oil on the filter yourself and not with a Qtip, chances are though that you've put too much oil on the filter. Then the oil can get in or onto components downstream like the airflow sensor, etc. :nono:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't slip the clutch at all. I usually just take the engine to a certain RPM, and then let the clutch out fast in a linear motion without side stepping or dumpping it. I started out at 2000 RPM, 2500, then more. Couldn't get the car to not bogg until about 4000 RPM. It was sunny and in the 80's that day (the day we had the big fires in Socal) so maybe the PSC stuck really good. It wasn't until I had the RPM up to 4500 that I was able to lay down some rubber. So the best RPM to launch on a hot day is probably around 4000 RPM on the PSC's. If you run the PCS's, you are now obligated to go out and confirm if 4000 RPM is the best launch RPM:eater:

I wish I could. You have fires - we have snow. I'm pretty much parked until late March....:(

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw picutres posted by ASPIRATIONS in another thread and does it look like black smoke from the tires here?
You must be registered for see images attach

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO Vipers are not made for drag racing. They are road racing cars. Road racing cars do not drag race. Case in point here: have you ever seen a SCCA Trans-AM race car car drag race at a road racing circuit? If you want to drag race buy a Mustang or a Dodge SRT-10 Challenger. As I stated above, just IMHO which counts for nothing.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The smoke is coming from under the middle of the car and doesn't seem to be even close to the tires. And if it was from the tires, wouldn't there be two lines of smoke as I'm sure you roasted both tires at take off. :eater:

Still think you should try agian and have pictures taken from the side.:D

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an apparition of the demon that lies within every ACR!

Bwoaahahahah!!!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a manhole cover with burning coal at the bottom,ha i won i figured it out!:lmao::rolaugh::lmao::rolaugh::lmao::rolaugh:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in the pic. of the SSG coupe it looks like tire smoke within a shadow, far under the car, as the tires are pretty darm wide

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A launch at 4,500 rpm? I would boil the tires.......S/C'd with 3:55's......

Yep, 4500RPM, as I was trying to find the best launch RPM and at 4500RPM, I laid down rubber all the way on the ground until I backed off. The best launch RPM is probably around 4K. Now remember the ACR's have PSC which are stickier.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to mount a camera under your car and try it again. I mounted one under mine and you can see everything.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that's a great idea!

I have an ACR and I don't have an 'underside' video but I do have the following. It's not Viper related but it's still pretty cool and is likely of interest to any gearhead. It's an underside video of my Hummer climbing the Gates of Hell in Moab, Utah. So steep that I've seen Jeeps roll over backwards. Lot's of fun - scary as hell!

If you mount a camera be sure to cover both tires and the space in between. I mounted a bullet cam with a suction cup that was hooked to my camera. Make sure that you have enough ground clearence. That'll be a way cool video!

Gates of Hell Underside- Video

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! non-viper related but that was intense! Thanks for putting it up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62